The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
abadsvt

Push button start questions......

My father in law came up to see me at work ( I work out of town) and he rented a 07 Nissan Altima or was it a Maxima. Anyways it had a really cool push button start for the ignition. I didn't even see a spot for a key. All he had was keyless entry buttons. No key! It was sweet! I was wondering how hard it would be to take that or something similiar and incorperate it into my truck. I am not ready for it quite yet but want to start planning it out. Any comments about these setups would be much appreciated. Thanks Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:37 AM   #2
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

Re: Push button start questions......

It would make it alot eisier for someone to steal your truck but, anyway. I have only ever done it with a toggle switch and momentary on push button combined. (circle track stuff) switch is to supply your 12 volt to the ignitinon and also a jumper to the button. Then from the button to the starter. You can install with 12 volt always to the button and turn the engine over with out the switch on and no ignition that way. Alot of racers do it this way for oil priming reasons. RJ22

SUBSCRIBE HEREBOARD VENDORS HERE

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!

Last edited by RACINJASON22; 03-23-2007 at 12:57 AM.
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:50 AM   #3
GREASEMONKEY72

and if you wanted you could even put a master switch somewhere or even hide it somewhere

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:56 AM   #4
PBFAB.COM

Josh, Check out www.isqe.com They have an extremely cool management system for all the eletronics. I have spoken to the owner/developer a few times. Features such as push button start (the security feature is a small transmitter that goes on your keychain, if the transmitter is within a certain distance of the car the button is activated and awaiting your push) other cool features can be incorporated as well... automatic headlights... all sorts of cool stuff. This component is similar to a body control module they have on new cars. Read up on it, I am sure you'll want one... this system is a must for all my own builds.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!

Last edited by PBFAB.COM; 03-23-2007 at 12:57 AM.
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
mac

I'm working on a "Start Button" set-up right now. When I built my flat instrument bezel, I eliminated the lights and wiper switches. I smoothed the dash and eliminated the radio, ignition switch, ash tray and heater controls too (no heater, no controls).

I bought an ARC touch-pad switch panel and relay set-up (from JEGS I think) to run everything. My 7 switch bag controller uses a round key for a lockout. Master power will be the round key with everything else ran from the touchpad. I'm mounting it under the homebrewed console with a polished stainless strip down the center and the only thing you will see is the billet "skull" boltcap buttons just above console center that will actually touch the control pad underneath. This panel has a dip switch that allows each switch to be set for normally on, normally off or momentary on. It also has an LED for each of the 8 switches that is red when off and green on.

At this point I'm not intending to use all 8 switches and will only cut in what I intend to use and the rest of the panel will remain hidden until I add more stuff and do cutouts for those buttons.

I found a billet starter button on eBay UK that has "Start" cut into the button and is backlit with a blue LED. And like you, I got this all rollin in my head when I saw the start button on a Honda S2000.
mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #6
Bowtie001
Project underway - finally.

I used to work for a company that used that type of technology, but at that time, we were only selling the 'push to open' type of Remote Keyless Entry. It isn't very complicated, but it will be hard to retrofit an OEM application if you cannot locate the pinout diagrams for the receiver. Basically, the Rx will just act like a remotely triggered switch - sort of a wireless relay - in this application. Just get a key fob like the one you saw and a corresponding Rx from the same car (you can find directions online to program them). At this point you simply have to figure out which pins need voltage and ground and which pins will switch when the key fob is activated. You may be able to get this information somewhere - but I am not sure a regular tech line would tell you, you may have to dig deeper.

At that point it's purely DIY. Get a start button that looks cool and wire it up to the starter. Wire the Rx to the ignition and away you go. Take apart the key fob and have an aluminum bowtie (or GMC) branded case made at your local machine shop (or at work) and go to town.

Let us know if you proceed.
-Brian
Old 03-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
dan42

Or, if the tumblers are worn, you can use a screwdriver instead of the key. That's pretty cool, too.

Last edited by dan42; 03-23-2007 at 09:52 AM.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:53 AM   #8
Joe67
67 is sold

The Corvette is using that technology as well. I think it's cool

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:58 AM   #9
1972CheyenneSuper

I know a lot of people like the start buttons in Honda S2000's. I don't know how they'd look in our trucks, but I think it would be decent. The wiring may not be heavy enough though.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/s2000-04.html

~ $36.09

Near the bottom of the page.

I just found that BMW Z8's have starter butttons that are commonly used. I think one of these would be the best looking. I haven't found any for sale yet, but here's what it looks like.

http://128.83.80.200/mcoupe/startengine.html

Last edited by 1972CheyenneSuper; 03-23-2007 at 10:08 AM.
1972CheyenneSuper is offline   Reply With Quote