The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2007, 10:55 AM   #26
Slammed70

Re: some observations about the 67-72 community

I dont know Lilred....87+ TBI is simple, easy...and all kinds of reliable. Id prefer it over a carburetor any day.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #27
lilred67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammed70 View Post
I dont know Lilred....87+ TBI is simple, easy...and all kinds of reliable. Id prefer it over a carburetor any day.
yes they are easier to work on than some of the other fuel injected motors,but for some one as computer challenged as me i would rather work on a carb..
lilred67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:33 PM   #28
jimmydean

Based on how well (or not so well, I should say) a lot of 88+ trucks have fared over the years, I would be surprised to see any of them hit the 25 year mark. Hell, a lot of 73-87's have met the crusher long before anyone considered them to be worth saving.

At least in Oregon, cars/trucks have to be pre '75 (unless it's changed and I never noticed) to be void of DEQ smog testing. So a lot of '75 and newer trucks get left in the dust.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #29
BurnoutNova

i think its the other way around... fuel injected engines are WAY easier to work on. unless your just swapping carbs, they can be VERY difficult to get adjusted perfect. especially feedback carbeurators.

there seems to be alot of people that are scared to work on fuel injected stuff, but it really is easier... less parts, and much less of a guessing game than adjusting carbs
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #30
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
Based on how well (or not so well, I should say) a lot of 88+ trucks have fared over the years, I would be surprised to see any of them hit the 25 year mark. Hell, a lot of 73-87's have met the crusher long before anyone considered them to be worth saving.

At least in Oregon, cars/trucks have to be pre '75 (unless it's changed and I never noticed) to be void of DEQ smog testing. So a lot of '75 and newer trucks get left in the dust.
that is a good point, but i know in some of the staes they do emission testing, they take into account the vehichle is old and not going to be as efficient as it was when new.

my uncle owns a shop in new york (extremely tuff on emmisions) and he is a certifies inspection/ emmisions testing station and you'd be suprised how lienient they are on older stuff. the safety stuff is where most of them fail.
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:44 PM   #31
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

I don't think there will be anything really demaned over an 88 and newer truck. The only thing to make our old ones get the kinda milage and dependability in some cases is to combine the 2. The new engines and trannys work great in out trucks. I love the GMC CC I have as my DD but it will never last as long as my 68. I don't forsee their ever being another sout after east to work on vehicle ever again
Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3483616
jsbgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:34 PM   #32
eedgell
It's the air up here

As far as milage goes, dont forget that back then 5000 miles or less was the norm. Not till modern day have we traveled so many miles a year and think that that is normal. They did not drive to town for a pack of smokes or a 6 pack of coke. You did with out untill someone was going to town for something else. We today "Go to town" for anything. If you think one of these trucks will not go the distance on mileage I think you are wrong. They will. They just did not use trucks or cars for that matter that way back then. Today you will commute 60 miles one way to work and not think about it. Back then they just did not do that. The closest big town to us then was 60 miles one way. We did it, but only maybe once a month or less. Times have changed.

Never drink down stream of the herd!

Eric
eedgell is offline   Reply With Quote