The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
streetstar

Orange-white 2 tone

Orange and white 2 tone is one of my favorite color schemes for these old trucks. My question is, does this color code increase the value of these trucks any as a restoration? (this truck is bone stock, save for the hood, and the rally wheels are in storage as well) They made a ton of these in this color from '69 - '72 but i have seen far fewer '73 - '80's. Of course i know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder -- so i didnt know if it really mattered or not

streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
6977chev

Re: Orange-white 2 tone

Nice truck! im going to paint my 77 that same color scheme you have and it is my favorite as well. what is that color orange i like it. as far as your question i wouldnt think that paint scheme would make it worth more but i agree buety is in the eye of the beholder
6977chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:32 AM   #3
streetstar

as far as i know, its just hugger orange and white -- however, i am trying to find the specific paint codes as we speak.

I have to re-spray the hood after i replace the hideous cowl induction one (note: i'm not opposed to custom stuff , and like the all steel cowl hoods, but this was a glassed in scoop and looks bad up close)

However, my personal tastes run toward the "factory look" with maybe something big and sneaky under the hood
Old 07-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
68Stepbed

I don't know that the color itself increases value as much as the quality of the paint job. I think the stock hood will look better. I've never been a big fan of fibreglass modifications.

I like the orange and white combo.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
Blackstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
as far as i know, its just hugger orange and white -- however, i am trying to find the specific paint codes as we speak.

I have to re-spray the hood after i replace the hideous cowl induction one (note: i'm not opposed to custom stuff , and like the all steel cowl hoods, but this was a glassed in scoop and looks bad up close)

However, my personal tastes run toward the "factory look" with maybe something big and sneaky under the hood
1973 paint chips:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.asp...truck-pg01.jpg
Blackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
abebummy26

A kid I know just totaled one out almost exactly like that and it wasnt even his truck he moved the front bumper in 12 inches it was a 76 scotsdale it wasnt quite that clean though i rode in it a few times
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #7
streetstar

thats a bummer -- and the dangers of driving an old truck vs. a new one. A new truck, you total it and you just get hit with a 500 or 1000 deductible and go truck shopping again.

Total an old one and it can be gone forever
Old 07-13-2007, 10:40 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Right now the value of 73-87 are still very low compared to the 67-72's. If you look at the market on 67-72 the trucks that are bring big money are not restored trucks. They are trucks that "appear" to be stock, but have been upgraded with newer motors, overdrive transmissions, big brakes, suspension mods, etc.

I saw build it like you want as long as you don't hack the body up. Regardless of the year it was built, long bed trucks bring less money that shorties...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
abebummy26

Well he would have been screwed if he was in a new truck to because he bent the frame.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Hey that's almost the same color as mine.

I do know that the RPO sheet on my truck lists my color as "Cardinal Red". I'll look later to see if it shows a paint code. I would think that the only way that color would raise the value is if that's the same color that's listed on the RPO sheet, and the vehicle was fully restored.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #11
KMK454

Orange and white is pretty damn cool, but I don't know if it would add more value. Usually traditional colors or popular nostalgia colors (ie surf colors on 50's cars) will be the sought after ones. And not many people are looking for a truck, let alone a long wheelbase. But still, your truck looks nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Right now the value of 73-87 are still very low compared to the 67-72's. If you look at the market on 67-72 the trucks that are bring big money are not restored trucks. They are trucks that "appear" to be stock, but have been upgraded with newer motors, overdrive transmissions, big brakes, suspension mods, etc.

I saw build it like you want as long as you don't hack the body up. Regardless of the year it was built, long bed trucks bring less money that shorties...
I agree, not too many stock-nuts like myself out there... unless you go to an antique show or two.

And those custom trucks do bring the big bucks, but sometimes I wonder what the net investment versus total return on sale is.

But really the question is this - who buys a vehicle as a financial investment? Buy it for fun, utility, need, etc., and if you play it right it may work out well financially too!
1991 Camaro B4C
KMK454 is offline   Reply With Quote