The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
speedypalomino

how tall???

ok,, while coming out of the grocery store this evening,, (its amazing the looks you will get buying toilet paper and eggs on halloween,,, even in your 40's!!) there sat my old Blazer, in all its glory of a 4 inch lift and 35's, completely dwarfed by some kids mid 80's blazer with who knows how much lift and 40's.... :O\ .
so..... how much is concidered TOO much??? (am I realy turnin into my father???) :O).....

just a thought.....

Bear
Old 11-02-2007, 11:27 PM   #2
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Re: how tall???

Its only to much when the cops pull you over i say.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:28 PM   #3
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

As long as you can still park your DD under her, i figure its a good height

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
1969k10stepside

A lift is never too much unless the truck (or blazer) is a poser and doesn't need a big lift. Now,a small lift (6" or so max) doesn't count as that is understandable.(Because the 67-72s just look right with some lift and a little wider and taller of a tire than stock).8" lift or more on a road truck isn't understandable. If you need a 12" lift to clear 54s,and you have the drivetrain to withstand it, and you actually use it for a offroad truck and need that much lift..That's not a case of being too much.Now,if it's got a 10" lift,42s,is running on stock axles,the stock drivetrain,probably even running stock gears,well then that's a case of being too much,In my opinion..

Last edited by 1969k10stepside; 11-02-2007 at 11:35 PM.
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:25 AM   #5
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

If the lift is too tall to be effective or to wheel, it's too much. There are/have been guys on this board with 12" of lift and 44's that wheel them hard.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:40 AM   #6
68K20 x Drill

If you are completely stuck, and it is still more than 1' from your rocker to the surface of the mud/water, you have too much lift.
If you are not stuck, but the goo is coming in under the door, you may not have enough.

84 Chevrolet Suburban K20 6.2 Banks turbo TH400/NP208 Now with G80

68 GMC C20 Parts? Truck

And a few cars
68K20 x Drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:38 AM   #7
DURRTY
USMC

UMMM if its "too much" your too OLD HAHAHHA come on now 40s 44s 54s look really cool if nothing else and if you want to drop the truck in mud what else would you want?

but if its just big ass tires with 1/2 ton gear thats kinda weak

the kid will learn sooner or later when something breaks or when he has to replace steering components every month.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:56 AM   #8
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedypalomino View Post
ok,, while coming out of the grocery store this evening,, (its amazing the looks you will get buying toilet paper and eggs on halloween,,, even in your 40's!!) there sat my old Blazer, in all its glory of a 4 inch lift and 35's, completely dwarfed by some kids mid 80's blazer with who knows how much lift and 40's.... :O\ .
so..... how much is concidered TOO much??? (am I realy turnin into my father???) :O).....

just a thought.....

Bear

It's a belief in 'function' or 'want' IMO.

Poser lift's are whatever they think they want to run huge tires on the pavement but have about zero function in reality.
In most cases these trucks drive/ride like crap as well.

Wheeling lift's offer the option of running taller tires to obtain ground clearance but even there can easily become to high to function safely.

Driver/Weekend warrior lift's fall somewhere in between looks/function.

Even your 4" lift w/35's wouldn't be and effective wheeler but that may not be your focus, so all is well.

Bet it looks sweet though.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
speedypalomino

I will havta check that one out a little closer next time I see it,, it was dark, and I was in a bit of a hurry....
mine on the other hand isn't really set up for "off-road" its more for "around-farm",,, it tows the old manure spreader, hauls the hay wagons, and gets me down to check to see if the river is goin over the bank,, so I guess its a form fits function issue....
of course,, I would much rather see an extremely lifted truck, over one of those little rice burners anyday!!!
"Hey kid,, does your Mom know what ya did to her car!!!" LOL!!!

Bear :O)
Old 11-03-2007, 11:33 PM   #10
bigbadchev72
People know me

too tall is like too much money This one is pretty big though, I would think when you need to build a staircase to get in, It is getting close to being too big, This one however is all business
Attached Images

1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:16 AM   #11
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Love the partially built staircase. It looks serious with the diff...

What's the plan?
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:11 AM   #12
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Too high = Unstable (I beleive that's happened already this year)
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:03 AM   #13
DURRTY
USMC

Cmon now VT if all you want to do is blast through the local mud holes 35s are good to go, for all out gummy snotty mud or real rock crawling no way.

but don't say that "wouldn't be and effective wheeler"

everything has its place

Jeff
Old 11-04-2007, 05:34 AM   #14
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURRTY View Post
Cmon now VT if all you want to do is blast through the local mud holes 35s are good to go, for all out gummy snotty mud or real rock crawling no way.

but don't say that "wouldn't be and effective wheeler"

Nope, don't agree.
An effective wheeler doesn't fall into the category of "single event" uses.
An effective wheeler needs to be able to meet the demands of the trail,
whether it be mud/rocks/sand or frame twister's. [edit] as the outing offers up.

A 1st gen w/35's and a 4" lift isn't gonna cut it out wheeling around. [edit] on anything above blue trails.

The blazer shown above goes to the other extreme.
It's cool and well built but it won't be an effective wheeler either.

So yeah, I can say "won't be an effective wheeler".

Last edited by vtblazer; 11-05-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:10 AM   #15
72cheyennesuper20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadchev72 View Post
too tall is like too much money This one is pretty big though, I would think when you need to build a staircase to get in, It is getting close to being too big, This one however is all business
72cheyennesuper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:12 AM   #16
72cheyennesuper20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadchev72 View Post
How did they get the top on that blazer?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:26 AM   #17
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
Nope, don't agree.
An effective wheeler doesn't fall into the category of "single event" uses.
An effective wheeler needs to be able to meet the demands of the trail,
whether it be mud/rocks/sand or frame twister's.

A 1st gen w/35's and a 4" lift isn't gonna cut it out wheeling around.

The blazer shown above goes to the other extreme.
It's cool and well built but it won't be an effective wheeler either.

So yeah, I can say "won't be an effective wheeler" cause it's true.
I have read in more than one 4x4 mag where they have tried to build a "do all" 4x4 or "wheeler" . The dilema is that when you try to build one that does everything (mud, rocks, sand, frame twisters) you are going to have to comprise it's ability to do something else. This is why we see so many guys building purpose built rigs that fit their needs. Let's face it, extreme rockcrawlers aren't good sand buggys. Mud boggers aren't meant for running frame twisters. And none of these purpose built rigs are probably going to be fit to drive from the owners home to and from an event. I think that's why he's happy with his 4" of lift and 35's. It suits his purposes and is enough of a compromise that he can still drive it on the street. Saying an "effective wheeler" should be able to handle any event is like saying an effective racer should be able to run 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, circle track, road courses, and bonneville. They're all different venues that require compromises that would make it less effective at other events. So.............I guess in the meantime we're going to have to settle for building what's most effective for our personal needs. Now when one of us figures out a way to build a vehicle that does everything effectively (as a purpose built rig would in all different areas) I think the world will beat a path to our door asking us to share our secrets with them!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #18
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
I have read in more than one 4x4 mag where they have tried to build a "do all" 4x4 or "wheeler" . The dilema is that when you try to build one that does everything (mud, rocks, sand, frame twisters) you are going to have to comprise it's ability to do something else. This is why we see so many guys building purpose built rigs that fit their needs. Let's face it, extreme rockcrawlers aren't good sand buggys. Mud boggers aren't meant for running frame twisters. And none of these purpose built rigs are probably going to be fit to drive from the owners home to and from an event. I think that's why he's happy with his 4" of lift and 35's. It suits his purposes and is enough of a compromise that he can still drive it on the street. Saying an "effective wheeler" should be able to handle any event is like saying an effective racer should be able to run 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, circle track, road courses, and bonneville. They're all different venues that require compromises that would make it less effective at other events. So.............I guess in the meantime we're going to have to settle for building what's most effective for our personal needs. Now when one of us figures out a way to build a vehicle that does everything effectively (as a purpose built rig would in all different areas) I think the world will beat a path to our door asking us to share our secrets with them!

I think I might be being taken a little to seriously here and never said that a 4" lift w/35's couldn't be enjoyed.

However, let's be realistic.
A 4" lift with 35's will rub, will limit progress and will bend or tear sheet metal during easy to moderate wheeling.
That's all that was meant by being effective.

Nothing will do everything "great" and of course the deeper (more dedicated) you get into each area of off-roading, the more specific the machines become.

Then throw in the event called "Ultimate Adventure" and the discussion starts all over.

Last edited by vtblazer; 11-05-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #19
cstm68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72cheyennesuper20 View Post
How did they get the top on that blazer?
looks like the same way they got the body on. with an excavator!!!!

wouldent that be a little top heavy??
Old 11-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #20
72cheyennesuper20

[QUOTE=cstm68;2431699]looks like the same way they got the body on. with an excavator!!!!

I didn't notice that in the picture the first time I looked.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #21
bigbadchev72
People know me

not sure if you have to be a paying member to view, but here is his build thread, pretty interesting stuff, Not sure if im gonna hurt any feelings posting a link to another site, If its a problem please let me know:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206283
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #22
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

Top heavy? Whats that?
Attached Images

- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #23
blazerboy72

After having 8" with 38's for a few years now, Im going back down to 6" and 35's. Im not going to ever use my blazer offroad ( I have other for that) and it is no fun to drive on the street. When I restore it next (hopefully in the next year or two) it will be lowered down to a safe height to drive on the road.
blazerboy72 is offline   Reply With Quote