The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2006, 10:38 PM   #1
Low84

Truck feeling really heavy

Whats up guys. I took my truck out for a spin today (hadn't moved it in MONTHS so it had a little bit of old gas in it). I put some 87 octane gas and went to try it out. It is feeling really heavy at the lower rpm's/off idle, its not responding how it should to throttle. Uptop it feels strong and fine, but down low its almost like its going at its own pace.

I'm thinking the carb (stock quadrajet) tuning may be a little off Does anyone have a link that teaches one how to tinker with the air/fuel mixture? Or could it have bee the old gas (Its gas is around 4 months old) but it was a quarter of a qarter tank of gas left in it. Anybody else have any suggestions as to what might be causing this.

Here is a vid, I got flowmasters and you can hear the engine not really reving up quick. At the begenning I didn't really lay into the gas, but I was still on it pretty good, around 1/2 throttle maybe more. But the engine is climbing up really slow. It got to me and I floored it right before the hill, felt stronger there. But still the low end is horrible, it wasn't like this before

Old 12-02-2006, 11:47 PM   #2
grinch4om
dang its hot

Re: Truck feeling really heavy

make sure you don't have a dragging brake
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:39 AM   #3
84 400
Sb 400 club

hmm it is hard to tell in the vid man. Really cool you took one and all but hard to hear over the wind noise. Draggin brake would definatly do it but is the motor running sluggish? idleing weird? still useing old gas?
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

How old is the gas? Sometiome this year the stations around here switched from pure gasoline to a E10 mixture- 10% ethanol 90% gasoline. My truck hasn't been the same since (454).
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
Low84

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinch4om View Post
make sure you don't have a dragging brake
You know what, that could be it. I know that when I brake it pulls to the left side really quick and sudden. I thought that could be cause by the fact that I'm running a taller tire in the front-right (spare rim) than the front left. I'd say about atleast a 6 inch difference tall wise (I think it more than that though). My logic to this was that the small tire would brake first causing the truck to shift to the left

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 400 View Post
hmm it is hard to tell in the vid man. Really cool you took one and all but hard to hear over the wind noise. Draggin brake would definatly do it but is the motor running sluggish? idleing weird? still useing old gas?
Yeah sorry about that, the trailing trucks window wouldn't roll down so my brother rode in the bed of the truck, recording over the cab I'll try to get a better one later. I think you can still hear the motor rev (actually no rev) at the take off though. It sounds like I'm cruising, no accelerating, don't know if the motor is being loaded by dragging brakes possibly or if its is just sluggish It moved well uptop, but I remember the truck being extremely responsive to the slightest press of the accelerator, and its definitley not doing that right now.

The idle is somewhat weird, the exhaust pulses sound different (may just be in my head though). But I do know the truck died out on me a couple of times when I would put it in reverse and once on drive. Wasn't really sputtering or anything, just slowed down and turned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnethead View Post
How old is the gas? Sometiome this year the stations around here switched from pure gasoline to a E10 mixture- 10% ethanol 90% gasoline. My truck hasn't been the same since (454).
The gas is very old. Id say around 4 months without the truck being turned on at all.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #6
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low84 View Post
I thought that could be cause by the fact that I'm running a taller tire in the front-right (spare rim) than the front left. I'd say about atleast a 6 inch difference tall wise (I think it more than that though).

6 INCH?!

how do you drive that thing? Surely a typo?
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
Low84

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnethead View Post
6 INCH?!

how do you drive that thing? Surely a typo?
Eh, I was a little bit off. Its around 4.

I'm running on the left front a 265/50r15 and on the right a 235/70r15

I don't really drive it. I've been fixing it up slowly and got a race set up at the race track mid-to-late december. So, I took it out to see if everything was fine. I'm tired of those 15x10's and am switching to some stock rallies, I've been getting from different sources so they are all different colors. So I wanted to go get them powdercoated before I mount the tires. I'm running out of time though. I think I'm going to have to make a track appearance with black, gray, and green rims