The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
BowTieOgre

Gas tank hard to fill

...and no im not just talking about the gas prices!

Every time I go to fill up the '80 I have to baby the filler trigger down to about 15% otherwise it cuts off like its full. As the tank gets closer to full I can get it up to about 50% but anything beyond that prompts a shut off. This morning I didnt have the nozzle all the way in (1/2" from all the way) and I got gas everywhere. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
bowtier
Nobody rides free

Re: Gas tank hard to fill

Mine's the same way.
I think it's the filler hose where it curves to connect to the tank. Mine looks slightly kinked at the bend and I think it just restricts the flow. I've found if I keep the nozzel just inside the hole, far enough I'm not spilling gass out (maybe 3/4"), I can fill at almost full bore.

Just a guess. Mine hasn't bothered me enough to mess with.
'01 Blazer - daily driver

"It's better to burn out than it is to rust."
-Neil Young
bowtier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
moneyeater

I have the same problem.Would be nice to hear about that!

´81 GMC C 10, Spanish Red
moneyeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

i wonder if it has something to do with what ever keeps you from getting a siphoning hose down it.. my 84 was the same way, you could only put the nozzlle in just a little, ad even then couldnt go to fast when filling it up... i do know that it is either the bend in the line or somethign in it, but you cant get a hose down there to siphon the hose out, i really tried to..lol
Old 11-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
chevymotocross

My 87 has that problem.... but only at certain gas stations. The one I always go to, I just set the pump on auto fill and let it do its thing. Other stations I go to, I can't hold the trigger more than 1/4 of the way or it will stop pumping.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Whaddya know, my 80 is the same way.

Some places it works at, some it doesnt, some pumps it works at, some it doesnt. I'm almost positive it's the design inside the gas tank. If you've ever seen inside the tank, the filler neck makes a sharp curve in there and goes through the tank horizontally. I would be willing to bet that this is the cause of it. I also think that if you somehow vented the tank differently, it might solve the problem.

if it does it again, try twisting the nozzle as if you were filling it from the side rather than straight ahead. This is what I do and it helps.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:00 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

hmm vent hoses not right?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:29 PM   #8
BowTieOgre

I crawled under it tonight and didnt see any kinked hoses but the metal portion of the fill tube (near the cap) has kind of a flat spot on the bottom where it changes the angle and connects to the rubber hose...maybe im sticking the nozzle in too far and it is bottle necking right there giving a false full cut off. I will try a more shallow approach next time I gas up.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:18 AM   #9
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

If you smell gas in the engine compartment and it's not coming from the carb, it could be the charcoal canister. Of course, that didn't help mine. Prolly a vent hose, as mentioned earlier.

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
GMC69

Well I just got my truck on the road last night, and went to fill it up for the first time. I ran into the same problem. Took forever to fill that tank up, and it barely flowed in. I had a feeling I was going to have an issue cause I tried to fill it with a jerry can the other night and it kept coming back at me. I figured then, it was the can causing the problem, but I guess not.

One side note, is that I had put 5 gallons in the truck when I first got it and had another tank on it, which I later discovered had a hole on top and let a bunch of water in it. That tank had no issues when filling with a jerry can.

I did talk to the previous owner, and he also said that you had to find the sweet spot when filling the truck.

I am going to try a different station tomorrow and put a bit more gas in it.

2019 Silvedrado 4x4
1970 Chevy 3/4 ton, 396BB, on air bags
GMC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #11
71swb4x4

It sounds to me like you have a plugged or restricted vent hose. It's not allowing the air to come back out. Replace the vent hose and all should be good.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #12
BBEEP

Had exactly the same problem. It WAS the vent line. Be sure and replace it with fuel hose and resist the temptation of grabbing a leftover heaterhose. It will work for a while and then fall apart from the inside, filling your tank with crap!
BBEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:12 PM   #13
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

Both tanks on my 81 are extremely picky about how I fill them.

I've found that if you rest the nozzle part way in to the filler hole, then only put the auto latch on the first notch, it will fill from empty to about 3/4 - 7/8 full. Then let it sit for a minute (for the bubbles and foam to go down) then click it on to the first notch again, it will fill all the way up.

I've talked to MANY people around here that have the same type of truck and they all have the same problem. It's just something we've all gotten used to dealing with.

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:27 PM   #14
GMC69

Well my problem is now fixed.

I checked the vent tube and it was clear. But I did notice that the angle at which the filler hose was sitting, didn't look quite right.

I had a spare one from a tank I bought, and decided to swap them out. This one has less of a bend just before it goes into the tank, and it works like a charm. I was able to fill it up at full tilt. I did have to make sure the nozzle wasn't sitting on the flat piece at the bottom of the filler neck, but other than that, it's great.

2019 Silvedrado 4x4
1970 Chevy 3/4 ton, 396BB, on air bags
GMC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:51 PM   #15
chev74
Addicted to Chevy

i think its the newer 'safer' gas pumps. they are more sensitive and were not designed for our trucks.
chev74 is offline   Reply With Quote