The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
b.sharp

Cool Front end options

I have a 79 camaro sub frame I planned on using on my '58 truck but all my buddies keep telling me not to cut the frame up and use an IFS like a mustang two. I really can't see putting that kind of money into the front end. I would like to here some of your opinions on which might be better and if there is a place you can buy an IFS for under $1500. I'm on a really tight budget and my wife would flip if I paid as much for a front end as I paid for my truck. Please help me !!!!

Thanks again,

B.Sharp:
b.sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:00 AM   #2
cajundragger

Re: Front end options

Im doing a scotts front end. Its fully bagged and the works, cost more than I paid for the truck, and when its done it will be completely worth it. I have power steering, disc brakes, correct width, and a front end that can handle the weight of a truck. This equals reliability....and will give me something I can hop in and go. Combined with the fuel injected motor I plan on running my truck will run and drive like a an '07. Front end will also give my truck a really clean and trick look.

Depends what you want. Clipping trucks have been around forever as where mustang 2 with a dedicated crossmember and non torsion arms is newer. Nothing wrong with either solution, just personal perference.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:35 AM   #3
55ChevyPU

if you know what you are doing or can get your hands on someone who does id stick with the camaro subframe. The subframe is just as functional as most of the ifs kits you can get and unlike the ifs you can go down to pepboys or autozone and actually buy parts for it.
55ChevyPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:15 AM   #4
Daniel U

Check out the Mooostang II end that TCI Total cost involved makes. Price out how much it will cost to weld up and rebuild the front end. Then find out the cost of the IFS you mentioned. They will all perform well. Just what you want to do. My chassis/frame wont be cut. The TCI was a cost wash to me, so it just saved me time. All I will have to do is have it alligned. It will also narrow the off set some. The F body front ends are wider. Just some things to think about. I have nothing against the subframes. They work well and are used all of the time. Just look at your time and $$$.
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
build thread ->http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=228674
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
build thread->http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&goto=newpost
1960 (400/T350/?) Apache 10 short/fleet side-big window
1973 (TPI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10 w DANA 60 front) Chevrolet Cheyenne 4X4
2013 (Vortec 5.3/6-speed 6L90 automatic) Sierra LT CREW CAB
Doing my part to warm the globe
Daniel U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #5
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

First off there is nothing wrong with a camero front end if done right. Since you have one already I would use it. You can make a GM clip look like it came from the factory like that. Second your mustang II does not have to cost you a lot. I pieced mine together and I'm at around 1300 total. Swapmeets, ebay, and I brought my crossmember from http://www.streetrodparts.tv/tci_mustangII.htm. They have the complete unit for 1639.00. You can also get replacment parts a local auto store.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #6
b.sharp

Thanks for all the info. guys. I have the subframe ready to go in. Total cost is about $350. for all including new bushings, balljoints, bearings, seals, etc.
All that's left is brake rotors, calipers, and pads. The install me and a freind are going to do so it won't cost anything but lunch and some drinks. He has done four of them and he drives his fourty like he stole it. I trust him to do anything to my truck he wants. I just have seen all the trucks on the site and at shows and it seams the more popular way is the IFS front end. I guess with my limited budget and having it already it will be the camaro subframe. Hopefully it won't turn out to be a hack job, but look good frome inside and outside.

Thanks again,

B.Sharp
b.sharp is offline   Reply With Quote