The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
tphsmith
still buypickupparts

Differential Case blues

well I got my NEW ring and pinion gear set Friday, Excited to do the swap Saturday, (wife was working so no Distraction) removed the housing cover drained the gear lube. pulled the tires off and drums came off removed the pinion yoke took lock pin out slipped the C clips out. slipped the axles clear of the case.(I worked at a American Axle plant in mexico setting up for the NEW dodge lockers for 2 years) the pinion shaft was difficult to push out?? well it came out and it was all gaulled up on top and bottom of the shaft, strange! with the pinion gears out after the shaft was removed well the I pushed the case out with help of tapping the pinion from the front she was out in my hands. there were some small metalic fines as I wiped and washed the axle huosing out. I didnt have the right puller to pull the bearings off thew diff case so i called my buddy up and he brought his tools over. (he had the right tools, he use to work at a dealership here). we couldnt get the bearings off the diff case so he suggested to break the roll cage then cut the race off, no problem. NOW here is the killer the spider gears were still in the diff case. we had to drive them out with a big large drive punch, guys the gears were frictiion welded into the diff case bad. but the axles still rotated. this would have been a very devistating issue if I had been driving the truck this way. (the truck has been a garage queen for close to 5 years now trying to get it up and running by MAY this year) So now with this issue of needing new internal gears and now needing a empty diff case I was not ready for this set back.. (this truck sure likes to spend my money for some dang reason) well so now I need to go to the parts board here and see if anyone has a good diff case. I had no idea the diff case was shot. bummer

72 SWB Fleetside freshly painted. putting a 94 LT1 with
700R4 tranny lowered 4 in the front 6 in the back

81 chevy half ton 350

89 Silverado 4x4 going ta church truck
tphsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
GREASEMONKEY72

Re: Differential Case blues

that sure is a bummer man, goodluck with getting it figured out

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
Psycho71

The rear end was the first of many surprises with my truck. A week after I got it, it munched an axle bearing. I took out the axle only to discover it had worn out the housing too. It probably would have been OK, but I had a buddy who had another 5 lug rearend under a junker. I pulled it, payed him a minimal fee, and took it home. While I had the new one out I thought I'd pull the cover and check things out. Good thing I did. The pinion had made some serious contact with the carrier. I had to sledge the pin out that retains the spider gears, cause the pin/bolt that retains the larger pin was broken, and stuck in place. So I finally got it all apart and between the two, I got one good rearend.

And all this happened on the first rear end I had ever messed with in my life. Needless to say, I not scared of these things at all anymore.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
tphsmith
still buypickupparts

lol, aint scared? this is my fisrt time replacing one, Ive test cut cases for American axle, Bellright, Dana test cut the gears for new venture, eaton, Superior guess I should be checkin buisness cards for contacts,LOL

72 SWB Fleetside freshly painted. putting a 94 LT1 with
700R4 tranny lowered 4 in the front 6 in the back

81 chevy half ton 350

89 Silverado 4x4 going ta church truck
tphsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:57 PM   #5
Huck

Just find a local member with a rear sitting out back--I've got several. They don't bring much, rarely wear out, and 8-10 will be good to go with a flush and re-lube!! Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote