The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
whatnow123

stepside bed install and backspacing photos

Hey Everyone!

Well, took the bed out of the backyard finally so I could have a mock up of a good fender while I fill in the side marker on the other one. Took the truck around back and loaded the bed on for the first time. I was freaking out a little when we put it on as I ordered my wheels without the bed on the truck and did it with a lot of "figgurin" instead of actual measurements. If you check my build thread for the picture, you can see it came with a 54-66 bed and I didn't know enough about the truck at the time to know the difference.

Anyway, it looks like I measured my wheels dead right for what I wanted. I second-guessed myself so many times after I got the wheels, but I think it turned out perfect!

For those that want to know as backspacing seems to always be a topic on here, the rear rims are 17 x 10 with 4.5 inch backspacing and the tires are 285 60 17. I have the narrow 67 to mid 70 rearend which is the key info that most seem to leave out when they answer about their backspacing as 3/4 of an inch per side can really make or break the way the wheels sit in there. With that said, if it's the wider rearend, a 10 inch rim with 5.25 backspacing would be about the same (or adjust the backspacing accordingly for the rim width, for example a 9 inch rim would need 3.5 inch backspacing for the same outside track width with a narrower rear, 4.25 backspacing for the wider rear). BTW, there is about a 1/2 inch to the bedside and the tires/rims are just barely inside the fenders.

Just trying to share my limited knowledge about the subject with the above info as I see it as it seems to puzzle most. I can't believe there isn't a FAQ on the subject with examples (and photos) with ALL the pertinent information (long or narrow axle for example); not just backspace and tire size. This could lead members in the wrong direction when making an expensive wheel purchase and have them wondering why their wheels don't fit/look how they thought they would or on the photo of the members truck they were admiring and got info from.

Please feel free to add to the subject as I'm not an expert and I just wanted to post this just to help out....

Let me know how you think it's coming along!
Attached Images

Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=219094

Last edited by whatnow123; 01-07-2008 at 03:21 PM.
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote