The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
bw4sale

Rust Neutralizer

The steel plate that the battery sits on in my lawnmower is trying to rust. My dad said you can pour baking soda and a little water on the rust to neutralize it, then spray it with Rustoleum Rusty metal primer and then paint. Anybody ever heard of this? Does it work? thanks.

-'68 Stepside Project
-'98 Z71 Daily Driver
-Enough extra parts to build another truck and a half
bw4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
65-72 chevytoys

Re: Rust Neutralizer

Yes baking soda is a acid neutralizer. If I remember my chemistry right you get sodium bicarbonate and a few other harmless by products then rinse and paints like you mentioned.
2004 Corvette Z16 #770
Wish I had not sold 72 blazer
65-72 chevytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
WorkinLonghorn

There's a better way and that is to rinse the area with lots of water and then apply "Naval Jelly" which is phosphoric acid. It forms a hard compound with the actual rust that is paintable and stronger than what was there. We used to use it all the time on an old steel ship I lived on and I can attest to it's value in restoring rusted areas to paint-worthiness.-Brian
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
There's a better way and that is to rinse the area with lots of water and then apply "Naval Jelly" which is phosphoric acid. It forms a hard compound with the actual rust that is paintable and stronger than what was there. We used to use it all the time on an old steel ship I lived on and I can attest to it's value in restoring rusted areas to paint-worthiness.-Brian
But, if it's the battery acid causing the corrosion, and you add another acid (Naval Jelly) to the mix without neutralizing, is that actually going to help?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
WorkinLonghorn

Good question Shifty.I don't know if any of the acidity would remain after rinsing. Rust itself is not acidic as you know, but I suppose I'd neutralize it just in case,then use the phosphoric.
Here's a link:http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Met...-converter.htm
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; 04-02-2007 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added link
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Applying the theories of acids and caustics. The acid from a battery is very low on the Ph scale and the soda from baking soda is very high on the Ph scale--so they cancel each other out. I would first kill the acidic effects of the battery acid and then do the naval jelly thing. To seal the metal, I would look at a plastic based material or even get the piece covered with a rubber material like Rhino Lining or any other rubber based bedlliner.

Last edited by piecesparts; 04-02-2007 at 03:26 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote