The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2007, 01:49 AM   #1
4865nnn

halogen headlights

i was thinking about getting the euro lights from lmc and was wondering if anyone has them. what i wanted to know was whether the heavy duty headlight harness that they sell is really necessary and if so what do you do about wiring for the marker lamps as it seems it doesnt include wiring for those.
4865nnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
69TowRig

Re: halogen headlights

The HD harness converts the Headlight circuit to a more modern relay setup. This does 2 things: 1. Significantly reduces the current running through the headlight switch in the dash, and 2. reduces the resistance going to the headlights from the battery.

This will both make the dash and the headlights brighter as well as reduce the chance of an electrical failure of the headlight switch. If you don't buy their harness, it is at least worth it to make your own.

No clue on the lights, hoping someone will chime in because I have been interested in them as well.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
4865nnn

thanks for the technical info. the harness is only $30 so i guess its worth buying rather than messing around trying to make my own and hopefully the instructions will be clear enough as to how to deal with the marker lamps.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

I have had halogens on my truck for a few years. I did not get them from LMC, but they are Hella lenses with 55W (phillips iirc)bulbs. When I got them the lenses were a really hard item to find, now they're pretty common.

Made a big diff, as said above, dash was brighter and so was my view of the road.

I made my own harness, at the time it was a real hard to find part..

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
matthufham

i have the halogens. ebay for 10 dollars, 20 to ship.

i upgraded the wiring myself, because i know how to wire up relays, it's that easy.

i need to aim them down more, but i broke my adjusters, and need to buy new square plastic nut things at 50 cents each. the lights are brighter, but if i did it again, i'd use a hid ballast and xenon bulbs.

matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
mrein3

Personally I think the modern style, replaceable bulb headlights are a waste of money.

If you upgrade your wiring to use relays, and use sealed beam halogen headlights available at ANY auto parts store, you'll be just fine.

Replacements are a Wal*Mart away if you break a bulb on the road.
Center City, MN

Last edited by mrein3; 12-12-2007 at 12:01 PM.
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
69C10@16

Wiring the relays is an extremely easy mod if you have any knowledge of relays. And of course if you dont, why not obtain some!

Here's where I learned everything about relays at.
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp
Its a realy handy site. Basically all you have to do is get two relays and have your dimmer switch on the floor activate the relay instead of your headlights. The relay is basically just a switch and it connects your headlights directly to the battery when they're on. Thus getting rid of large current draws through the old wiring up under your dash and through your headlight switch. It also reduces the resistance to your headlights from the battery which allows a bit more voltage. I read somewhere about if you drop the voltage by 5% to your headlights it can reduce the light output by 15% or something like that. I cant remember the exact percentages. But you can see why every tenth of a volt is nice to have at the lights. Good luck!
69C10@16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
Chevy1TonFun
Grease Monkey

I installed them and they work great. I use the ultra silverstars from sylvania. You will probably have to trim the inside of the headlight bowl.

FOR SALE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ton-4x4&cat=12
Chevy1TonFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #9
Musclerodz

LMC relays are crap. Buy them from someone else. The old wiring in these trucks are not designed to handle the loads of halogen or H4 modern lights. They can and will melt down headlight switches.

Mike
Old 12-13-2007, 01:06 AM   #10
4865nnn

this site is a great source of information. thanks again for all the input.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #11
BOSS
Just here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
LMC relays are crap. Buy them from someone else. The old wiring in these trucks are not designed to handle the loads of halogen or H4 modern lights. They can and will melt down headlight switches.

Mike
Do you or any other vendors carry them?I dont like buying from LMC and i have the lights but i think i need a harness for them to make them better.

Norwood Survivor
BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:35 PM   #12
Hardway

I did an H4 upgrade on my '69 Camaro using an APC harness and housings from Classic Industries. They look more OE than the diamond stye housings from LMC and they should fit the same.

I have the full write up with pics here: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=111105
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

matthufham,
Where did you get the connector to fit over the relay? That makes for a slick job. It also looks factory too!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:53 PM   #14
matthufham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
matthufham,
Where did you get the connector to fit over the relay? That makes for a slick job. It also looks factory too!
i bought an alarm at a local audio/tint shop, but didn't use the relays or the alarm so i used the relays on my lights.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #15
SkylineNXS

I bought botht the lamps and the harness from LMC for my 66, and it works great. I also purchesed the blue bulbs from lmc for the lights, cause the trks blue. The new harness comes with the relay setup, described earlier, but some wiring is a little funky and not described well in the instructions due to the fact that they are from wherever the hell oversees and they cant spell. If u have a general knowledge of wiring u can do it easily. The problem with the 66 upgrade was that the harness to the headlights only has 2 prongs at the core support for the point, and the new HD harness has 3, which includes a ground for the relays. I dont know what the harness looks like ont he 72's (I have a 72 and never looked), but it should be easy. If you need any help if you do buy it, just PM me...

BRAD
Attached Images

1966 C10 SWB Fleet, 250 I6, three on the tree....

Previously Owned....
1987 Chevy R10 "Silverado" (at least the badges were) Short Step 350 700r4....

1972 Chevy LWB Fleet 350/350

EXTENDED CAB ALL THE WAY!

.._..~...-...._...____
.._..-...______|_|__\____
..-..~.|_(O)__|_|__|_(O)]
SkylineNXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:24 PM   #16
Musclerodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS View Post
Do you or any other vendors carry them?I dont like buying from LMC and i have the lights but i think i need a harness for them to make them better.
We use AAW's relay kit. Pricey at $65, but I feel their products are worth every penny in quality and readable instructions.

Mike