The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
jr2

Saginaw 4speed speedo gears???

Well I just finished up the interior in my truck. I put the intrument cluster in the dash squared everything away and.. No workie on the fuel gauge and the speedo Dang me! )

So the fuel gauge is a simple porocess of elimination. I'll get that figured out. It's the speedo that is a problem. Here is what I have done so far and have eliminated.

-The speedometer works, I spun the cable and it does register.
-The cable is good/complete all the way to the transmission.
-I removed the cable from the housing and it is complete with no breaks or frays.
-The Speedo gear that slips into the tailshaft is good, no teeth missing or anything.
-I can spin the speedo gear from the side of the tail shaft but theres no resistance at all when the trans is in gear?
-The cable is inserted correctly into the speedometer and the trans gear.

I think my problem is inside the tailshaft. I only drove this truck once for about a 1000ft before I tore it apart 5 years ago and don't remember if the speedo was functioning properly or not but I swear it was? So the question is... Where would I get the internal speedo gear for the tailshaft if it is missing or damaged. (not the one that slide in the side of the tailshaft, the one that is located internally.) The trans is installed. I'd rather not have to pull the tailshaft but if I have to I guess I will.

Any other ideas are welcome as well.
-1967 Nova 2dr HT & a couple others...
jr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
benoit454
Chris

Re: Saginaw 4speed speedo gears???

If I'm not mistaken I searched yahoo once looking for some saginaw 4 speed info and found a site that had gear ratio and parts.

So let me go search and see if I can find it for you....

ok the site I was talking about doesn't list the gear....

http://www.dandltransmission.com/saginaw.html

Here's another site, no gear though...

http://www.drivetrain.com/saginaw3_4sp.html

I'll keep searching but if I can't find anything I know a guy in NY that keeps alot of them for spreas for his malibu, I'll ask him about one.

Here's the only thing I found....

http://www.dandltransmission.com/partscat.htm

also found this thread on here...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...40#post2083540

Might just try and go to google or yahoo and search for saginaw 4 speed speedo gear, that's what I was trying.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454

Last edited by benoit454; 04-19-2007 at 03:40 PM.
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

this is the big block tranny right not the longated car version. Cause in my truck i had a little box that came off the tranny and it had gotten a broken something in it so i had to take it apart and clean it.

Like i said dont know if it the same tranny but if it at one time had that little box it might still need it.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
jr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srubydo1986 View Post
this is the big block tranny right not the longated car version. Cause in my truck i had a little box that came off the tranny and it had gotten a broken something in it so i had to take it apart and clean it.

Like i said dont know if it the same tranny but if it at one time had that little box it might still need it.
Big block tranny? I dont' know about that. It's a car version of the Saggy 4 speed so it's a "close ratio" box. The little box you refer to is a ratio adapter, looks like this it's not required to make the speedometer work. It's generally used to make speedometer changes easier than tearing apart the transmission. I had one of those built for my 80 GMC. The place that built it is out of business now so I am SOL.

Hmm... I have found some speedo stuff online. If I find wht I am looking for I'll post it up for you guys.

Thanks,
-John
Old 04-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

check to be sure you either:
A.) have a sprocket in the tranny to spin the cable when connected
or
B.) the sprocket doesnt free-spin inside the tail

those are the only two things I can think of that could be wrong based off of what you have listed

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
jr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlife View Post
check to be sure you either:
A.) have a sprocket in the tranny to spin the cable when connected
or
B.) the sprocket doesnt free-spin inside the tail

those are the only two things I can think of that could be wrong based off of what you have listed
Yeah those are the 2 conclusions I have come to as well. I just don't want to do it. But I have to. I'll crawl under there and stick a light into the speedo hole and see if there is actually a gear in there and if it is where it belongs. Sure don't make no sense to me.

That's part of this weekends projects!
-1967 Nova 2dr HT & a couple others...

Last edited by jr2; 04-20-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:43 AM   #7
jimfulco

Might find a speedo gear at the Chevy dealer.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote