The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
Razmataz

Power steering from 67-72 4x4 on a 65 2wd ??

can you use a 4x4 p/steering box from a 67-72 on a 1965 2wd c10 ?? I read you can if you change the pitman arm , if so would you use the old one off your manual box ??? if not what pitman arm will work ??
Razmataz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Re: Power steering from 67-72 4x4 on a 65 2wd ??

You can use any GM Saginaw 605 power steering gear box from a '68-'86 donor truck, however you can not use the Pittman arm from a 4x4 or your existing Pittman arm from your maunal box, due the difference in size and geometry. You will have to use the Pittman arm from a steering box of the the 2wd donor truck. I have done the conversions on several of my '64-'66 Chevy trucks and it is best to pull the power steering pump, mounting brackets, pulleys, hoses, power steering gear box and Pittman arm for the donor truck.

You will also need the power steering conversion kit. The popular choice is the conversion by REZ Engineering, however there are several comparable conversion kits on the market. In fact, I use a conversion kit lazer cut from 1/4" stainless steel stock and utilizes Grade 8 fasteners. I have a company that manufacturer's these backing plates for me.

This is a great reference for doing the conversion:

http://rmcavoy.freeshell.org/power_steer.html

Post other questions, if necessary, and good luck with the conversion.

Tony
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
baddawg65

You would think that as many people are beginning to restore 60-65's, someone would manufacture a power steering box that fit the frames. Also power steering pump brackets fot 292!
baddawg65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
LILRED66
Account Suspended

The GM Saginaw power steering box does fit the '60-'66 Chevy trucks, however these trucks did not have true power steering from the factory, only power-assist steering, therefore the mounting holes in the frame rail do not line up and the frame rail does not have enough surface height to match the mounting surfaces of the box, thus the conversion backing plates. They also stiffen the frame rail, due to the additional holes that are drilled to accept the box.

It makes more financial sense to install a power steering box that is already being manufactured and readily availabel, and there is no financial advantage to develop and manufacture one, specific to these trucks, especially when you can retrofit your frame & box or install a power steering conversion kit that costs less than a $100.00.

When I find a factory set of power steering pump mounting brackets from a '60-'66 Chevy truck with a factory 292 in it, I am going to figure out how to fabricate some brackets to properly mount the pump for correct geometry, alignment and function, like the original brackets. Problem solved.

Tony

Last edited by LILRED66; 06-10-2007 at 07:34 PM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote