The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2007, 10:13 PM   #12
71chevylowrider

Re: Posi Question

sorry, the original ad he posted had the word locker in it, which made me think they were referring to one of those locker units that lock both axles for drag racing, their fine for that, but would suck for the road, imagine trying to make turns in the rain? I guess some are called spoolers, but you never know what "they" (the seller) might have meant by the term "Locker" the detroit locker is a good unit, it seems to be more popular with the 4X4 guys, & I think they make a little clicking noise when you make turns, (it's the internal clutch's engaging/dis-engaging) it doesn't bother some, I wouldn't want to hear it, but again in a 4X4 it wouldn't be too big of deal. I beleive the eaton is plenty strong & is the normal replacement in these older Gm 12 bolt truck housings, & is quiet when it engages. It is a good discussion topic though, alot of guys here have eatons, & I'm sure there's quite a few that have Detroit Lockers, you could put up a post & ask about the 2 units to help you make the best choice for your purpose. I do know that the one in the ad he was looking at is the one that has alot of problems, I think their called a gov lock or something along those lines.

Last edited by 71chevylowrider; 05-16-2007 at 10:14 PM.
71chevylowrider is offline   Reply With Quote