The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
caminokid
Chevy nut

Re: I fought the law and the law won

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arad68 View Post
Thanks for the apology...That goes a long way showing you have great character and with me if that really matters.

I definitely agree about the old man minding his bussiness, He needs to.

It's never easy dealing with an HOA or the code enforcement officer. I was able to do it by displaying that I didn't fit the stereotype of the people they were trying to change. I presented myself as an honest, law abiding guy with a decent hobby and convincing them that I did care about their cause. In essence I showed them there was room for both of us in the big picture. Now they leave me alone knowing all of this.

I also believe that we are losing some rights promised to us by the Constitution as far as privacy and freedom, but I also feel that it is necesary in weeding out the people that have ill will to our way of life and who we are.

Sorry to hear about your arm I hope it heals better than new.
Its healing pretty good. As long as I have the pain killers in me...I can do what I am supposed to do. I had the neighbor pacing in his yard today. I took the trailer apart to get the Posi out from under it and put a non posi back in. I even took the bed off...I guess out of spite. It made it easier to get to the trailing arm bolts. The whole time I am out there...the neighbor was pacing back and forth to his garage. When I was done...the trailer was back together and I cleaned up the stuff that was in the trailer...put it right back in it. Nothing left on the ground. I was hoping he was going to come over and tell me I wasnt going to do that....I had everything planned out in my mind of what I was going to say to him. If I was to tell you guys what I was going to say....there would be alot of $^%&^(*()&)(_*)(^&^$^#%#@!

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"

Last edited by caminokid; 06-14-2008 at 04:55 PM.
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Illegal is illegal in the eyes of the court system. That is the only point I was trying to make.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
odog

This is a tough subject. I agree Illegal is Illegal, but what sucks is when somebody moves into the neighborhood and gets the rules changed in their favor. Here in Southern Idaho, the ground is all rock, so we blast for basically everything. We have been plagued by problems like this. People move into these new highend subdivions that have just been built. We have been there for months blasting, and sawing in water and sewer lines. They want a huge house with a basement, so we blast one in for them. Another family buys a lot next door, also wanting a huge house with a basement. Well we have to do preblast inspections on house #1, sismographing, and everything else to cover our asses, but the people in the 1st house say hey wait a minute, we don't want any blasting around here, you can't do that, then they get the rules changed so that there will be no blasting assuring the 2nd people and others following basically no basements. This is crap. Its the same old thing "It's fine for me but not for you."

If something is being done that is illegal, it needs to be stopped, but if it is legal and still de-values someone elses property, that's life. We have turned into a country who worry too much about what our neighbors are doing. Busting the nighborhood Meth house or the 50 illegal's that live in the same house on the corner is one thing, but leave the guy alone who makes a couple extra bucks to feed his family by fixing cars in his driveway after work. Everybody needs to worry about themselves more and the neighbors less, and we would be a better place for it.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by odog View Post
"It's fine for me but not for you."
Thats whats called a double standard. We can do it but your not going to do it. I had an ex that was like that...she could do what she wanted...but I couldnt. This is why she is an ex. She is now making someone else life miserable. I dont live in the nicest part of Springfield IL. This place has car sitting all over the place. The neighbor that is causing most of the problems here...has the whole neighborhood mad. The neighbor on the other side of this guy...told him to get off his property or he was going to drop his old ass. The neighbor on the other side of me...is a county cop. He got crappy with him...now the cop is waiting for his chance to nail him when he is driving. The neighbor down on the corner...has a International Scout. Restored. This guy calls on him once a week cause he doesnt drive it at all. So the guy moves it just enough so it cant be messed with. The only thing I dont understand there is... the guy has a garage. He wont put it in there.

Now this neighbor thats causing trouble for everyone has ticked off 4 guys that would love to catch him in a dark alley. People need to keep there noses in their own business. Just because I have a trailer and a truck....that is a DD in the drive....he thinks that has to go. Just because its old. Hes old too. Maybe he needs to go.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
72cheysuper

The yard police can be ridiculous and unfair sometimes. I live in the city and you cant offend the "neighbors" by having an (unregistered or untagged) vehicle in your yard or driveway. It can look like hell or not even run, but cant offend the "neighbors" by not having a current sticker on it. If the yard police spot it, you have 72 hours to get rid of it or comply. But, it is perfectly legal to have a couple of dogs in your yard yapping all night long. Several years back in Ohio, I had no choice but to send a very nice 68 442 to the crusher because of a complaint and lack of storage. Is it legal to put a privacy fence around your place and paint a nice junk yard scene on the outside?
72cheysuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #6
jimfulco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72cheysuper View Post
Is it legal to put a privacy fence around your place and paint a nice junk yard scene on the outside?

Screw some real junkyard parts (doors, fenders, etc.) on it for a nice 3-D effect.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:52 AM   #7
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Smile Re: I fought the law and the law won

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Illegal is illegal in the eyes of the court system. That is the only point I was trying to make.
This sure is an emotive subject so I "respectfully" say,
There are degrees of unacceptability ..crack dens, repeated late night partys, burnouts in the drive etc, etc, are for most of us unacceptable, but storing your old parts cars on your own land wouldn't get me running for the phone. And just quoting legalities doesn't make it right either...there are numerous laws out there that are as nonsensical as a drinking ban in a pub. get rid of ridiculous and restrictive laws and bring back comon sense.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
leddzepp

Gotta agree with Shane on this one!

Last edited by leddzepp; 06-12-2008 at 07:05 PM. Reason: misspelled word
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

"Is it legal to put a privacy fence around your place and paint a nice junk yard scene on the outside?"

i like that idea.

"Adios to all the concrete; Gonna get me some dirt road back streets"
jayharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

Many members have made reference to intances like that and that it was considered art - so it was ok. I considered having a mural painted on my fence at my first property. I've considered just painting the backside (the complaining neighbor's side) a bright orange or green. Something extremely gaudy.
blazer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:07 AM   #11
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

As bad as the above is, think of kids these days. They have it tough in some ways. Xero tolerance at school, etc. A friend was telling me tonight that her/their HOA has made a rule against kids playing by the creek catching crawdads and poking things with sticks. Her son is 10.

Apparently the HOA is concerned about the environmental damage from 10 year olds with sticks... Huh!?

Sorry if its off topic!

Last edited by 72lb4x4; 06-14-2008 at 01:08 AM.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:34 AM   #12
bowtieboy93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lb4x4 View Post
As bad as the above is, think of kids these days. They have it tough in some ways. Xero tolerance at school, etc. A friend was telling me tonight that her/their HOA has made a rule against kids playing by the creek catching crawdads and poking things with sticks. Her son is 10.

Apparently the HOA is concerned about the environmental damage from 10 year olds with sticks... Huh!?

Sorry if its off topic!
i work for a fish company in Ladner (not far from the border) and HOA is not allowing us to fish somethings in Ladner yet they are allowed to in Blaine Washington 30 mins away. they say this due to depletion of fish. I dont think theyve caught on that fish dont know what a border is!
1991 GMC Sonoma, IROCS s10 grill
1963 Ford Galaxie 351/C4
bowtieboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:17 AM   #13
raggedjim

This got me to thinking about my neighborhood. I live out in the country with no quazi-nazi hoa's, but there is still a state law that you can have only one unregistered vehicle and it must be hidden from public view (car cover, garage, behind a fence, etc.)

This is obviously not strictly enforced in some areas. Where the problem comes in is when the farmers sellout to developers and they subdivide and sell to people who don't seem to realize they now live in the country. They aren't accustomed to my rooster crowing at 5:30 (I told him not to, but he's hard-headed...), people running coon-dogs over the weekend, tractors and combines having right-of way, people dove-deer-squirrel hunting, or me taking a leak off my back deck...

I've had one "lady" mention my mini-junkyard (I have 4 acres and I have 3 trucks parked at the very back that aren't visable from the main road, but if you walk the trail back to the natural spring you can look over the hedgerow and see them) I told her that when she pays my property taxes, then I will consider moving them.

But I realize that some day someone else's "rights" will determine what I can keep in my own back yard. On that day I will become the old man who chases kids out of my apple tree and calls the cops when the neighbors dog gets loose...

Rg

P.S. I remember when I was thinking of buying some property from my grandmother to build a house. It was 2 acres at the very back of her 150 acres, so she very seldom went out there. The property line was adjacent to a subdivision, so I parked at the end of the subdivision cul-de-sac (the division was platted out to my grandmothers line, but she wouldn't sell to the developer so he cul de-sac'd it) and walked out to the property and was looking it over.

There were golf balls EVERYWHERE! I went back to my truck and grabbed an empty 5 gallon paint can and started gathering the golf balls up. Well, before you know it some guy came over and asked who I was and what was I doing. I told him my name and that I was picking up golf balls, then I asked his name and he told me and said those are my golf balls. I said are you sure, because I'm taking them to the sheriff's department and filing a complaint of trespassing and illegal dumping. That guy started backpeddling and saying he wasn't dumping that he picked them up on a regular basis, so I asked if he was a habitual trespasser. He said he wasn't hurting anything and I said that's not the point. I also told him I was thinking of putting in a chicken house on that property, you should have seen his face. Anyway I got a bunch of golfballs and had a good time watching him sweat.

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203

Last edited by raggedjim; 06-16-2008 at 11:02 AM.
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #14
odog

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
This got me to thinking about my neighborhood. I live out in the country with no quazi-nazi hoa's, but there is still a state law that you can have only one unregistered vehicle and it must be hidden from public view (car cover, garage, behind a fence, etc.)

This is obviously not strictly enforced in some areas. Where the problem comes in is when the farmers sellout to developers and they subdivide and sell to people who don't seem to realize they now live in the country. They aren't accustomed to my rooster crowing at 5:30 (I told him not to, but he's hard-headed...), people running coon-dogs over the weekend, tractors and combines having right-of way, people dove-deer-squirrel hunting, or me taking a leak off my back deck.......
I agree. People who move out to the new subdivisions don't realize they moved to the country. Different rules apply in the country. What it comes down to is one person should not have the ability to dictate what another can store on his land. I wouldn't care if my neighbor had a herd of Lexus' parked on his front lawn, it's his place he should be able to do what he wants, with in legal limits. When I lived in Montana, people in town had roosters, hell the one neigbor to the south of me had goats and a couple of angus' running around the backyard. Didin't hurt anybody and nobody complained, just minded their own business.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:06 PM   #15
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by odog View Post
I agree. People who move out to the new subdivisions don't realize they moved to the country. Different rules apply in the country. What it comes down to is one person should not have the ability to dictate what another can store on his land. I wouldn't care if my neighbor had a herd of Lexus' parked on his front lawn, it's his place he should be able to do what he wants, with in legal limits. When I lived in Montana, people in town had roosters, hell the one neigbor to the south of me had goats and a couple of angus' running around the backyard. Didin't hurt anybody and nobody complained, just minded their own business.
Thats the way it should be.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #16
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

Its like the old Hank Williams song "if you wind your business, then you'll be buzy all the time''

"Adios to all the concrete; Gonna get me some dirt road back streets"
jayharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #17
isdeleon

that is why i live in an apartment but i can't wait to get a house, hopefully i won't have problems with the neighboors, wish me luck