The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2007, 09:46 PM   #1
teejay65

65 Chevy Brake Cable and Exhaust

Hi,

new to your board...introduced myself in your welcome section last week with a few pics. Got a couple of questions that hopefully someone has seen before. My son and I put a 383 and 700R4 in the 65 the other day. Trk was originally a 235 with 3-spd on the column. Removed the old trans mount and but also had to remove the e-brake cross member...what is the work around for this to get working e-brakes? Shortening cables, special e-brake cross member...any ideas? 2d question is about the new exhaust system...saw an article in June 01 CT where they had run the exhaust through holes they cut in the trailing arm and rear axle cross members..they needed the ground clearance because of a lowered chassis...looks great...but anyone done this before or know of a replacement cross members for this?

I am also attaching some more pics of our latest progress with the truck. Do appreciate the help
Attached Images

teejay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
hewlett2002000

Re: 65 Chevy Brake Cable and Exhaust

Welcome From Texas!!! looks good. my 66 is soon to get a 383/TH400 if everything goes right. sorry i cant help with the e-brake cross member but im sure somebody that knows better than me will come along and help ya out. good luck to ya.
John
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
hewlett2002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:55 PM   #3
PrerunnerRob

Nice work! As far as the crossmember goes, you don't need to worry about it until you are laying waaaaaay down, which means notching the frame and z'ing the front.
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:55 AM   #4
LILRED66
Account Suspended

teejay65:

Welcome aboard from Kansas City, KS.

With regards to the emergency brake, if you can find a factory automatic transmission crossmember from a '64-'66 Chevy C10/C20, put that in your truck. I have bought a few of them from eBay in the last year for a few period correct/factory correct restorations I am working on. The reason I suggest this is that the factory auto tranny crossmember has the pivot and mounting brackets for the factory emergency brake set-up. This is well illustrated in the 1960/1966 Chev/GMC Factory Assembly Manual. I suggest purchasing this, as well. It is very informative and readily available from many aftermarket truck parts suppliers, including:

www.lmctruck.com
www.bowtiebits.com
www.oldchevytrucks.com
www.brotherstrucks.com
www.classicparts.com

and many others.

The factory automatic transmission crossmember is a direct bolt-in between your frame rails and depending on the length of your transmission, may fit in the factory holes. The frame rails were drilled at the factory, regardless of the engine/tranny combination off the line, for a 2-speed automatic Powerglide. If you go this route, install the engine/tranny in the engine bay and slip the crossmember in and adjust accordingly. I recently did this on a '66 Chevy C20 lwb fleet Custom Camper, that the previous owner had installed a Turbo 350. The frame rail holes and the tailshaft holes aligned perfectly, to my surprise.

With regards to running the exhaust through the frame crossmember, I saw this done recently on a '64-'66 Chevy C10. Determine the routing of the exhaust you want. Mark the crossmember and cut holes to receive a 5" diameter x 2" long section of pipe in the opening, correctly aligned with the frame rails and a level floor. Weld around the diameter of both sides of the pipe where it meets the frame rail. This is done to give the crossmember structural integrity, due to the removal of material from the cross-section of the crossmember. It is a very slick way to tuck the exhaust into the area between the frame rails.

I hope this information is helpful and good luck to you and your son on the '65.

Tony

Last edited by LILRED66; 06-19-2007 at 04:58 AM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
steverino66

Check out Bowtie Overdrives. They have a high mount and a low mount. Not cheap, but looks like you've spent some bucks already.
http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...php?ITEMID=106
steverino66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
teejay65

Thanks guys...will defintely look into your recommendations. New Engine and transmission and reworked drive shaft are in now ..so maybe I can use some of the swivels and brackets off the old e-brake cross member to fabricate something on/for the new trans cross member. I did buy the complete set of manuals when I first got the truck. The auto ididit column is next on my list to do before I start populating the front of the engine. Got it when I got the engine. BTW...you're right Steve...more money that I initially thought....but its something my son and I both do together and the truck will stay in the family..so the investment is well worth it. Tony...will let you know how the exhaust works out...I am going to follow your advice on it...the picture I saw, like you, really looked slick. Thanks for the advice and your time guys

TeeJay
teejay65 is offline   Reply With Quote