The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
Mark Smith

Engine Swap - 1971 4WD - Small block to Big block

Does anyone make a cross member and engine stand kit that makes changing a small block to a big block easy? I've been told DIY 4 X 4 makes one but when I called they told me the kit was designed for a small block. There were no big blocks put in the 1971 4WD trucks so whatever I come up with will have to be aftermarket I guess. Please help me find someone that has done this or knows where I can get a kit or parts that will work. I was also told by DIY 4 X 4 the small block kit has been used for a big block application but the fit is very tight. Since I am installing a 502CID big block with a blower I am concerned about using an aftermarket deeper oil pan. If anyone can help me with cross member placement for firewall clearance and technical information I would greatly appreciate it. If you prefer to contact me via email, it is mksmith@trinitypetroleum.com My cell phone is 414-378-9234

Last edited by Mark Smith; 08-16-2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Forgot additional information
Mark Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Re: Engine Swap - 1971 4WD - Small block to Big block

Throw this over in the 4x4 section and you will get more response. Burt4x4 is using an aftermarket crossmember and with a body lift he only had to do a little firewall modification to fit his bbc. I used my stock crossmember and had major firewall interference even with a body lift. There are a few members who had to make no modifications to fit a bbc. Odd, but it does vary on what type of problems people have.

You can see more info on my bbc swap in my website listed in my sig.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Mark Smith

Re: Engine Swap - 1971 4WD - Small block to Big block

Thanks for the suggestion on putting this in the four wheel driver area. Seems odd some people would have a firewall clearance problem and other people wouldn't.
Mark Smith is offline   Reply With Quote