The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
LBJ

When Changing Cab Bushings...

be sure to put your tranny in LOW or just disconnect it period. I just got back from the transmission repair shop. Cost me $160 to have the internal parts replaced. I had jacked the front of the cab to replace the bushings under the rediator and I heard a BANG! Turned out it was the tranny shift lever linkage inside the pan that blew up. Lots of pieces in the pan. The guy said it was lucky it would still go into all gears. Could have just as easily failed in forward or reverse. I had the select lever in PARK, thus, putting strain on the shift linkage all the way down to the lever on the side of the tranny. That's behind me now, but beware if you do this yourself. LBJ
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
C&C Chevy

Re: When Changing Cab Bushings...

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/exte...b_bushings.htm

Hmm, in this write up, they replace the bushings on one side at a time, left and right. I wonder if this would of prevented the stress of the tranny?

Current:
1986 SWB Silverado 4.3 / TH400

Past:
1985 SWB Silverado 305 / TH350 - sold 1995
1987 1/2 ton Silverado - FI 350 / 700R4 sold 2007
C&C Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
LBJ

These are the two right under the radiator. Not really enough to measure left/right. Not raised enough to cause a problem, or so I thought. I did the others left right, one at a time.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

thank you for posting this im getting ready to do some cab repair and prolly wouldnt have thought of taking the likage off

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
LBJ

OldrustyC10,

You might want to try the synthetic urethane bushings from Summit or another performance shop. I've got some pics of the new and old. I'll see if I cant find them. The new bushings make a LOT of difference in the ride quality. I noticed it RIGHT off when I took it out. Here's the old ones with the new box. They were in pretty bad shape.

Last edited by LBJ; 01-04-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
tyjoja

I used the write up that cc posted, and followed to the letter and had no probs at all, though mine is a manual tran. I did the two up front also and used the poly, and have no complaints and think the cab sits straighter. Mine also had big flat spacer/washers with the old, wich I made sure I put back on correctly. lots of luck bob
tyjoja is offline   Reply With Quote