The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
jkade

Guage cluster problem???

The guages aren't working in my 86 K10. The gas guage is reading wrong, the oil pressure, volt, and temp guages aren't working either. The choke light is staying on also. Anyone have any ideas???
Thanks
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
jkade

Re: Guage cluster problem???

Ttt>>>>
Old 03-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
jkade

Just went out and looked and the guage lights wont even light up? No blown fuses.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
BowTieOgre

Well when I bought my Blazer the lights didnt work, the engine temp sensor didnt work and the fuel gauge was twitchy depending on how far over the headlight switch was turned. I felt around back there and the printed circuit was frayed so I just got a used guage cluster with a good printed circuit and I was good to go, lights and all. Also, on mine there was a lead going from the cluster wiring to the frame just above the fresh air vent next to the E brake pedal that provided the ground...make sure that has a good connection. Hope some of that helps.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
Zoomad75
K5Camper

I'd check the ground for the cluster. Then pull the cluster and look at the printed circuit like above. The printed circuit could be cracked or have corrosion on the copper where the light sockets go.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
jkade

What color and where does the ground go?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

On the '83, the ground for the cluster is black and runs into a spice (for the other ground wires) then finally to the (GRND) bus bar.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
jkade

bus bar? I am from Alabama so I am a little slow. The dash lights do work after I checked them last night. The buzzer for the choke is even staying on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
On the '83, the ground for the cluster is black and runs into a spice (for the other ground wires) then finally to the (GRND) bus bar.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #9
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

glad somebody asked about this,,my gas gauge has always been off as long as ive owned my truck, but since i fired the alternator last summer,,wired the alt wrong after doing a water pump in a field..my gas gauge and the rest of them tend to be way off now...will have to look into the ground..
Old 03-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
bigpig72CST

There should be a ground strap from the back of the motor to the firewall that is supposed to work for the interior guages. There is another that is usually about 3/4 of the way back under your box from the frame to sheetmetal that is supposed to help with blinkers/turn signals, etc, and there should be one from your gas tank to your frame that helps your gas guage read correctly. Something as simple as a ground not making a good connection can cause more trouble than you think.
I just had an issue with my starter not wanting to engage when the truck was warmed up. I replaced the ground strap from the motor to the frame, and that cured the problem. It was a lot cheaper than replacing the starter.
bigpig72CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #11
jkade

Well just goes to show never listen to what someone tells you without checking it yourself first. The PO said he checked all the fuses and I pulled most of them out and checked myself but it appears that I missed on fuses that was blow after I pulled the cluster all the way out and regrounded it. Replaced the fuse and everything worked but the temp guage. You can ground the temp wire and the guage will peg out. I replaced the sender and it still doesn't work. I fell like a big dumb ass for not pulling every single fuse out before I tore the dash apart. What ya'll think on the temp guage???

Last edited by jkade; 03-03-2007 at 05:31 PM.