The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2007, 01:25 AM   #1
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

How much would it cost? ('66 Burb build)

My dad has a '66 Burb that is pretty solid...and the body is on a rolling chassis...it doesn't have a motor, tranny, or any of the drivetrain...it would also need an interior, brakes, & pretty much anything mechanical...we do have alot of extra body parts and things that could be used to pretty much completely put it together...but how much do you think it would cost to build an old school rod,"rat-like", out of this Burb? I would just want the basic necessities to make it run and drive legally...thanks for any input
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:08 AM   #2
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Re: How much would it cost? ('66 Burb build)

likaroc13:

Welcome from Overland Park, KS. The answers to your question are going to vary widely, because the scope is rather vague. I suggest making a comprehensive list of what needs to be done and what you want to do. With each line item, list whether you have the part or need to purchase it. If you need to purchase it, assign a cost to it. Also, assign the number of hours it will take to complete.

After the list is complete and the total costs for the parts is added up, as well as the number of man hours it will take, you will have an idea of what it will take to get your rig road-worthy. Budgets are tricky because we tend to be too conservative. Make sure you assign realistic costs or you will run out of funds before you get your burb back on the road.

I hope this information is helpful.

Tony

Last edited by LILRED66; 06-07-2007 at 03:09 AM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
...it doesn't have a motor, tranny, or any of the drivetrain...it would also need an interior, brakes, & pretty much anything mechanical...
Lilred is dead on. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you'll spend at least 5K to make it a solid runner. It could be done for less but you get what you pay for (or make yourself )

Last edited by Frizzle Fry; 06-07-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

thanks...yeah i know i was a bit vague and that cost could vary widely...just look at it as though i'm starting basically with a shell and rolling chassis...my dad has the space, knowledge and ability to build the majority of the Burb...i'm just trying to figure out what it would roughly cost to make the Burb legally drivable...but this would not be anything completely restored or custom really, just merely as simple as possible and left in an unfinished state...i'm just looking for some guesstimates on what it would cost, to see if i will be able to fund it right now or not...basically i would be looking to throw anywhere from $5-6k at the project...how far would that get me?
Old 06-07-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I would suggest buying a parts truck, like a 87-91 Suburban. You can rob the engine and trans, as well as the power steering, brakes, and a lot of other small stuff. Throw a carb on that and you will have a decent engine, overdrive, and power front discs too. That, and you can part out the rest to get some of your money back. There is pretty much no interior to worry about, either.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
I would suggest buying a parts truck, like a 87-91 Suburban. You can rob the engine and trans, as well as the power steering, brakes, and a lot of other small stuff. Throw a carb on that and you will have a decent engine, overdrive, and power front discs too. That, and you can part out the rest to get some of your money back. There is pretty much no interior to worry about, either.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I don't know about Florida, but those are all over here, and pretty cheap. Get an 89-up, sell off the front clip, doors, and interior stuff that will swap onto the earlier 73-87 stuff, and get the parts you need almost free. That's what I plan on doing, if I ever get some motivation to start......

Last edited by Jonboy; 06-07-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

you know i almost forgot, but my brother totalled his '86 K-5 just before Christmas...i can see if he'll sell me the engine...could i get anything else off of it, or would the '87-91 be better?
Old 06-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #9
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
you know i almost forgot, but my brother totalled his '86 K-5 just before Christmas...i can see if he'll sell me the engine...could i get anything else off of it, or would the '87-91 be better?
The engine would work, but a 2wd sub would get you an overdrive trans, and the corredt front suspension to get you power disc brakes (and power steerng, if you are going that far). Like I said, the 89-91 front sheetmetal is a popular upgrade to the 73-87 guys, so you could sell a lot of what you don't use to recoup some cash.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:37 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

When I put my '66 Burb together 14 years ago, I was into it just over 5k just to get it on the road and looking decent. Of course that included the rebuilt 454 also. The only things that I didn't do myself was the windshield installation, exhaust system, powder coating and seat upholstery.

I agree with finding a donor pickup, Blazer or Burb

Last edited by Captainfab; 06-09-2007 at 01:40 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:50 AM   #11
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

cool, thanks...that makes me feel pretty confident then...i'm not looking for a show queen at this moment, but maybe one day down the road...i guess my biggest expense would be the engine, but i think i can come up with something there as well...not really concerned with much interior at this point...just throw some seats in there...like i said tho, i'm just wanting an old school rod, something kinna plain and simple...as long as it runs & drives good mainly...just gotta hope i can sell my truck now