The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
Sidphoenix

Stage 1 - Body Work (Advice?)

Starting to work on my truck, and I was wondering if you guys had any tips for pulling dents and getting all that surface rust off.

Here are some questions for ya:
What type of sand paper should I use? Should I add anything to my primer when I use my spray gun? What's the best (and/or easiest) way to get out some big dents? Hows my truck look?

Sidphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

Re: Stage 1 - Body Work (Advice?)

My suggestion would be to work on a panel at a time. Take the trim off of the panel you are working on first. Then 80 grit the surface to clean off the rust to the best of your ability being careful to keep the dual action sander flat to the surface. After sanding spray the panel with a conversion coating and follow the product directions which usually requires rinsing with water and drying thorougly. Next I would epoxy prime the panel. Then move on to the next panel. Little by little you'll get there. If you have any dents or rust in the panels you want to take care of those areas of the panel first by sanding to metal and then the dent repair or cut and and welding of new patch panel then continue with the sanding of the whole panel and so on as described above. Hope this helps.
I see your truck is a big block--thats cool!

Last edited by ghackett1; 05-21-2007 at 03:10 PM.
ghackett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Sidphoenix

402, with a 900CFM carb (but that will be taken off due to fuel efficiency). Thanks for the tips man, I appreciate it.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
mattsz
Account Suspended

Use 320 to get all of the scratches out before you prime. I would get a stud gun ond try to pull the dents or hammer and dolly, or bondo it smoth.
mattsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Go here to ask this question, its the paint and body work part of the board.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...splay.php?f=16
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
jerm67chevy

You don't need to 320 before you prime. It should only be finished to 180 otherwise you may have adhesion problem's. You should definitely 80 grit the panels, then epoxy. You can do your bodywork over epoxy. Depending on where the dents are you have access to alot from the backside to hammer and dolly or else you can use a dent pulling machine like an eagle. It actually has a handle that welds itself to the panel you put pressure on it and stress relieve around the dent with a body hammer. Make sure you get a two part primer. I am a proffessional body man in Idaho.
jerm67chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
Bamm
Cowboy Fan for Life!!!!!!

I usually use 80 to get it down to bare metal, then go to 220 before I prime it and end up wet sanding and blocking with 320 before I am ready for sealer/paint. I agree with the stud gun if you have a lot of dents to pull or if you are thinking about doing more body work down the line. It is well worth the time/money you will spend welding the holes back that your slide hammer produces. Good luck and remember a couple of things; #1 Take the extra time to do it right if at all possible, shortcuts will cost you later. If you get to the point that you're getting burned out on the truck, take a weekend or two off from it. #2 It will take easily 3 times longer to do than you plan for and twice as much $$$$$.........................Bamm!
18 x 8 Torque Thrust II's
Future mods: All new gauges & wood bed
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #8
Sidphoenix

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it!