The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
rickf

heater core flow restrictor ?

I just got a Napa heater core for 64 "fresh air" heater. I was musing over the hose mount tubes, they are not quite aligned right. That's when I noticed a plastic (of some sort) plug inside the 5/8 inch tube, with about a 1/4 inch hole in it. I tried to pull it out, but couldn't get it to budge.

The core that came out doesn't have one of these, nor did the orignial core that came out some 15 or 20 years ago.

I'm having a hard time accepting that this is some sort of technological advancement, that heaters work better with the flow restricted. But then, I'm no thermal engineer.

What I think it is, is some sort of forming or assembly tooling that broke off, and an inept inspector passed it anyway.

What do you think?
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
ClassicAutoResto
Rust Buster

Re: heater core flow restrictor ?

I manage an auto parts store during the day, (Classic Auto Resto by Night; LOL. One day I'll get some sleep!) and if the core is painted or dipped with a coating, plugas are put in the keep it from contaminating the inside of the core. If it will not come out, I would take it back to NAPA for a replacement unit. Jerry
ClassicAutoResto is offline   Reply With Quote