The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2006, 01:18 AM   #26
nxtruck

Re: Will Trailing arms work with 700HP ?? Calling all DRAG GUYS!

No problem on being open-minded. I'm here to learn,and help if I can.
I drive this truck about once a week or so, and it's street manners aren't all that bad. It's not going to out-corner a 'Vette or float down the highway like a Caddy, mind you, but considering that it weighs 3800 lbs and runs what it does with a small block , I'll put up with a little less handling ability and cushy ride. Seriously, it's not as bad as I thought it would be, even with the trick springs and the 90/10s up front.
As far as hp, I've never had the motor on a dyno, so I can't quote any dyno figures. I can say that judging by what my handy-dandy Moroso slide calculator says, it made right at 780 hp with my old motor on the spray. The old motor was an iron-headed 377 that I was spraying 200 to, and the motor that's in it now is an AFR-headed 421 that is a good deal stronger than the 377 ever thought about bein'.
I'd say that the 421 is making somewhere around 600-625 on steam and around 850 or so on spray.
I've seen guys go quicker with less. It's all in the combination, and how willing you are to make slow, patient changes to try and improve what is already there.
nxtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:31 AM   #27
RSRXION

I agree.
RSRXION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:21 PM   #28
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

So how much forward movement on the rear end is there when it is under load? would a torque arm shock even move an inch? if the swing arms are securly fastened to the rear and the frame, isn't there just vertical movement?.. some of the torque arms i've looked at don't even have shocks they just have rubber mounts attached between the torque arm and the tranny.
I guess i need to understand the problem before i can fix it.
smoknbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #29
57sailplane

hey i don't want to argue either..

as far as the problem, i dont think you will have one. i have hered of guys droping the front of the arms down lower with a homade bracket but thats about all.. as far as a sway bar i think thats a must. the one that is shown is sold widly. the reason for the bar is to help side to side roll caused by the amount of tork from the motor.. this bar will help keep the front end from twisting from side to side and keep it level and if you are pulling the front tires they will also be equal or close to it in height. via the picture notice how level his tires are. now this bare only aids in doing this. the rear coils should be adjusted in preload from side to side. what i mean is you will probably need to run a hevier spring on one side in the rear than the other. one other thing as i mentioned way ealier an adjustable panhard is a great tool. by adjusting the panard bar in and out you can adjust the center of your truck in the back from side to side. when you do this you are changing the center of weight of the rear of the truck over the rear tires. thus being able to help control wheel spinage and twist. this set up is what i am doing.. wether or not there is a esier or cheeper way i dont no. anyways just trying to help..

later
57sailplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #30
franks72

rancho rs9000 9way ajustable shocks ,loosen the front ,tighten the rear,go racing..turn the dials 50/50 drive home..Had them on my 71 nova street car ran 10.52 129 60ft 1.52
franks72 is offline   Reply With Quote