The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Is it possible to get drop spindles with 5 x 4 3/4bolt pattern?? can I make them??

well I already bought my rims and they only have holes for 4 3/4 or 4 1/2 patterns.. I plan on lowering my truck.. I am going to use a ford 9 inch diff, so that is no problem to buy axels for the rear.
but how do I make the front rims bolt up?? is it possible to put a different pattern of rotors on it that will fit someones aftermarket drop spindle??

for some strange reason I though my pattern was 5 x 4 3/4...
smoknbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
Frizzle Fry

Re: Is it possible to get drop spindles with 5 x 4 3/4bolt pattern?? can I make them??

I have 5x4-3/4 wheels. I found my solution here But you may not have to room for the extra offset (minimum 3/4"). Some guys swear those things are dangerous because they have heard horror stories (or experienced them) with the cheaply made and/or cast ones. These are bullet-proof. I've had them on for two years without issue. Even autocrossed the big block Burb with them. If that doesn't break them I don't know what will...
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Re: Is it possible to get drop spindles with 5 x 4 3/4bolt pattern?? can I make them??

Thanks Frizz, that looks like an option, but I am still looking into if I can get rotors that will work, this way i don't have to worry about something comming loose on me that I can't see..
Old 03-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoknbarrels View Post
.... is it possible to put a different pattern of rotors on it that will fit someones aftermarket drop spindle??

for some strange reason I though my pattern was 5 x 4 3/4...
You can take your 5x5 rotors to a local machine shop & have the 'hub' re-drilled in the car (5x4.75) pattern. If that's not a possibility, larger companies like Moser Engineering can do the work but you'll have some down time while waiting.

I have utilized both of these methods to mount the TT2's on my trucks. I had my front rotors re-drilled to the car pattern & use 1" billet adapters for the rear. The billet adapters work well if you have the right back-spacing (or in the case of my rear wheels..... I used them to get the optimum back-spacing).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
1Ton

I put a 9 inch in a Monte Carlo and just took the axles to a local machine shop and told them what I wanted and they did it. It cost me less than $100
I have heard of people doing the same to rotors. I would also see what rotors and bearings fit a standard stub car(early70s cars). They may be the same as your truck. If not you may be able to find a bearing that will work with your spindle and hub for the 4 3/4 rotor. Sounds like you have some time in a parts store ahead. Unless someone else here has already done it and chimes in.
more is better
too much ought to be enough........
1Ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Ton View Post
I would also see what rotors and bearings fit a standard stub car(early70s cars). They may be the same as your truck. If not you may be able to find a bearing that will work with your spindle and hub for the 4 3/4 rotor. Sounds like you have some time in a parts store ahead. Unless someone else here has already done it and chimes in.
Hmm I hope that Idea will work, I think i will try it unless someone else has done this before...
Old 03-21-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Ton
I would also see what rotors and bearings fit a standard stub car(early70s cars). They may be the same as your truck. If not you may be able to find a bearing that will work with your spindle and hub for the 4 3/4 rotor. Sounds like you have some time in a parts store ahead. Unless someone else here has already done it and chimes in.
I have done this many times when I raced but never for these trucks. I would say theres a good chance if you can find the right parts guy. I used to be the parts guy when I raced so the books were at my disposal. I still have copies of most of them but they are at my parents garage. I will try to get up there and look for ya. If I find anything out I'll let ya know and it would probably make a good thread for the FAQ's Pages. RJ22

SUBSCRIBE HEREBOARD VENDORS HERE

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
Robznob11

well this might be an option chevy vans witch are called G10 came with the 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern, now i know that the rotor will not fit our spindles cause they are smaller, i was thinking of doing this too can you tell, but i never rounded up a van spindle to see if it would bolt up to our a arms i bet it will but you might have to run a coustom tie rod end
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:50 AM   #9
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Well I just did a little more research and I think that the truck spindles are larger then the cars are.. but like Robznob said, that doesn't rule out vans...
perhaps there will be a cross over part with some vehilce that may work.
That would help me out a lot RJ22!!
as I would have a big headache if I couldn't get a bolt pattern to fit this bolt pattern mix-up of mine..might turn into a costly mistake
Old 03-22-2007, 11:02 AM   #10
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

I was reading that I could get my rotors redrilled for a new pattern.. can this be done accurately so I don't get any unbalance?

I wonder what it would cost? anyone ever done this?
Old 03-22-2007, 11:43 AM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoknbarrels View Post
I was reading that I could get my rotors redrilled for a new pattern.. can this be done accurately so I don't get any unbalance?

I wonder what it would cost? anyone ever done this?
A 'competent' machine shop should be able to do this accurately. Read the reply posts above. . .....

Cost will vary w/each machine shops rates & location. From what I remember, Moser charges approx $100 for this service (plus the ride there & back). Google Moser for further details.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote