The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Idea for new bed wood

Okay, so I got this idea about how to redo my wood bed. Since I am planning to use it to haul stuff, including engines, axles, things that typically are dirty and greasy, I really didn't want to us wood.

My idea is to use Trex "wood". This is a plastic composite wood typically for doing house decks. I did a little research and found they offer a style that is the equivalent of a 1"x8" which can be cut, routered and drilled just like real wood. My thinking is that is will be much more resistant to oils and grease then real wood and require much less mantenence in the future.

Does anyone know what the plank size is used in a fleetside bed? My bed is rotted away so I can't tell.

Am I off my rocker with this idea?

Thanks!
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
62 short step

Re: Idea for new bed wood

It is 3/4" thick. I thought about getting some 3/4" box tubing making a frame where the wood goes and covering it with 1/8 steel diamond plate. That way it could take abuse!

Last edited by 62 short step; 10-19-2007 at 03:34 PM.
62 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
rickf

I thought about that plastic stuff too. I found it is pretty heavy, compared to the wood, but maybe not eough to really matter. It will be slippery, though, it is kind of waxy (waxxy? waxxie?), like a milk bottle.

As for oil, grease, and wood, wood has no problem with petroleum. Check out some old woodenboats, you'll find the wood in the engine compartment is the best wood in the boat. Oil will soak in and act as a preservative. It could make it slippery though, and maybe that is what you were getting at.

I like that diamond plate idea.

I've also considered cutting the ribbed bed bottom out of a newer truck and attaching that somehow.

If I were doing it it would be CVG Fir. Fir is high on the list of rot resistent domestic woods. Oak is a looser. It is harder than fir, pretty maybe, but it rots way quicker.

But back to the plastic, I think it is an interesting viable option and I'd love to hear a report on the finished project.
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

My biggest thing with doing wood is maintenence with long term outside exposure. Having had wood bed trucks in the past, if you don't keep them sealed, they will eventually rot, split and become a PITA to deal with. Other thing I am thinking is a benefit with composite over real, if I do gouge it dragging a rear end or whatever off it, there is really nothing I need to do to keep it from becoming more damaged. Wood would need to be resealed.

I think I am going to see if I can find some and do some comparisions to wood.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:50 AM   #5
Iron-Butt
454 club

I have diamond plate in mine. it works great.
1963 Chevrolet C-10 6 Cyl automatic with dual exhaust, pb, ps and 17's.
R.I.P "I will miss you.
1967 Chevrolet C-10 6 Cyl Custom lwb
1939 Chevrolet Coupe, 350 v8 automatic.
1935 Chevrolet 2 Dr Standard in the works.
2015 Harley Davidson Street Glide.
2023 Chevrolet Stingray Z51 Convertible.

I never want to grow up.
Iron-Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
littlee_domn8r
AKA "Hurricane Hank"

I'm pretty sure I've heard of this being done before. And almost positive it was someone on this board. I looked into it myself. If you have a longbox, I think the boards have to be just over 8 feet long(like 8'1"), so you'd have to buy 10 foot boards. I don't remember the width. If you go to 6066gmc.org, I think they have a diagram somewhere for the different beds. I haven't done anything with mine yet, but I'm now leaning back towards wood again.

"They say hard work never killed anyone, But why take a chance?

63 GMC C10 Custom LWB 355/350 AT
00 Chevy Silverado 1500 base V6/AT
07 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 5.3 V8
littlee_domn8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:24 AM   #7
SkylineNXS

http://www.gmcpauls.com/47-72_BedWood_Info.htm check this out, what ur thinkin should work...i just threw in plywood for my temp. wood....

BRAD

1966 C10 SWB Fleet, 250 I6, three on the tree....

Previously Owned....
1987 Chevy R10 "Silverado" (at least the badges were) Short Step 350 700r4....

1972 Chevy LWB Fleet 350/350

EXTENDED CAB ALL THE WAY!

.._..~...-...._...____
.._..-...______|_|__\____
..-..~.|_(O)__|_|__|_(O)]
SkylineNXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:17 AM   #8
LILRED66
Account Suspended

There are a few things to consider when using manufactured wood products. One is the structural integrity between the factory cross sills. When introducing a concentrated load, like and engine or transmission, the space between the factory cross sills is a wider span than recommended by the manufacturer. This spacing coupled with a concentrated load and heat from direct sunlight, will cause the material to sag between the factory cross sills.

The other thing to consider is the width of the material. The factory width of the boards in the bed are different. Additionally, the factory boards have a custom profile in them. The same profile can be machined in the manufactured lumber, however, this will make it very week at the edges, since the structural integrity is a function of the thickness of this material at the edge.

In any case, give it a try and see if it satifies your requirements. If so, great.

Tony Smith
4-5-6 Chevy Trucks
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
71swb4x4

Here's a thread on using composite for the bed: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...t=78098&page=2
Old 10-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #10
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Here's a thread on using composite for the bed: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...t=78098&page=2
Thanks for the link. That answered a lot of questions.