The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
67spanky

Adjusting valves on an inline 250

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction on adjusting my valves in a rebuilt 1968 inline 250? I would appreciate it as this is the only thing holding me up right now on the restoration. I can't seem to find anything decent on the web. Thanks
67spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Adjusting valves on an inline 250

Do a search on hydraulic valve adjustment or similar. The procedure is the same for v8 or 6 cyinder hydraulic lifters.

Are you looking to adjust them from scratch. In other words you just reassembled the engine and need to preadjust the lifters? If so, then you have to follow a specific procedure to preadjust the lifters.

Someone else may have the info in front of them. I found this procedure in the rebuild manual which I don't have at the moment. Basically, you are trying to adjust the lifters so that you can run the engine. It will not be smooth, but you can at least get it to that point.

The next procedure is to adjust the lifters individually. I do it with the engine running. Loosen or tighten until you barely hear the lifter clicking and keep tightening until you don't hear it anymore. Then tighten about 1/2 turn more. Wait until the engine smoothes out and do this with all of them.

Last edited by 68gmsee; 08-12-2007 at 11:03 PM. Reason: add wording
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:56 PM   #3
69_hafton
Sleep-Deprived

It would be pretty hard to explain what all is involved, and I can't remember off the top of my head. You'd be better off to buy a Chilton's or Hayne's manual for other future technically involved repair reference.
69_hafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
67spanky

Well I figured I'd throw this out, maybe it will help someone. I adjusted everything cold before starting the engine (fresh rebuild) just as the old chiltons manual said to. Then I took an old distributor apart, put it in the hole and attached a drill to prime the engine and check the oil pressure before I started it. After the truck was warmed up I followed the old chiltons again and it said that after all freeplay was eliminated in the pushrods, go another full turn. Well I did that and lost compression on 3 cyls. Long story short I only went 1/4 to 1/2 turn on each rocker bolt and after timing it runs really smooth under load and will idle til it runs out of gas. Checked with an old chevy guy and he said he's had to back off on a set or 2 before and put 40,000 on the truck without a hitch. You never know.
67spanky is offline   Reply With Quote