The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
OverRunWithSons

Help with advice on what older Suburban to buy-differences??

We have a 1988 Chevy Suburban that is rusting out profusely, and needs an entire back window & tailgate. (Husband installed 3rd seat when we bought this one used). We are soon to be a family of 8. I think our Suburban is a 1/2 ton (I am the wife by the way, so I do not know much), not a 3/4 ton. (this has an effect on Gas milage, right??), we don't plan to pull anything heavy, just kids & take vacations with this thing. God help us with Gas prices!! We are most interested in getting something that can fit 8 of us with the BEST gas milage possible. Our '88 has a Standard shift that we will miss, and we replaced the Power windows with Winders -which we will also miss, why it is that all vehicles today have power everything? then when you go to buy used, it is all JUNK & nothing but a Nuinsance. Anyway, what do you all suggest when looking for the best gas milage (Which motor should we be looking for, which to stay away from??) , we are only willing to pay up to $6,000 total for an older Suburban, Yukon, etc --any other suggestions, it also must be 4x4 because of country living & steep driveway. Should we look for something that has "Overdrive" , does this save on gas milage? generally, how long do these Auto transmissions last -when buying used, I dont want it to break down right after I buy. All advice greatly appreciated. Do people sell on here also? We live in Western PA, 50 miles from Pittsburgh, not too far from Ohio line. I know what we are looking for , we will basically never find, but would choose .....1/2 ton, winder windows, a Standard would be a plus and 3 seats, barn doors in back if possible (these are usually lower maintanice, right?) Thanks !
OverRunWithSons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
Ironhorse

Re: Help with advice on what older Suburban to buy-differences??

Wish the distance wasn't quite so far. I have a '91 1/2 Ton 4WD for sale here in the mid-west. Have it listed in the trucks for sale section. It is an 8 passenger, rear cargo doors, 4-spd auto/with overdrive, 350 TBI, 4 core radiator, tinted windows, tilt, cruise, tow package w/oil cooler, rallys, etc. NO rust issues anywhere on the body or frame. Always garaged, just don't need that size vehicle anymore. Just had the trans. professionaly overhauled and replaced rear axle, gears and housing. I have had several vehicles shipped using transports, latest was from Phoenix, Ariz. to Kansas but also had one shipped from Baltimore, Md. Cost about $550-$750 but I got the vehicle I wanted. $3,000 firm for the Burb if interested in that option. Here is few pics of it.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks

Last edited by Ironhorse; 11-06-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
OverRunWithSons

Yeah, that really is a shame, cause that is about what I am looking for-exactly. How hard are these to find, any suggestions on how to look , where to look, etc.

Last edited by OverRunWithSons; 01-13-2007 at 02:27 PM.
OverRunWithSons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Ironhorse

If you are looking for an older Burb it took us awhile to find one that was worth buying. To many were ragged out with rust, trashed interior and just poorly kept. I looked in the paper, car lots, asking people about if anyone knew of one for sale. Found this at a car lot with center row captain's seat as it was a conversion. Had those removed and installed an original center seat matching the interior as I wanted the seating capacity. This '91 is the
3rd Suburban we have had. An '82, '88 and this '91. The '91 we have enjoyed the most. Loaded with goodies.

As I mentioned if you are interested in this Burb it is a possibliity to have it shipped. I have done that with 4 vehicles that I have purchased on line. First one I bought that way was a '96 Z71 4x4 ext. cab pickup from Dallas/Ft.Worth, '86 Monte Carlo LS from Birmingham, Alabama, '88 Chevrolet Caprice from Baltimore, Maryland, last one being a '99 Chevrolet Tahoe. The Tahoe came from Phoenix, Ariz. at $575 delivered. Just about 1,100 miles. The '91 Burb may be a bit more as it is a larger vehicle but still the $3,000 for the Burb and shipping costs will be quite a bit under your maximum. I had shippng quotes on the Tahoe from the $575 to $1,100 and went with the best quote. Not trying to push the sale of my Burb but giving you an option if interested. If this is an option for you give me a PM and we can possibly work it out. If not, hope you find what you are looking for.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
vtblazer

Find a way to get the one out of Kansas, looks like a great truck at a good price.

For fuel mileage an overdrive is a must, it's more important than having injection even.

Ever considered a diesel?
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote