The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Pics of your throttle bracket please?

For starters, 80 C10, 350/TH350 with an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold and Performer 600cfm carb w/ electric choke (#1400).

When I bought the carb, the guys at my local performance shop told me I needed a new bracket to hold the throttle cable and kickdown, and they handed me an Edelbrock bracket. It's chrome, held in by the left rear nut on the carb, and you can adjust the brackets to move back and forth, depending on what your application is.

It's great and all, but the problem is that because there's just one nut holding the bracket, it doesn't like to stay in place. If I get on it pretty good, the force of the kickdown spring will twist the bracket to the side, and it won't allow it to open the throttle all the way. Also, the nuts that keep the adjusting brackets tight end up coming loose after a couple weeks, and the brackets will slide forward, and sometimes it won't even kick down if I need it to. PITA I tell ya!

I guess my main question is, what kind of throttle brackets are you guys with similar setups using? And how does it hold up?

I know for a fact I want something adjustable. It's gotta have the kickdown bracket. And I don't wanna pay some outrageous price for it. Jegs has brackets for 70 bucks, that's too much. I don't care what kind of finish it is, how it looks, as long as it's adjustable and has the kickdown, and is held in more securely.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any pics or links or info you guys can give.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
86longbed

Re: Pics of your throttle bracket please?

this is what I run and it gets the job done and looks pretty nice...although with certain valve cover and manifold setups it can be a little bit of a tight squeeze...I will get a picture from off my truck later when I am at home

Last edited by 86longbed; 11-14-2007 at 06:02 PM.
86longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
smills78gmc

Here is what I have, it works just fine. I think it came from Autozone.

smills78gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

im posting a pic of whats on mine now with the kickdown not hooked up.. i bought an aftermarket piece in Pep Boys and havent hooked it up yet.. edelbrock offers several solutions part numbers 8030 , 8036 and 8037 if memory serves correct, but they were pricey at like $29.99 each or more and i didnt find them in stores but only through mail order at summit , and i refuse to pay shipping fees
I bought the one at pep boys for $19.99 its part number 24283by Spectre performance if i take a pic of it in the package, you wont see much but let me know if you really want one
Attached Images

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
xtreme80

86longbed, that's the exact bracket I was talking about that was from Jegs for like 70 bucks. A little more than I wanna pay, but it sure does look nice.

smills78gmc, Im pretty sure that's the exact one I have, and it's crap! I don't know if your linkage is tight like mine is, but the kickdown pulls the bracket towards the right, and messes up the angles.

old Rusty C10, if you get a chance, snap a pic when you get it on. I may just go to autozone or pep boys or something and see what they have for brackets over there.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

looking at the pic posted by Smills78GMC mine looks very similar heres junky pics from in the package
Attached Images

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Lokar stuf
Attached Images

tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:36 PM   #8
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Here is mine.

I had to modify it a little. The RPM Air gap intake is taller then I expected.
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:17 AM   #9
xtreme80

gchemist, that is much more like what I'm looking for. Where did you get that? How much?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:30 AM   #10
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

The bracket is made by Edelbrock. Available in chrome or plated colors.

Part number 350-8036 at www.jegs.com
$25.99.
$24.95 at www.summitracing.com
The chrome one costs a little more. Check with Edelbrock for the chrome part number.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:13 AM   #11
xtreme80

Thanks! I'll be ordering it friday!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:01 PM   #12
454HO

Here is a pic of the one I'm using on one of my projects.

Yes I know that's not a truck... there is no carb... and there is no kick-down cable. I'm sure this won't help you at all, but I do like the way this bracket mounts... especially if you ever decide to try a carb spacer or maybe add a nitrous plate.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:48 PM   #13
Pyrotechnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchemist View Post
Here is mine.

I had to modify it a little. The RPM Air gap intake is taller then I expected.
I have that same bracket. When I had swapped motors I had it on a RPM Air Gap and had the same issues, it just wasn't tall enough to give the cables a straight shot to the linkage. I also had an issue figuring a return spring setup. Come to think of it, I've never had a decent return spring setup for one of these carbs.

I'd like to find a piece that mounts to 2 carb studs closest to the linkage and mounts both throttle and kickdown cables, and has a return spring. I wouldn't mind paying $100+ for a setup like this if it solved all my problems.

Then of course, I wanna swap to a 2004R or 700R4 later and I get to play this game all over again with the TV cable. Great.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:11 PM   #14
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Not sure what transmission you have, but if you have an OD, you might consider BTO brackets ~$20 That's what I use. Sorry, no pix of mine installed.

-Todd

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!

Last edited by PhilaTruck; 11-15-2007 at 10:11 PM.
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote