The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2007, 02:39 AM   #1
70ChevyCST

Please help!! front right brake (drum) dragging

1970 Chevy CST-10 1/2 ton 350, automatic, 6 lug-4 way drums... I've replaced the master cylinder, both front wheel cylinders and both front brake hoses. I've adjusted the brakes any and every way I can. I cannot get my right front brake to stop dragging. It's blazing hot every time I take it out for an extended drive. I think it's dragging to the point where it's actually readjusting itself tighter..Is that possible? The brake pedal rises as it heats up and after it's hot the truck pulls to the right when brakes are applied. I know what I'm going to hear from you all...do the front disc conversion!...but that will take me down for the summer. I plan on doing the conversion but I'd like to wait until winter.....I want to get this fixed now so I can enjoy my truck for the rest of this summer and fall. Any ideas appreciated...Thanks, Bob
I'm a grateful Christian not perfect in any way, but always striving to become better with Christ's help. I'm grateful for what He did for me on that cross at Calvary. I hope there is a desire in your heart for the same: If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
70ChevyCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:30 AM   #2
jkeady

Re: Please help!! front right brake (drum) dragging

Stupid question, but you didn't specify: did you replace the springs in the brake mechanism on that side?

'70 Custom Camper / 20
jkeady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:13 AM   #3
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

The secret to good straight braking with front drum is getting the adjuster mechanism working, and having your wheel bearings properly adjusted. That later part accounted for most of my pull problems, and if getting them adjusted right means replacing a bearing, then do it.

As for the brakes dragging, check that you got the shoes on correctly, shoe with short lining on front, long lining on rear, adjuster mechanism on rear shoe, and the springs installed right. Pull on the shoes and see that they return to their rest position on the stud above the wheel cylinder. I think a spring kit at NAPA is only $10, and it does both sides, is good peace of mind. Also check that the push rods coming out of the wheel cylinder are seated on the shoes properly (also check you didn't get a defective cylinder that binds). Check the backing plates where the shoes rub, and make sure there are no gouges or grooves that the shoes could be hanging up in.
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
70ChevyCST

I just bought the truck and I'm finding out little by little that the guy that worked on it previously was quite a HACK....The front brake springs have not been replaced recently (they look old) and that was my next course of action because that's all there's left to do up there. I guess I didn't think the springs were worn out because I had them off to replace the wheel cylinders. They seemed like they were still doing their job because they were giving me some trouble getting them back in place. I'll check the wheel bearings too...didn't even give them a thought...I'll definitely check the long shoe/short shoe orientation...Thanks for all the tips...I sure do appreciate it.

Bob
I'm a grateful Christian not perfect in any way, but always striving to become better with Christ's help. I'm grateful for what He did for me on that cross at Calvary. I hope there is a desire in your heart for the same: If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
70ChevyCST is offline   Reply With Quote