The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2002, 09:31 PM   #1
mikep
Used to have a truck

Eighteen thousand five hundred dollars

First off I would like to say that I am sorry for starting this topic. Flaming ads is not a decent thing to do which is why I am not placing this heading under the ad in question. I will modify that a bit by stating that

1. the ad was not placed in the ad section. It was placed in the discussion section. so lets discuss it

2. The owner of the vehicle in question was not a board member. It was placed by a friend.

Anyway somebody put an ad up for a 350/350 suburban on this forum for a friend who wanted to sell it for the price of $18,500.00 . To me that seems like a lot of money for one. I mean it better be plated in gold for that much. Apparently the friend wanted to sell it because he felt it underpowered. I have spent all day in my head trying to justify that price. heres my best effort.

The best crate 350 made.. around $4000. It wouldnt really be undepowered though. add a new carb and accesories...call it $5g total

Transmission. $800

a reasonably straight used suburban. $1500

really good bodywork and paint on the reasonably straight suburban... $5000

new interior. I mean really good new interior $2000

new brakes, exhaust, trim etc. $2000. were talking good stuff here.

new wheels and tires ...good ones $1500

Thats the best I could come up with. Its short of $18500 but it'd be a nice one. I mean a really nice one and thats without really lifting a finger to do the the work myself.

The point being... The price seems high
Old 09-09-2002, 11:12 PM   #2
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Saw that one and just said nothing...silence is deadly! For my money...1967 short fleet side, 11 second quarter, frame off hot rod build up, NOS, big block, buckets with 5-pt harness, street legal, and appraised (independent insurance appraisal) at $22-$25k. It is now for sale for $15,000 obo! I have seen this truck on a trailer and it is awesome...it has all the goodies! The only trucks I have seen that bring big numbers are fully optioned original restoration show trucks.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 11:28 PM   #3
lotik
drag it like you stole it

it could have been a frame off restore done a by a renowned body shop. heh. depending on the shape the vehicle was in at first and what it looked like after could ran the price that high. using OEM parts and all. i have no idea what it looked like before and after.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:05 AM   #4
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

I will add 3 things to this discussion.

First, in your area you might find a straigh burb for $1500, but in the rust belt it is $3000 to $4500 99% of the time.

Secondly, the $5000 paint job will get you the outside only. I don't know what the inside would cost because my paint guy just shakes his head every time I talk to him about it. His body language is telling me to grab the checkbook and billfold because it will be his before the truck is done.

Thirdly, as a potential buyer, it is your job to justify what you would be willing to pay for something. Those rules don't apply to the seller. He doesn't really care what you would be willing to pay. He is looking for the 2 guys out there that would be willing and able to pay for it. Not the 500 guys that would like to get it for half price.

This isn't anything new. Vehicles like this are in Hemming's, on Ebay, and at the local or national auto auctions all the time. Many of these sell for far more than your or I would consider reasonable and some never sell.

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 11:36 AM   #5
Charlie Coleman

mikep,

I agree with da burb. I have been restoring a 68 GMC 4x4 3/4 long bed for two years now. I placed a GM Ramjet FI crate motor in, had the auto trans rebuilt, transfer case rebuilt and the paint completed professionally. Everything else I have done myself. The interior is something that is going to have to wait, but to this point, I already have $18,000 in the restoration.

Is my truck truck worth $18,000? Sure. Is it worth more since my labor isn't factored in? Sure. Could I sell it for what I have in it? Maybe to that one person looking for a completed project. Will people beat down my door to offer me that kind of money? NO.

The point is, resto's are not cheap. If the seller has that kind of money and time into his project, they have the right to ask any price they feel fair. It is your choice to decide if it is fair to you.

My two cents.
Charlie Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 01:14 PM   #6
mikep
Used to have a truck

they are pretty cheap here. I saw one in the local paper a few weeks back. 1972 burb with 60,000 original miles, original owner, no rust, original paint, perfect original interior. $4500 negotiable. I missed my calling buying these up and driving to the midwest.

I always figure a 70% return on my "investment" is doing pretty good for car stuff unless I just got a killer deal in the first place. The exception being my current 68. If I have $6000 by the time I'm done in it I'll be surprised . Of course I am not counting the cost of my labor and parts I was given or had already.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:52 PM   #7
Power Trip
Got Caddy?

I did it

I just wanted to show everybody this nice burb. The guy told me that over the years that he put $30,000 in the restoration and it's possible. The truck is clean inside and out ready to show. Trust me it would not be hard to spend that much on a truck. I personally think the price is high also but it is not mine. Hey everybody is entitled to there own opinion and he can try to sell it for whatever the price. Jim
Power Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:37 PM   #8
kenele

$1000 burb

I bought this truck from a guy that lived 10 mins away for $1000...it's not close to bein' done but it's a real good start. I guess it's proof that you can get a decent burb for $1500 or less for that matter.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2002, 10:28 AM   #9
Crank

Kenele, If you bought that badass sub' for a grand, then I think you should leave this board immediately, because thats not even fair. Nah, seriously, you only paid $1000 for that, nice find. Can't find those kinda deals in KY.
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 12:22 PM   #10
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Well I personally don't think anyone should put a price on someone else's truck. I find great deals on trucks all the time and I have a realy nice 67 3/4 ton Chevy I bought for $200.00. Does that make 67s worth only $200.00 now? I don't think so... It just means I got a screaming deal and deals are the exceptions. You might find Suburbans at $1500.00, and you would probly find more of those than nice $200.00 67 trucks, but that doesn't mean that is the normal. I think unless the Burb is totally rusted out $1500.00 is a good deal for a body. If all I could get for my 72 BB burb was $1500.00, I would part it out, because the parts are worth more than that. My point to this post is: No matter who has a vehicle for sale, it is their's to sell and if the price is more than you are willing to pay, then dicker with the guy. Chances are the price is negotiable and if not, don't buy it if it is more money than you are willing to pay. If the vehicle doesn't sell and the owner is a motivated seller, soon or later the price will come down. Pationts is your best weapon to fight against high prices. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 03:44 PM   #11
JD72
WTF

There must be some killer deals out there, cause I could see that kind of money.All new woodgrain trim for my 72 was priced at a grand. door handles, window fuzzies, rubber seals. There is alot of glass there to replace if that had been done. Whether or not they get the asking price is a different story, but its not hard to see it all add up. Body work is high around here for a nice job.

72 cheyenne primer factory air lowered rallyes with flat caps flowmasters 12 bolt 3.73 350/350 combo needs rockers . Cowl hood installed.
81 Malibu wagon lowered with 17's bright ass yellow and v-6.
71 225 Electra all original 455/4
81 z28
JD72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 03:46 PM   #12
JD72
WTF

I don't see where a new suburban is worth 30k-45k, but they get that price and they are massed produced.

72 cheyenne primer factory air lowered rallyes with flat caps flowmasters 12 bolt 3.73 350/350 combo needs rockers . Cowl hood installed.
81 Malibu wagon lowered with 17's bright ass yellow and v-6.
71 225 Electra all original 455/4
81 z28
JD72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 06:51 PM   #13
71402BB
now thats a true COON DOG

Thumbs up

The only thing I have to add to this post is, CHARLIE COLEMAN can I see some pic's of your truck? Sounds like it's going to look AWSOME when your done with it!! No I'm not being a wiseass I really do want to see some pic's of it!!

71 SWB Stepside, was a 250, now is a 402 Big Block with 4 speed and 3.73's ( was crushed by a tree, bed sold, motor pulled) was my first truck!... oh well...

72 LWB 4x4 350 4-speed 3.08's posi wearing army olive drab green (SOLD!)

68 BURB 50TH LOOKALIKE work in progress, soon to have 250-I6 with a 3-speed on the tree 4.11's and posi ( currently sitting in back yard tarped awaiting time, $$$, and lots of love!)

67 1 TON- work truck 396 sm 420 4-speed, flat bed 4.57 gears "big red" (my first landscape truck, very rusty and crusty! but still gets the job done when needed!)
71402BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 07:29 PM   #14
mt Al

mikep,

the price does seem high, but its mearly a question of worth, time and resources.

It would be very easy to drop $30,000 into one of these depending on what you started with and what you ended up with, but a guy would be really lucky to get anything close to $18,500 out of it. Even in bum-scratch Montana it will cost you way over $5000 for some body work and a nice paint job and the base burb will set you back over $4500 to start with, if you can even find one.

Of the few trueisms with these and other classic vehicles: you rarely get out of them what you put into them. I agree with you on the 70% return.

However, if you have the resources and you wanted to end up with a 'burb just like the one for sale you'd be money ahead buying a fully restored one. The price seems high, but you might easily spend as much doing the job, not to mention the months and months that it would sit in a shop.

I shopped for a burb for months before I bought mine and regret not spending more for one that was a little closer to "finished". I got mine for under $5000 and it has all the options. Others were for sale for about $8500 to $10000 (yes, and up to $18,500) that were much nicer. It will easily cost me $5000 to bring mine up to the other burb's level, not to mention the time.

My opinion: spend more than you think you can and get something closer to what you need and you'll be money WAY ahead in the long run.
'71 GMC 2wd 1/2T 402 nice!
'72 Chev 2wd 1/2T 396
'72 GMC 3/4T 4x4 2500 Super Custom suburban.

Bozeman, Montana
mt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 08:00 PM   #15
Brewski*

This list brings my truck up to 19.5K and then some.:You can have it for $14,220. The pix on the board are almost 1year old so take notice this thing looks even better and still needs lots of TLC to make her what I wanted her to be. Black Beauty~! The factory color 500 Black with upper and lower moldings(factory), chrome window trim front and back (factory), stainless steel door trim (factory).......

'71, GMC, KE2500, 3/4 ton, 4X4, Invader 350 V8, Custom Camper.
Brand new 71 GMC 350 V8 less than 6k on the rebuild
Completely new brakes including drums and rotors with new all stainless e-brake system.
New Heavy Duty custom-made drive shafts front and back with grease circs on ALL u-joints including front wheel couplers. Completely rebuilt Dana 44 front end with all NEW parts and new Warn Lock out Hubs.
New Headman Ceramic Coated Headers, 2.5" aluminized pipes with H- pipe and Flowmaster 70 series Mufflers. Best sound I have heard out of one of these 350s, not to mention excellent performance.
New MSD HEI with new spark plug wire set and wire management
New S&B Air filter (like K& N but Stainless Steel)
New Edelbrock 1406 Carb
New Edelbrock Performer Intake
New Edelbrock Elite Valve covers with Edelbrock Elite breather and Oil filler cap
New Edelbrock IAS shocks.
New Holly Electric Fuel Pump (in place but disconnected at present)
New Holly Manual Fuel Pump
New upper and lower ball joints RT AND LFT.
New Dash Bezel
Nickel Chromed Plated Glove box door, console metals, and shift rings (4x4 and 4 speed)
New Dash Pad
New 6-piece carpet set Gas tank cover, kick panels, lower doors, and cab floor all triple sound insulated
Rebuilt 1971 GMC Bucket seats and console with New 3 point harness seat belts.
Refinished original knobs, shifters (4x4 and 4spd), e-brake release, vents (R and L) with PPG Clear coat.
New Star bed liner
New Deluxe Side lamp lenses front and back
New Wild Country 265 60 15 BF Goodrich K.O. Mudders (less than 1000 miles)
Repainted Factory 8 lug Wheels
Factory 1” Chrome rims (new to me)
Factory Stainless Steel 5 lug wheel covers with front holes for the Warn lockers(new to me)
Factory Tow Hooks (new to me)
Repainted / Undercoated Frame, Differentials, and wheel wells
New Front Bumper
New Custom Camper Door Script RT. and LFT with 1 set of the originals also.
New Alternator
New Wiper Motor
New Washer Pump
New Interior Dome Lamp
New Arm Rests RT and LFT
New Door Locks, Glove box Locks and Ignition (all matching the same key)
Custom Heavy Duty Tow Hitch Receiver Back Bumper
New Fiberglass Jason topper that fits PERFECTLY even has space for the cargo light
New powder coated battery boxes (both sides CUSTOM CAMPER)
I also have all the stock items that were replaced above in storage for anyone who would like to restore it to factory including the original bench seat with the original cut sheets and receipts for everything.
Attached Images

Last edited by Brewski*; 10-11-2002 at 07:42 AM.
Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 09:33 PM   #16
whateva

It is like a bunch of old ladies sitting around complaining. I guess some people have to much time on their hands. Why worry about what someone else feels their vehicle is worth? The value of something is determined when the price someone is willing to sell, meets what a buyer is willing to pay. So what if it was not a member of the board. No wonder people are hesitant on posting parts on the board. It is opening yourself to be critiqued by certain "members" of the board. Seems pathedic.
whateva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 09:50 PM   #17
Shane
Account Suspended

Selling price has NOTHING to do with costs.
Price is the monetary amount that a particular market will bear....(Value).

In "Layman's Terms" - Price is what someone is willing to give for a particular item or service. Whether its 1 or 1,000,000 buyers, if the particular part of service sells for the "asking price" then it is worth it, regardless of how much "invested COST" is involved.

For example...take a high-dollar painting by some well-known artist. It is nothing more than canvas and paint (COSTS)......but put up for auction and 1 person is willing to pay some inflated price for it, then it is suddenly VALUABLE.

Last edited by Shane; 10-10-2002 at 09:52 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 10:05 PM   #18
mikep
Used to have a truck

OK heres a pathetic post from an old lady. That truck was overpriced and I could build a duplicate if not better truck myself for about $5000 less. $18500 better buy a show quality truck with a perfect interior and a state of the art engine.

Hows that? Its all dependent on how much your'e willing to do for your own ride. if you pay someone else to do the work then...well it doesnt impress me all that much.

IMHO
Old 10-11-2002, 12:07 AM   #19
Spoof

Just for conversation, I paid $3500 US for my Burb, the fella I bought it from sank in over 12K. He just could not find a buyer until I came along. He was heartbroken and nearly backed out of the deal on me, he was a stand up guy though and when I said "lets do the deal I'm offering asking price" he shook on it. It was my deal of a lifetime. If it was a pick up he could have sold it for 12k easy.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:23 PM   #20
BIG ORANGE

Talking

After read all these post I wonder if it's safe to say that I want to sell my burb,I'm sure everyone has seen it if not in person then on the pages of CLASSIC TRUCKS MAG. Oct 2002 issue.Anyway with that said she's priced at $21,000.00 but she is new from top to bottom bumper to bumper. Everyone tells me I'm crazy for selling but I've done everything I can do with her and I'm ready for the next project a muilty year model truck,I've got most of the sheetmetal just need motor/trans wheels/tire's paint body and some little stuff.Well anyone want a Big Orange Burb?

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote