The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2006, 10:42 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Front hub question

Ive had my 71 4x4 for around 10 years. I didnt buy it (bought it in a million pieces and had to scrounge many more) because I like to 4 wheel. I just really like the looks of them. Now that ive said that you will know why Im asking this probably dumb question. I was looking at a front hub assembly in the for sale section. They look very simple. What actually goes wrong with these that they need to be replaced? Ive never had mine off or apart so Im really not even sure how the whole thing works...heck, ive never even had a front driveshaft on my rig...lol. Yeah yeah Im a posser.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Front hub question

They rarely break.There is a split-pin that crosses the center on the back.It is located through two holes in the blue moving part of the cover(knob).If the lockouts get tough to turn(dirty,needing lube,or both)the knob can break at the hole.Other than that,internally, if the lockout is not fully engaged it can strip.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:41 PM   #3
qksilver

mostly any damage comes from not cleaning and lubing them. Like special K said if they don't fully engage or disengage. Have to be carefully when pulling them off because sometimes the small bolts holding them will break or seize. If they seize drill the heads off, pull the hub and then remove the bolt.
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:20 PM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Thanks for the info. Someday I may put the front driveshaft on and take this thing offroad...lol
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:39 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I just put a locker in my truck.But,I have a busted u-joint in one axle.Kinda funny.I should concentrate on fixing the front to get 4wd.Meanwhile,I`m doing something harder by adding a No-Spin.The first one only spun one wheel.Now I`m into it again,luckily I had twoi.I`m crossing my fingers.I want to see what was wrong with the first one.It looked fine and the ain`t much to break that wouldn`t have been obvious.????

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote