The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2002, 08:49 PM   #1
SWINGSAX68
Now the others dig........

Ever let anyone else drive your truck.....

One weekend I didn't drive my truck when I was in town....usually a few times around the block and what not...but I didn't. Instead my brother was like....LET ME DRIVE IT!!
Keep in mind:
-He has a little 87 Honda Civic which considering the condition of the shocks and struts, handles pretty easily.
-My brakes are not done....need some more work yet, pulls to the left some and power steering is...well....its an old truck,enough said.
He peels out of the drive way and I'm like okay.....I tell him to test the brakes....you know....PUMP...PUMP get a feel for were they work and what not....so he knows were and how it stops.....HE SLAMS THEM TO THE FLOOR AND WE GO SCREECHING AND PULLING TO THE LEFT DOWN THIS ALLEY.....then his turns are like super sharp and maniac-ish.....we get to a light and he doesn't slow down until about 10 feet from the intersectin and...he didn't test the brakes (which are very low) so he scrambles to bring the truck to a horrible screeching-left pulling halt. and rips it back to my parents house...we stop and he says...
"The Brakes need work and the steering sucks"
I thought.....NO SH*T A$$HOLE IT'S AN OLD TRUCK AND IT ALWAYS WILL BE NO MATTER HOW WELL IT WORKS!!!!
Some people don't know how to be gentle, they just asume all vehicles are just like their own.....I was a little peeved.

I think I would always have to warn someone....except my dad and my girfreind..
"My truck is old, and it just feels different.....be careful"
Does anyone understand were I'm coming from????
LOOKING FOR A 67 4 DOOR IMPALA!!!Just like Sam and Dean Winchester!! 'Cause Mustangs are for p^**#$ and you can fit a body in the trunk of a 67 Impala
MEMBER OF THE DRUM BRAKE CLUB
Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies Texas State University-San Marcos, TX
Certified Music Educator
I hope Mom is up there watching and being my Guardian Angel

"I've got a fever.....and the only prescription.....IS MORE COW BELL"
-The Legendary: Bruce Dickenson

"F#$@ 'em up!!!!!!"
-The Legendary: Rogelio Escobar

TRUCKY LINKS
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=457750
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=461184
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=472848
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=417541
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=477788
SWINGSAX68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 09:32 PM   #2
love it loud
Calibration Engineer

i hear ya..
love it loud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 10:03 PM   #3
Mudder

I do!

Actually both of my girls learned to drive my truck and took their drivers test in it. A shortbed with no tailgate is pretty easy to park. Lost Wages has driven it and a select group of others. I'm sure that most drive it with more caution than I do.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 10:06 PM   #4
love it loud
Calibration Engineer

haha, yeah probably, i know i drive other people's vehicles a lot more careful than my own.. don't wanna break it
love it loud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 10:07 PM   #5
Hooter
My other Love

I only let my Dad drive my vehicles even though he is one crazy mofo behind the wheel!! Like father like son i guess

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 10:20 PM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I let the wifey drive the longhorn,& the oldest kid piles in & says........Mom what ever you do, i dont want to be around if you crash this mofo!
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 11:07 PM   #7
XXL
Seņor Member

I can't even get my wife to RIDE in it (though, truth be told, I wouldn't let her drive it anyway... she has this problem with expensive wheels and curbs ).

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 11:07 PM   #8
Blue_71
Bloo

ive let one of my friends drive my trucks a couple times, but i wont anymore.. first time, we started to go over a small rise so he hit it with the clutch in and popped the clutch to make it "jump" onto it, second time he backed out of the building and hit his truck, and i didnt have the bed bolted down and he popped the clutch and pulled my bed off where it was hung on his truck.. ive never let him drive either one again, lol.. pretty good, my old 72 bed (on the 4x4) just slid off the truck, but it put a huge dent in his truck and busted the tail light
1971 Chevy Custom/10 (first truck) 350, NV3500 5 speed
1971 Chevy K20 Custom Camper 4x4 350 TBI, SM465/NP205
1974 Chevy Custom Deluxe/10
1979 Chevy Custom Deluxe K10 farm truck beater
1989 Chevy K2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson, Cause I'm a country boy
35s whinin on the asphalt, grabbin mud, throwin up some red dirt
R.I.P. Michael Stilts... I will always love and miss you brother! (9-12-80, murdered 4-9-05)
Blue_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 11:39 PM   #9
Brewski*

I have 3 rules from day one when I brought the RED ROCKET home:
#1 No One drives the RED ROCKET
#2 No One drives the RED ROCKET
#3 No One drives the RED ROCKET

Seems to work well around here no one wants to drive it anyhow when I tell them what it takes to buy it if they wreck it~!
Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 12:06 AM   #10
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Sorry, but I can't see any excuse for not fixing the brakes.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 12:14 AM   #11
A.P.
Black 72 Chevy

Angry

Let my brother borrow the truck and he crashed it. Never again will I ever let any body borrow my truck. Except the wife, maybe!
A.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 12:24 AM   #12
chevypete396

It sucks but sometimes you have to take the X-Files attitude and "trust no one"

The whole time I've had my truck I've only let one other person drive it, my brother. I sort of have to let him drive it he is the only one who will help me out when I have to pull trannys, transfer cases, rear ends, and engines. He has always treated my truck with a lot of respect (probably more than it deserves) because he knows if he breaks it he will be there helping me when it gets fixed. So yea I let him drive it when ever he wants.
But he is the only one I trust to even turn a wrench on my truck. I've been in similar situations with friends wanting to drive other stuff I have had in the past, finally had to put my foot down and be the bad guy. Now I just say "Nope, sorry bud."

Here is one instance of this sort that comes to mind right now is still an open wound so to speak and is the cause of my new attitude about these types of situations...

I have a 2001 Yamaha Raptor. Its my baby and my most prized possession. The most expensive thing I ever bought (with cash) and I saved for a long time to get it. When I first saw the then "New Yamaha sport quad" in a magazine I knew I had to have one. 6 months later I did. I never put even a scratch on the thing in the year that I owned it but I know how to drive it and am far from reckless on it. last month my friend wanted to go out riding with me and a few other friends with dirt bikes and I was like sure that will be fun. So we went out and told him to be careful and how the raptor was my favorite toy. He stayed he would be careful and he knew how to drive it cause his uncle has one and so forth. So I let him drive it.

2 minutes later he comes back with it and tells me something’s wrong with the steering and it caused him to roll it over.

My reaction was something like...
"WHAT!!!! *@#*^&$)(*@()+!_|)+$|+_|+!@_#((#()&$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I calm down quickly and was not even mad at him 20 minutes after the fact Because the kind of person I was raised to be leads me to believe this whole thing was my fault and I should have told him "No." There for I will bite the bullet on this rather than ask him for a dime. Perhaps because I am to proud to make him do the right thing in this instance. We are no longer friends but by his choosing not mine I think he is to cowardly to call me because he thinks I will ask him to help pay for the damage which shows his true colors and I can't believe I didn't see it in him years ago.

But anyway, the damage comes to roughly 9 hundred dollars worth of plastic an miscellaneous parts. Almost everything but the steering, which is fine. And I can bet my bottom dollar that my little brother will be there to help put the pieces back together when the parts arrive. Good friends are truly hard to find and I have to say I have been blessed with at least one...Pete.

Building the motor, painting the engine bay, rewireing everything...

(775)-527-1199 / ryanspeterson@msn.com
chevypete396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 12:44 AM   #13
low 84

i'm afraid of letting someone else drive it for fear that they will bottum it out everywhere. it take some getting used to to drive a truck with 3 inches of ground clearence.

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 12:47 AM   #14
palallin

No one has ever driven my '69, but I let my best friend try to drive my '67. Now, for a truck, it was awful car-like, but the only stick he'd ever drive was a Honda Civic

The next weekend, I had to put a clutch in the truck

BTW: the PS in '69 4x4 is excellent: no extra play, just enough effort to turn the wheels, and very responsive. I couldn't imagine it being any better.
Old 11-02-2002, 02:03 AM   #15
HvyChevy454
Slowly getting CRSS...

i let my father drive my truck, he takes it to work and shows it off to his coworkers.
I let my girlfriend drive it around a parking lot, i fugure that is ok she drives a 94 trnas am she can handle it.
The Heavy Chevy Website
------------------
  • 72 Cheyenne 10 LWB GM 12-bolt 3.08 w/ Auburn Posi
    91 454 Edel Performer RPM Intake 750 cfm carb Comp Cam 268/.495 Hedman Headers Dual 3'' Exhaust
  • 71 Cheyenne 20 4x4 Fact. A/C PS PB Tilt Currently in the works...
Speak Softly and Carry A Big Block...
There is No replacement for Displacement...
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

HvyChevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 06:14 AM   #16
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

My parents drive mine every so often, and my brother once in a LONG while...about as often as I drive his '94 Z28.

My mom hasn't driven mine since I did the tranny swap, though...but I've got no problems with them driving it, given that they drove it for so many years. They probably still know its quirks as well as I do...
Old 11-02-2002, 11:31 AM   #17
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

What a funny post! I've only let three people drive my truck and they all have had problems with the column gear shifter - imagine that.

The last time was my best friend. We were going to lunch so I threw him the keys. He jumped in, well, jumped up and in and closed the door. Course sometimes you have to move the inside door handle down to make it stay closed, so he couldn't close it tell I told him to move the lever down.

He then gets it fired up and the first time he went to first gear, it locked up the shifter and he couldn't get into first, only 2nd and 3rd. He had to drive in those two gears only. The brakes also gave him a little problem, not because they don't work well, they are manual and few people are used to manual brakes these days.

You just kind of forget the little things about your truck until someone else drives it. Pretty funny.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 12:40 PM   #18
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

My son had a '69 before I bought mine. Sold it after he graduated and bought a '96 GMC Sportside. He's now in the USAF and stationed in northern California.

When he comes home on leave, he can drive it all he wants. I will be proud to see him in it and hate to see him leave again. But, you gotta let 'em go sometime.

My wife doesn't like riding in it because of the harmonic sound that emanates from the exhaust system....40-series Flowmasters dumping just in front of the rear tires....and NO carpet or sound attenuating materials...YET. Just give her time, and she'll want to drive it. Let's see, I've had it three years. today.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 01:05 PM   #19
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

I let my wife drive my new truck. but no one has driven BB but me.
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 01:41 PM   #20
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I have let my friends drive it a couple times. One of my friends has a '76 Chevy, the other had a '67, so we let each other drive the trucks (helps when you know how to drive an old truck, lol). My mom has drove it once, and complained about the brakes. I dont see much of a problem letting someone else drive it, even be a little hard on it---as long as i am sitting in the passenger seat . Share the joy!
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 01:48 PM   #21
dion
72 Cheyenne

I let my Wife drive mine around in a Parking Lot a while back, she was suprised at how easy it was to drive, power everything and all but now that I've changed the Cam and a few other things she doesn't even want to ride in it let alone drive it.
1966/67Stouts
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 02:29 PM   #22
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

Heh, Yukon Jack reminded me of something...

Those column shifters were great for an excuse to keep someone from borrowing your truck. Mine apparently had a problem where if you didn't get the clutch absolutely all the way out on the 1-2 shift, you'd probably bind up the linkage and get stuck in neutral until you pulled over and "hit something" (as my mom and her brothers so eloquently put it). Of course, she forgot about it when she let someone borrow it during college...this was back in the mid '70s mind you...so of course they screwed it up.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:52 PM   #23
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Only my husband, but very rarely,,, My nerves couldnt take anyone else driving my baby.....

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 05:15 PM   #24
Mudder

Jodie?????

I'll let ya drive mine if you'll let me drive yours!!!!!!!!!!!
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 07:22 PM   #25
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

DEAL

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote