The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2007, 02:27 AM   #1
raiden7800
Straight "6" Shooter

OE Accessories sheet questions

I just got lucky as heck today. I leaned my seat forward so I could access the gas tank, and I just happened to catch out of the corner of my eye, the original equipment listing paper with trim, engine, paint... etc, you know what I am talking about. Anyways, I found out that my 65 LWB has the custom cab (my trim is all missing), has the deluxe heater, has the 2 speed wipers, and heavy duty rear springs. It used to be off-white and maroon in color. I am just wondering what some of the information on this page means. I decoded some of it, and found out that it has 3.73 gears, the warner gear 3 speed trans, and the original 170hp 292. What I am trying to figure out, is it says P/S, which I am assuming is power steering, and it has the letters AJ below it. My crank pulley has a spare pulley slot on it, and I was wondering how I would be able to tell if my truck had power steering, or air conditioning. I have that big huge black thing under the hood with the fan under it, and I am just confused. The paper I have is not completely in 1 piece, and parts of it are missing obviously, so I dont have, or dont think I have the listing for A/C. I can see a few numbers that dont have a listing on top of them because it is missing. If anyone has a template of one of these sheets, I could fill it in and find out some more info, if not... can someone help me?

If you listen intently, you can hear a FORD rusting in the distance.

My LUG NUTS take more TORQUE than your HONDA makes!
raiden7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Re: OE Accessories sheet questions

raiden7800:

Congrats on the find. What you found is called the build sheet. It was placed on the back of the glove box door, as well as between the seat springs and the padding behind the drivers seat back. Over the years the paper becomes brittle and falls apart, never to be seen.

With regards to the P/S, an option on the '60-'66 Chevy trucks was Power-Assist Steering. If your truck had it, you should have some evidence of it, for example a power steering pump or brackets mounted to the drivers side of the engine below the alternator, as well as a power steering cylinder with high side and low side hoses coming out of it. This cylinder is inline with the steering linkage. With this set-up, the steering gear box will be a manual gear box. The power-assist comes from fluid circulating through the pump and the cylinder.

There are many good reference manuals available for the '60-'66 Chevy trucks, including 1960-1966 Chevy/GMC Factory Assembly Manual and the 1960 through 1966 Chevy Truck Shop Manuals and Supplements. There are available at many of the aftermarket truck parts supplieres, including:

www.bowtiebits.com
www.lmctruck.com
www.classicparts.com
www.brotherstrucks.com
www.oldchevytrucks.com

to name a few.

Good luck with your project and I hope this information is helpful.

Tony

The big black box you see under the hood is standard equipment for trucks that came from the factory with heat/defrost. On the '64-'66 Chevy trucks, there were three options: no heat, Thrift Air heat/defrost or Deluxe Air heat/defrost. If the truck had no heat/defrost, there will be heater delete plates on the engine bay side of the firewall. If your truck has the Thrift Air heat/defrost, there will be a single pull knob between the dash cluster and the ash tray. If your truck has the Deluxe Air heat/defrost, there will be three levers in the dash.

Trucks with factory A/C will have the opening for the ash tray oversized for the air diffusers and a very large underdash air plenum. Attached is a photo of a factory A/C set-up in a '66 Chevy C10 swb fleet with a big back window.
Attached Images

Last edited by LILRED66; 06-24-2007 at 07:12 AM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
raiden7800
Straight "6" Shooter

Thanks for all of the info! I just figured that since my crank pulley had an extra slot on there, and the slot does have wear marks in it, that there was obviously something attatched to it at some point, and if it was power assist steering, I would like to put it back on (that sucker is hard to turn at a standstill!).

If you listen intently, you can hear a FORD rusting in the distance.

My LUG NUTS take more TORQUE than your HONDA makes!
raiden7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
LILRED66
Account Suspended

The power assist steering is a nice factory option, if operating correctly. If not, I have done the power steering conversion on several of my '64-'66 Chevy trucks, as well as a few others. Power steering makes a dramatic difference in ease of operation of these trucks, not to mention a very desireable factory option, if it is power assist steering.

Tony
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote