The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2008, 08:11 AM   #11
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: electric fan v/s motor driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyC102007 View Post
Ok I can understand the HP/ mileage increase of the electric fans. But IMO if ya wanted to decrease even more parasiti power loss wouldnt it make sense to also run an electric water pump? Or under/overdrive pulleys? I guess Im not understanding just stopping at the electric fan solution. Im sure Ill get flamed for this post and I dont mean to step all over the original post but its just my opinion.
There is a breakover point on parasitic items. You have to consider the amount of increase of electrical use you would have and the extra drag you would have on the 140 amp alternator needed for the electrical load. The alternator is ONLY cutting a magnetic field, but the field is resultant of the load needed to cover ALL of the items used. The electric water pump would be great and many drag cars and some show cars use them, but there is a relability factor here. Can you get one on the road to Tulsa or Victorville, when you break one? At least most of the local parts stores carry the belt driven ones.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote