The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2006, 05:04 AM   #1
Lichen

1971 Chevy C-10

Greetings
I have a 1971 Chevy C-10 short bed fleetside 250 ci 6 cylinder, wood bed. I bought the truck in 1983 with [77,000] miles,now it has [465,761 miles] [original engine/no rebuild] . It still runs great on the flat [freeway] but has no power to climb hills. In 1984 I changed it to dual exhaust, from 3 on the column to 4 on the floor with a 3/4 ton transmission [compound low] and in 1998 I put in a positraction rearend. Because the rearend was 6 bolt, I changed the front drums also, over to 6 bolt, allowing me to run it with
9.50 x 16.5 tires.
This has been one great truck I have driven it all over the western United States,Canada and Mexico. With allways enough power to get me anywhere I wanted, plus I used it for my hauling business and fully loaded it performed any job demanded of it. I also drove it for years on dirt roads [and what could be hardly called a road] off the grid, in wilderness areas, like the Baja in Mexico and thru mountains and deserts under extreme weather conditions.
Because of the headers, it allways sounded like it had a 350 in it and over the years, everyone was all ways amazed that it only had a 250. I allways imagined that it would be with me until the day I died. Because of the rising gas prices [San Francisco 3 weeks ago $3.79 a gallon] and the negative impact, fossil fuels have on our environment I bought a diesel truck [1985 Ford f250 extended cab utility body 6.9 Intenational Harvester engine IDI] which I run on homebrew biodiesel and WVO [waste vegetable oil].So instead of it costing me $300 or more a month to get around it costs me no more than $10.
I am a backyard/street mechanic and I am also proficient in auto body repair, custom paint and fabrication.I am going to restore my truck for sale and I am looking for a word up [the engine also has a rear seal leak and I have to add a quart of oil a week]. I could either rebuild the 250 engine [better mpg] or upgrade to a 350 which it seems, that is the engine, that most people seem to prefer,what do you all think?
Not to abandon my life long admiration/love for Chevy/GMC, [before purchasing the C-10] I drove a 1952 GMC Suburban for 10 years [stolen, never recovered].For the past year [with 2 of my friends] we have been restoring a 1974 El Camino SS where we swapped out the 350 gas engine for a 1986 6.2 truck diesel, turbo charged [Banks sidewinder], propane injected to race on biodiesel on our local tracks.The 6.2 is a perfect fit but because it's even heavier than a 454 we beefed up the front suspension and braking system installing all racing parts.We will have a website up in another month or 2 and you can check out our ride "Grease Runner" at www.alternativefuelstechnology.org. Peace Have a Great Day Motor On
Lichen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:10 AM   #2
Lichen

1971 Chevy C-10

Greetings
I have a 1971 Chevy C-10 short bed fleetside 250 ci 6 cylinder, wood bed. I bought the truck in 1983 with [77,000] miles,now it has [465,761 miles] [original engine/no rebuild] . It still runs great on the flat [freeway] but has no power to climb hills. In 1984 I changed it to dual exhaust, from 3 on the column to 4 on the floor with a 3/4 ton transmission [compound low] and in 1998 I put in a positraction rearend. Because the rearend was 6 bolt, I changed the front drums also, over to 6 bolt, allowing me to run it with
9.50 x 16.5 tires.
This has been one great truck I have driven it all over the western United States,Canada and Mexico. With allways enough power to get me anywhere I wanted, plus I used it for my hauling business and fully loaded it performed any job demanded of it. I also drove it for years on dirt roads [and what could be hardly called a road] off the grid, in wilderness areas, like the Baja in Mexico and thru mountains and deserts under extreme weather conditions.
Because of the headers, it allways sounded like it had a 350 in it and over the years, everyone was all ways amazed that it only had a 250. I allways imagined that it would be with me until the day I died. Because of the rising gas prices [San Francisco 3 weeks ago $3.79 a gallon] and the negative impact, fossil fuels have on our environment I bought a diesel truck [1985 Ford f250 extended cab utility body 6.9 Intenational Harvester engine IDI] which I run on homebrew biodiesel and WVO [waste vegetable oil].So instead of it costing me $300 or more a month to get around it costs me no more than $10.
I am a backyard/street mechanic and I am also proficient in auto body repair, custom paint and fabrication.I am going to restore my truck for sale and I am looking for a word up [the engine also has a rear seal leak and I have to add a quart of oil a week]. I could either rebuild the 250 engine [better mpg] or upgrade to a 350 which it seems, that is the engine, that most people seem to prefer,what do you all think?
Not to abandon my life long admiration/love for Chevy/GMC, [before purchasing the C-10] I drove a 1952 GMC Suburban for 10 years [stolen, never recovered].For the past year [with 2 of my friends] we have been restoring a 1974 El Camino SS where we swapped out the 350 gas engine for a 1986 6.2 truck diesel, turbo charged [Banks sidewinder], propane injected to race on biodiesel on our local tracks.The 6.2 is a perfect fit but because it's even heavier than a 454 we beefed up the front suspension and braking system installing all racing parts.We will have a website up in another month or 2 and you can check out our ride "Grease Runner" at www.alternativefuelstechnology.org. Peace Have a Great Day Motor On

Last edited by Lichen; 10-10-2006 at 05:19 AM. Reason: spelling of "International"
Lichen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:01 AM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: 1971 Chevy C-10

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi. If you're gonna sell it, the 350 is the only way to go.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
junkyardjohn

I run on homebrew biodiesel and WVO [waste vegetable oil].So instead of it costing me $300 or more a month to get around it costs me no more than $10.
WOW.. YOUR THE FIRST GUY I EVER MET WITH A DARN GOOD EXCUSE FOR GOING TO A NEWER TRUCK WITH A DIESEL. WELCOME TO THE BOARD FROM SOUTHERN KY. SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A WHOLE LOT OF EXPERTISE, & PRACTICAL EXPERIANCE THAT YOURE WILLING TO SHARE. SCREW OPEC!! JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
TP from Cntl PA

Maybe you could put a grease burner in it and continue to run it

A 6.9 IH...........Been around enough of them, I try to forget about them, but sometimes I have terrible flash backs..........

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote