The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
MyakkaJeff

Project 66 eng mount brackets?

Hi everyone...My son and I have started a little bodywork and separating all the loose parts to see what we're going to need. We came across a spare set of engine mount brackets. Previous owner tried to fit a 400 Pontiac engine but it sits too high and too far back(valve cover hits firewall). I don't know what they were thinking. We're going to pull the Pontiac and trans and go with a chevy 350 or 327 and automatic trans. The spare brackets are slightly shorter than the brackets under the Pontiac engine and the shorter brackets look like they would mount forward of the others. The question is which brackets would we use for the chevy small blocks? Also, any opinions on which engine to use? 327 or 350 . Thanks guys...Jeff
MyakkaJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
laidout

Re: Project 66 eng mount brackets?

it sound like they used inline 6 mounts i bought a truck they did that they cut 2 holes in the fire wall to clear the valve covers
laidout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
Chevy Fleetside

Dont know if you can see here or not but the engines in these trucks sit way back. This truck was an original v8 truck and I am using stock mounts.. There are an extra set of hole in the frame about 2inches forward where you can put your mounts there. If you use an HEI in these truck the cap will clear the firewall about a 1/2"..
Attached Images

Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
MyakkaJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside View Post
Dont know if you can see here or not but the engines in these trucks sit way back. This truck was an original v8 truck and I am using stock mounts.. There are an extra set of hole in the frame about 2inches forward where you can put your mounts there. If you use an HEI in these truck the cap will clear the firewall about a 1/2"..
Chevy Fleetside... The other mounts will only fit on the forward holes like you suggest, but I wonder if you can mount a smallblock that far forward? I want the HEI. I know the pontiac engine is alot taller. Also the pontiac is sitting on solid mounts. Has anyone tried a pontiac setup? You're probably right on with these mounts being correct, I think the pontiac is just too tall.
MyakkaJeff is offline   Reply With Quote