The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2002, 02:17 PM   #26
Scottri

Oh man does this thread strike a nerve! I can't calculate the amount of time I've wasted dealing with some moron at a parts counter of an Auto Drone, Pep Boys, Schucks and the like. I now only go to NAPA unless I need wax or oil. There are 2 NAPAs near me. One plain sucks, everything is more expensive and the counter pinheads are useless. The other is great. One of the counter guys has one of our trucks and knows them well. They always have what I need or can get it in a couple of hours.

At the local Auto Zone I had an argument with a guy. I was looking for a part for my 69 GMC. He couldn't find it in the computer so I told him to look up a 69 Chevy instead. He argued that the part wouldn't fit. I told him to just get the part and the fit would be my problem. He could not understand that the trucks were almost identical.

Another time I went to buy a carb for the GMC, I walk in to the parts counter with the Carb in my hand. A young girl walks up and asked if she could help me. I said no, I'd wait for the parts guy. She insisted she could help so I asked her for carb that would fit a 69 GMC Square bore intake manifold. She asked to to repeat it, I did, I then handed her the old carb. She looked at me and asked "What is that?". Another 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back!

Scott
Scottri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 03:30 PM   #27
Mustard Mobile
Former Evolutionist

I have worked at the local Napa for the last six years and I have close to ten years experience in this business. I have seen the constant downhill in quality of parts and personel. I get guys applying that cant even fill out a application legibly let alone right. The big chains are driving down the prices with cheap chinease parts. Thus you have to sell twice as much and leaves less for wages for "good" partsmen. The politics is getting worse in the corps. and their policys are bankrupting many of the parts houses (privately owned). Most of the people I work with oldtimers and younger are getting ready to bail. I was just approached by one of the best shops in town to become a service advisor and I am going to take it. Now I guess I will be on the otherside of the counter. But atleast I can tell the 18 year old kid to hand me the book.

Future Project- 1948 fleetline electric conversion
Mustard Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 03:52 PM   #28
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

My first real job was at the local auto parts store. I had some knowledge but not alot. This was the pre computer days, when we actually looked up parts in parts books. Whenever the store was quiet i took the time to learn. I worked with a great bunch of guys and learned alot. Before I left I had worked my way up to a mgmnt position. ( and we were getting paid $3.10 an hour when I started ) It seems alot of the problem is the lack of work ethic in alot of people now. You may not be knowledgable in an area of work, but with hard work and training you can learn. It is amazing to me how many kids cant even count back change in a store. No less answer a question or find a part.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 04:34 PM   #29
GloryHound
Working on a Nova.

The chain stores are like a fast food drive through. You want a big Mac they give you a Big Mac! But don't ask them what all is in and on it they really do not know! Do you know why I think this approach is? People do not take pride in what they do anymore! They only take pride in what they can buy with their pay check.

As for the male/Female parts "person", I do have to say most of the time I get more help from a young female than a young male. The reason I think this is so supports my first point. If you are a female working in an auto parts store it means you are more than likely actually interested in cars so thus you take pride in what you are doing. (Not to mention the fact that you are going to have to be twice as good as any male to get a promotion based on work marrit.) And as for the young guys it is assumed a guy knows a little about cars even if he has never turned a wrench or can't stand the idea of a little grease on his hands. But lets all face it society has gone in this direction more and more. Kids no longer hang out after school in the auto shop to work on their cars for fun, now they race home to go play a computer game against "friends that live on the other side of the world.

cough!!!! I'll step off of my stool for now!
GloryHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 04:55 PM   #30
Crank

Yea, Ummm. I resent the fact that you guys being so knowledgeable and cool headed would stereotype people just by their piercings and tat's. I for instance have my tongue pierced. I intend to get a lot of tattoo's, mainly things that mean stuff to me... Does that make me a bad person or a dumb@ss? I know where I live if I go in to say Advance Auto, like AutoZone had a head gasket I needed for $18 they had it for $34. They price matched it and everything so before I moved I always went there. But me, I actually would work on anyones vehicle that needed any help, that is if I could help them. I don't wanna screw anything up! So next time just go in to the parts store and act just like them.
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 05:25 PM   #31
busterwivell

I'd love to shop at a mom n pop, but they've folded or sold out to the chains. I went to Otter Zone recently to get a power sterring return hose (as in non-pressure!) for my 86 Monte SS. After waiting in line for 20 minutes, I get the dumbest one. I go thru all the questions, what engine, with or without AC, yadda, yadda, and she replies "I'm sorry, that's not available" I turned the screen around, showed her it said they had 16 feet of it, and she insisted it wasn't available. After I asked her what they were saviing their 16 ft of it for, she called the assistant manager over, who told me the same thing. I decided to use some diplomacy. I told her that if she would go cut off 4 feet of the hose for me, she'd still have 12 feet left. IT WORKED! She went and got it for me! I'll never shop there again when Brian, the Manager is off, or at lunch. I could have ripped their faces off!!!!!!
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 09:10 PM   #32
RainDog

It's not just auto parts stores, it's every type of business in this country. Grocery stores, video stores, restaurants, etc. Unfortunately, it's the same free market that allowed the mom and pops to exist in the first place that is allowing the big boys to take over. They have the capital to buy parts and merchandise in bulk and cheap, and sell it cheaper than the little guy next door. Knowledge and experience and service take a back seat to the almighty dollar.
The best place I've found around here is the local NAPA. There's two ladies that work there that know more between them than every mechanic I've ever met put together. Even if they don't have exactly what I need in stock, the distribution center/warehouse is only fifteen minutes away, so getting parts is a snap. I frequent Schuck's, as well, but only because I've become friends with their ASE brakeman. When I was trying to wire in a second battery and fuse block in my 72, he took the time to draw out diagrams for me with the parts I'd need, how to install, etc. Even called NAPA and had them hold some parts for me that Schuck's didn't stock.

RainDog
Old 12-20-2002, 12:32 AM   #33
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

I worked for 3 parts stores out of high school, Motor Car, Sneaky Petes Speed Shop and NAPA. The first two are long gone but our NAPA is stilled owned by the same family. They have 2 or 3 20yr. guys still there. I get all my hard parts there. But oil and filters and junk stuff I got Advance Auto. If I'm buyin' speed stuff I'll order from Jeg's or Summit. Gee I hadn't sold parts for over 20 yrs. and I still miss it.
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:45 AM   #34
jostrans68
Jostrans68

I have 20 yrs in the parts business I have worked the chains and at onetime they were not bad .... But now another story. Heres a example I use PArtsamericam.com which is Schucks Checker KrageN(FORMER EMPLOYER 10 yrs) they have some wquality parts still fel pro gates etc..But I dont trust the punks younger than some of my socks to look things up. I needed a hose for my 85 Voyager looked it up and went in withthe number. gave to the snot nosed infant at the counter. He proceeds to ask what it fits .? I told him not to worry just give me that part number. He insists on application. I told him that I was selling parts when he was a glint in daddys eye. He continued requiring application so I left. I guess in my day it would have been nice to have a customer actually have a clue but not this clown...... So now I still use it I just order it online for store pickup then I dint have to deal with it. The reason I left is that they started hiring **** labor and split the guys that had knowlege up. I got tired of being the only one in the store that had a clue. Sorry about the rant. I know run a hunting and Fishing Dept. Much more relaxing....My .02 Jack
Old 12-20-2002, 01:51 PM   #35
Long Knight
Spank 'em if you got 'em!

I always pull the part and take it in with me because parts stores suck my a$$! I get pissed just thinking about it! Bottom line, stupid people piss me off!

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick
Long Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 02:21 PM   #36
Spoof

I can only imagine what it must be like from their side of the counter. I bet they have some stories that would make you shake your head.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:48 PM   #37
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I am lucky enough to have an Advance Auto parts store close to my house.It's a franchised store, but has a lead counterman who has sold parts for them for 40 years.I can ask for anything old school and he knows the ## but he does have to look up new crap.Luckily I go there often enough that he gives me jobber rates.
BTW I can go another 6-8 blocks and pass Manny,Moe and Jack,AutoZoned,Checked Chucks Crakin, and an Advanced Auto corporate store.I have been in the Zoned and talked to one of the stoners behind the counter but he claimed he couldn't look up points for anything prior to 72.I haven't been back.
Sure wish Russel's Advanced Auto was open 24/7 but I would just have to break in new counter help for them.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 10:38 PM   #38
nu2-72

One last thing. While I think I am safe in saying that the majority of auto tinkerers are men, there are a growing number of women whp know their way around under a hood these days. My wife wrenches right along with me.
I sold auto parts after high school for a few years locally. Worked with a guy that drank all night and sold parts all day. He knew more #'s in his head than all the rest of us. He is gone now but taught me alot back then. How to use those books.
I was back at that store not too long ago. A woman came in with a list of parts. The goober behind the counter asked her what she wanted. She told him her husband wanted R45 Delco plugs. He told her they did not carry Delco, only AC's. Had her dialing the phone to ask her hubby if those would be alright. I told her to take them. Then I told him he was an A$$. He thought it was funny.
I don't.
Will Rogers said, "We are all ignorant, only on different subjects."
I agree. I will help anyone that asks.
2006 Duramax Crew cab 4x4
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
2011 Harley Street Glide
nu2-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 10:44 PM   #39
LS1 K-5 Blazer

I feel your pain, my favorite parts counter person at my local Schucks and Napa are both women, The Girl at Shucks is amazing. She knows more about my Blazer than I do. LOL. I try not to buy from Schucks unless she is there because she is good! and kinda cute too.
Anyway If I said I need lugs nut for a 2001 Z-28 would you ask me if Nissian made that? And then when I say you are kidding right? Would say hey they pay me to sell parts not know cars.
Crap. Unfortunately that was at Napa.
LS1 K-5 Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 02:31 AM   #40
mikep
Used to have a truck

Its easy to complain about the folks on the other side of the counter but its like anything else. You get what you pay for. Who's going to take a job that pays $8 an hour ( less in some areas ) , has little or no chance of advancement and little or no sense of job satisfaction. If they have any talent in the automotive world theyre going to be out looking for a real job on their days off. It's retail . The people in the local Schmucks are fresh out of their last job at Mcdonalds. I dont know how the old time guys do it in the local "decent" parts shops. They can't get paid enough to make a good living. Even the oldtimers amaze me with their lack of basic automotive knowledge sometimes . I had a full blown argument once with a old time parts guy who swore there was no way in hell I had a Dana 60 that came from a 69 charger under a 69 camaro . I asked him for the gasket and he wouldnt sell it to me. Finally I told him to give me the rear end gasket for a 70 dodge 3/4 ton and he completely flipped. " It'll Never fit that car " Blah Blah Blah
Old 12-23-2002, 05:21 PM   #41
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

My, my, my....ain't this an interestin' topic! I guess that what I am reading says that we (as consumers) actually believe that the people we talk to at the businesses that MAY have what we need, may even have the knowledge to know what we are talking about. Folks, it ain't just parts houses, fast food joints, and the like. We are driven by time. Our commute takes time. Work takes time. Dealing with people who take up our time, especially when we believe they should be knowledgeable, causes us some degree of mental anguish. So, what is the answer? It doesn't matter if the help is male or female, as long as they actually fit the definition of "help", as we have come to know it. Many times, they are just employees, trying to make a living and may (or may not) be trying to support their families, just like we did (and do).

I would love to work with auto parts, again. However, I am 55, and even though employers will say that there is not supposed to be any discrimination based on age, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that a work history that goes back to '62 means I ain't no kid! Do I want to work nights? No. Do I want to work weekends? No. How much do I expect to make per hour? I expect to make $10/hour. They don't want to pay it. So, did I talk myself out of a job? I don't know. I do know that I can use any parts books that I can find. I am computer literate, so that isn't an issue. I am, and always have been, interested in any thing automotive....like I said in my first comment on this thread (page 1).

I guess as far as this topic is concerned, it's like someone else said....it's a matter of pride. Personal pride. We are all motivated by something....well, maybe everyone except my lazy nephew....but, that's another story. For some, money is what drives them. For others, the satisfaction of finishing their truck/car/whatever. It just seems that as we get older, and as we are controlled more and more by "time", that we really need to re-examine our lives and see just what it is that matters, and try to make sure that whatever it is, that it doesn't control US! And, I can bet that I will be just as upset as you will, the next time I encounter a blithering idiot who is being paid to "wait on me" at whatever business they are working at.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 02:06 PM   #42
cheatham
I need a brake!

I just wanted to say a couple of good words about a parts man nearby. Recently I replaced my alt. and since then it had been squealing and whining. I took it up to Advance Auto Parts where I had got the reman alt and told Nick that it must be defective because after swapping belts it was still noisy and my amp gauge was running all the way to Charge at high rpm.

Instead of just swapping the part he said what about the regulator. I had completely overlooked replacing it and after he tested it (IT WAS ONLY PUTTING OUT 18.5v!!!!) I replaced it and everything is now perfectly as it should be.

WAY TO GO NICK... Sometimes the most simple solutions are the ones we (I anyway) overlook.

He is ASE certified and about to open up his own shop... I'll be sad to see him go cause it's hard to find good help at parts houses these days (just had to put in one jab)

Jack
cheatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 08:44 PM   #43
jay6891
Car Knocker

Ran into the same problem this weekend. Needed a driveshaft seal for my daughters Mustang. Everything closes a Noon on saturday in the big city of Pine Bluff. Called autozone and advanced, not avaliable. Called O rilys, they said thaey had it but it listed 2 different seals could I take mine out to compare. I asked him if he was sure he had it because it was a 20 mile drive one way and my teenage girl was not gonna like her car being down. He went to the back and had both seals in his hand. Cool. Got there and after stand ing line for 30 min. because the guy in front of me had bought a 2 barrel carb for his 72 chevy pickup and it didn't fit. Parts guy was asking if the 305 in it was what was really in there. Anyways get up to the counter and told the dude who I was and he pulles this seal out. Wrong. He looks it back up, right part #, wrong part. I look at the screen and it say A/T, and I tell him it is a 5 speed. He tells me that they don't list that. CCCCRRRRAAAPPP. After a severe cussing and mumbling to myself about Having to drive to Little Rock, I leave. On the way home my favorite parts store owner was doing odds and ends at his shop and I stop and ask for help. Handed her my part, she brings out a rag and wipes the grease off, reads the part # on seal, walks into the back, comes out with my new part. I could have hugged her neck. Mom and Pops, I love you.
68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 08:43 AM   #44
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

I was almost born in and was raised in wrecking yards for the first 12 years of my life.... My parents owned 2 yards and my Uncle had the tire shop.... My MOTHER was one of the BEST and most knowledeable parts WOMEN in the countryside in her younger days.....

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote