The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2007, 12:25 AM   #1
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Question Newbie question: What's a '61 Burb worth?

hey fellas, i've come across a '61 Suburban for sale...i know these things can be worth quite a bit if restored nicely...i'm looking for a new project if i can sell my truck...i've always liked the '60-66 trucks, since that era is my dad's favorites, and i was raised up around them...i'm not very familiar with classics and which prices suit the various vehicles...so, i wanted to see if i can get some help/opinions...from what i know, this is a California burb that is 90% rust free...it runs and drives but could use a tune-up...i'm awaiting pics of the interior, but i'm told it has two captains seats and a rear bench...but just based on what you can see, is it worth the price? it is a project, which is what i'm looking for...but i need something reliable as i plan to drive whatever i may choose...i will give more info as i receive it, but i would greatly appreciate any help or opinions...here's a link to the Burb:

http://coyoteclassics.com/index.php?...ew&listingID=2

thanks for any help
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:56 AM   #2
Frizzle Fry

Re: Newbie question: What's a '61 Burb worth?

Looks pretty solid at first but a closer look gives me the sense that it may have had a recent spray-bomb job for a quick sale. You can see that the hood is rippled and the grille is tweaked. Some stuff is missing and the engine compartment doesn't look very well kept. How was it lowered?

That said it does appear pretty solid otherwise but I'd be a little worried about what you can't see. If you can get anyone to go look at it for you you'd be much better off. If it's as solid as it appears to be and runs well it may be worth something in that neighborhood. I'd probably start at 4k, but I tend to over estimate these things...
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:57 AM   #3
LILRED66
Account Suspended

I have seen them in a lot rougher condition for a lot more money. If you can't go see it in person and test drive, I suggest asking many questions and get as many close-up photos, as possible. I have purchased many '64-'66 Chevy trucks over the internet and the key is educating yourself, as much as possible. This is a good link to reference when prospecting a '60-'66 Chevy truck. I find it rather informative and useful.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/bu...uide_60_66.htm

Best of luck.

Tony
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

thanks guys...yeah, the biggest problem is not being close to the Burb so that i can check it out myself...i found one guy on FullsizeChevy that lives not too far away, and he said he'd try to look at it for me if I sell my truck...i'm not sure if anyone here is from that area...but hopefully i can get some more details this week

anyone else have input?
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
Frizzle Fry

If there's no hidden bondo-over-rust type BS I think it's worth the money. The little things I pointed out don't make it not worth that, they just make me wonder what else is going on there. If it's solid GET IT.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Request more up close photos from the owner, as well as your list of questions. That should help you get comfortable with the decision whether or not to do the deal.

Tony
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote