The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2006, 11:00 PM   #1
Gary

Would I be stupid (replacing stock motor)?

I'm about THAT close to going monday and picking up a sweet 86 Silverado, the only real problem it has is, it has a weak 305, it has OD, AIR, the body looks like a 2 or 3 year old truck, not a 20 year old vehicle at all, interior is very nice, just an overall peach.

Well I have that pretty damned strong 402BB in my 72, and it should bolt right up to the 700r4 the 86 supposedly has(?) and it also has A/C so I should be good with that, question is, is keeping the truck with the original motor THAT important? Was O/D an option back then or has the tranny already been swapped?

What would a swap of motors require and what should it cost me? I'm no mechanic at all.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:13 PM   #2
bwright

Re: Would I be stupid (replacing stock motor)?

Keeping the original motor in a '86 Chevy isn't important to me at all....maybe if it were a rare or old truck....maybe. The 402 will bolt to the 700r4, but it might not hold up very well (early 700r4's were marginal behind a 305...much less big block power). The 700r4 was an option in '86....it's probably stock. Around here, you can get an engine removed and replaced for around $400/labor.

If it were mine, I'd keep the BB in the '72 and drive '86 as-is while I built a small block for the '86.
bwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:34 PM   #3
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright
Keeping the original motor in a '86 Chevy isn't important to me at all....maybe if it were a rare or old truck....maybe. The 402 will bolt to the 700r4, but it might not hold up very well (early 700r4's were marginal behind a 305...much less big block power). The 700r4 was an option in '86....it's probably stock. Around here, you can get an engine removed and replaced for around $400/labor.

If it were mine, I'd keep the BB in the '72 and drive '86 as-is while I built a small block for the '86.
Well I'm fairly sure the 402 isn't stock in that 72 either, but A/C was stock at least, it has the ac controls on the dash so maybe it really is the stock motor (the glovebox has no build sheet on it).

I'm planning on selling the Ford and probably the 72 and keeping the 86 as my daily driver and toy. So you think maybe sell the 72 with the bb and use that cash to get a rebuilt 700r4 and 350 or 383 stroker for the 86? What would a good used 305+700r4 be worth? Just hate to part with the BB motor it runs so strong and just growls with power But heck by the time I paint that 72, inside and out, get the AC running and get it on the road it looks like I'll be out another 6K easy
Old 06-11-2006, 12:16 AM   #4
bwright

If you're going to daily drive the '86, I definetly would stick with a small block. How about this...
- Sell the Ford.
- Build a mild small block and rebuild the 700r4 for the daily driver '86.
- Either keep the '72 with the BB or transplant the 305 into the '72 and sell it.
- Either way, keep the 402....in the '72 or keep the 402 on a stand for a future use.

A 305 (running) isn't worth much...$250 maybe. Big blocks are getting harder to find, if I had one, I'd keep it. But, I wouldn't want one in a daily driver (done it....8 mpg stinks).
bwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:32 AM   #5
Gary

I should clarify daily driver - I bought my 03 Ford in Feb last year (about 16 months ago) I've put barely 6K miles on it, I don't drive daily or even, always, weekly, especially with school out. Heck I have to be sure I don't leave my radar detector plugged up because I've not driven it for long enough stretches of time that the radar has drained my battery on 3 seperate occasions. During school days, I have to take my rugrat to school most every day, an 8 mile round trip, and about 3 days a week I pick him up, or the other days my wife does. So gas mileage isn't a huge concern, the 03 Ford gets 12.x MPG... I work at home and have no job to go to every day, if my truck is down I can use my wife's yukon, just drop her off at her job (2 miles in the other direction) at 7:30 and take the rugrat to school and come home. She's a teacher's aide so she's off summers too so it works out like a champ

edit: Which is why I'm ready to sell the 03, no need having a car payment (and the required full coverage insurance) when you drive less than 5K miles per year on average... And the 73-87 body style chevy trucks are my favorite trucks ever, I know they're not the most valuable but I've decided to get what I want and screw worrying about whether it's a true classic or gonna appreciate in value or not.

Last edited by Gary; 06-11-2006 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:43 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I would buy a 330 hp crate motor and put it in the 86. With the 700r4 you will have decent power and get good high mileage too. It shouldn't take long to drop that in if you don't have to rebuild the tranny.

Sell the Ford, and put that money into building the 72 like you want it...

Details inside

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:58 AM   #7
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
I would buy a 330 hp crate motor and put it in the 86. With the 700r4 you will have decent power and get good high mileage too. It shouldn't take long to drop that in if you don't have to rebuild the tranny.

Sell the Ford, and put that money into building the 72 like you want it...

Details inside
Well I plan to sell the Ford and use that money to pay back the credit card I'll use to buy the 86 Then I'll have 400-500 per month I can use to either really keep the 86 in awesome shape or rebuild the 72 if I don't sell it.

This 85 on ebay is looking mighty nice too, might take a trip to MS tomorrow and give it a looksee if the seller is gonna be home

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-...QQcmdZViewItem

The interior on the 86 I'm looking at is in a little better shape than on this one, just judging by the pics the paint and exteriors look about equal. The guy selling the 86 admits the 305 is running a little weak but still runs good and probably has quite a few miles still left on it before rebuild is necessary. And the price on the 86 is a little more (right now, course this one might snipe up enough in the ending hours of the auction to be near the same price). Any thoughts on this one?
Old 06-11-2006, 09:08 AM   #8
eagle23

The one on ebay looks nice. Are the miles comparable with the 86 you're looking at? Is the paint original on either/both?

Either way you go, you will likely be looking at a rebuild of the 700R4 in time, but that's really not a big deal; certainly not a deal-breaker in my book since you can get a built 700R4 for like $1500, and sometimes a lot less. If you like the truck, go for it.

If you buy the one on ebay, give us a lead on the '86

Brian
eagle23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
Gary

The 86 is at a local dealer for $4900 that's his asking price and unless he is ready to jew some it'll stay on his lot too. I know a guy who owns a transmission shop who will swap me a rebuilt 700r4 for a core (aka needing to be rebuilt) for $675 and they keep several of them rebuilt and ready to go out the door at all times. I'm sure if I talk to him he'll build me one with the toughest (or at least tougher) parts he can find for whatever extra it costs for those better pieces. He's married to my cousin and already said he'll be glad to help me out on any transmission work I need.

As for original paint I have no idea if either is original, the one I looked at in person was awfully nice for 20 year old paint but if it was garaged and waxed regularly it's very possible I suppose that it IS the original paint. The one on ebay it doesn't say it was painted but again you never know until you fine tooth it, and even then if it was painted right you might not know for sure then (at least I wouldn't).
Old 06-12-2006, 08:15 AM   #10
68Stepbed

I say get the 86, stick a stout sb in it, rebuid the tranny, gear it, and drive the crap out of it. My 86 GMC has a 305. It runs OK for a DD, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second yankin the 305 for a stout 350 if I had the money. Right now, most of my money will be goin to my 68 I'm restoring.

Good luck on your decision.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #11
Chevrolet4x4s

Nice Lookin truck on Ebay.
Shane

1985 K10 Silverado Vortec 406 5 speed (in body shop)
"I been drivin' this '85 pickup truck Them buddies of mine call it a bucket of rust She's a little beat up but she still runs like the wind Yeah, kinda like me I been banged and bruisedBeen around the block a time or two But I'm runnin' like new goin' places I never been
No, I ain't broke I'm just broken in"
1963 Dodge Townwagon(its amazng what 30 years and zero miles will do to a vehicle )
Member#20327
Chevrolet4x4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #12
Gary

Yeah I liked that ebay truck too but the fear that I'd get to Mississippi (3 hour drive roughly) and find that it just wasn't up to par was too great, so I passed on it.

There's that one at the local dealer I'm liking and a few more within an hour of me that I'm gonna go eyeball today or tomorrow. I'm gonna have me a 73-87 model to drive in short order, so I can sell my 03 quit making payments and get that 72 in the shop. Decided no way am I selling it, it's straight body wise, fairly rust free, and that 402 cranked for me yesterday after sitting for almost 6 months like a brand new car, idled and purred like a tiger (big blocks never purr like kittens). Factory AC cab with all the AC still there, no rust thru in the floor, plus I've got almost all the interior pieces sitting in storage bought brand new along with door rubber, window felt and rubber and new 60/40 vinyl seats, hell I'm married to that old girl till she's my daily and only driver. I figure I'll get me one to drive that I won't be paying payments on and when I'm done I should be able to get nearly all my money back by selling the DD (or giving her to my wife, she loves the old 73/87 model too).
Old 06-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #13
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

If you decide that the 86 is a deal for you,then I would keep the small block setup, because the big block is a gas eater, in anyone's book. Look at Chevy's direct replacement motor for the best price, but the upgrade would definitely be a 330 HP motor. I would also look at what is running your motor, if you have a complete computer system under the hood and dash, then the carb and distributor will be something to contend with. If your SMOG laws are like mune are un Kansas, then you can go to a Non-computer controlled carb and HEI distributor. That was the best thing I ever did on my truck. The 700R4 tranny can be built to stand up to a strong motor, but it is pricey to say the least. If you choose to trade out the trannys with your friend, find out just what he has done to the rebuilt tranny. A heavy set of clutches and a good shift kit is desirable in a 700R4 unit. If you want it to be a stomper, then look to see if they put in the Corvette parts on the governor.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote