The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #51
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Re: What to do?? LS2 or Big Block for my project

Not trying to high jack, if I am let me know and I will post a new thread.
I found a LQ9 in my local classifieds and was wondering what you guys think. I called the guy and he believes it came out of a 03 Gmc that had around 60,000 miles. No Computer with it. He did not know what trany it was just said it was a 5 speed auto.

Here Is his Add.

"Vortec 6.0 Liter LQ9 w/ auto tranny $400. I bought this engine/tranny from a dude who wrecked his truck. I was going to put it into my FJ40, but i ended up putting a different engine in it.This engine is disassembled, but i have all the parts from when i took it apart. Probably needs a rebuild kit. To be honest, I don't have the time or know-how to get it up and going, so this could be a real steal if you're into this sort of thing."
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #52
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by lts70 View Post
Not trying to high jack, if I am let me know and I will post a new thread.
I found a LQ9 in my local classifieds and was wondering what you guys think. I called the guy and he believes it came out of a 03 Gmc that had around 60,000 miles. No Computer with it. He did not know what trany it was just said it was a 5 speed auto.

Here Is his Add.

"Vortec 6.0 Liter LQ9 w/ auto tranny $400. I bought this engine/tranny from a dude who wrecked his truck. I was going to put it into my FJ40, but i ended up putting a different engine in it.This engine is disassembled, but i have all the parts from when i took it apart. Probably needs a rebuild kit. To be honest, I don't have the time or know-how to get it up and going, so this could be a real steal if you're into this sort of thing."
The block is worth what you paid if it is a 6.0
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #53
shifty
Questionable

My opinion? With no accessories, no computer and possibly no sensors on it, you're looking at at least $1600-1800 (minimum) to rebuild the engine and equip it as it is from the factory with teh computer and other crap - and that's a minimum.

The original owner is probably selling it because he realized he was going to pay out the wazoo to reassemble it. Believe me, you'll pay less money to buy a complete setup with lower mileage than to deal with that one. Unless you are an engine builder and plan on a stout buildup, AND you have complete access to a junkyard to net all of the peripheral parts and sensors CHEAP, then I would personally pass on that deal.

If you're adventurous and have the budget and patience, I say go for it. I'd almost guarantee that the person posting that tore it all down without thinking about how much it would cost to reassemble. The block and tranny might be worth it to the right person, but ... I'm not that person, and don't know anyone who is.

My 2¢

EDIT: Oh yeah - almost forgot, if you ARE the kind of person who's got the means to build it back up, you can tell if it's a 6.0L by looking at the block, it will be embossed with a 6.0L on the front or rear of it (I forget exact location, but you should see it easily).

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 01-09-2008 at 11:11 AM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #54
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Thanks Jkade. I have not purchased it yet just looking into it. How would I know if it was a 6.0 for sure? What would the trany be? Is there anything I should be weary of? Thanks for any advice.

Good point shifty. I am good with my hands but that might be out of my range and budget. I thought that if the rebuild kit and computer were priced in my range I could take my time and learn as I go. But if it would cost me that much. There are other areas I could use the money with and would rather go with a complete motor.

Last edited by lts70; 01-09-2008 at 11:18 AM.
lts70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #55
shifty
Questionable

Look at this picture:

http://images.chevyhiperformance.com...ming_chain.jpg

Notice the 6.0L? That is how you will know. Like I said previously, you'll find it embossed on the block.

And I know you asked jkade, but ... tranny will most likely be a 4l80e (not a 4l60e)

I would be interested to hear other people's input on costs - but as I see it, you're looking at:

$100 minimum for harness.
$150-200 minimum for PCM (computer).
$350 for the used front accessories like PS pump, water pump, alternator, etc. (no A/C compressor)
$200 minimum used for the intake, fuel rails and injectors
Heads are there, but laying flat on floor, probably will need a rebuild or cleanup, $150 minimum.
For all sensors - knock sensors, IAT sensor, MAF, MAP sensor, oil pressure, water temp, and every other sensor (there are plenty), if you can't salvage (used), new will set you back at least $250.

Starter is at least $100-150 used unless you can find at a pull-a-part (uncommon around here).

This is just an initial inventory. It *IS* possible you could find someone selling off all this stuff on the engine to strip to a bare block OR convert to a carb'd setup versus EFI, but ... I wouldn't want to hunt that out - I'd rather buy a complete setup with 30k or less miles for $2000-2500 shipped (w/tranny).

I saw the other day in my local craigslist a '99 LS1 plus 4l60e - $300 for engine with all acessories, $300 for tranny. Seller would fire-up on-site for you to hear, then pull it. I think it had 78k miles on it. You're talking about a 5.7L engine versus a 6.0L, not too much diff'ce (maybe iron block versus aluminum, but ...)

Anyway...point being - you can score a deal buying individually or dismantled if you know what you're doing. I don't, personally, so I'd end up losing money, and I've seen guys make the mistake of buying a torn down engine...and spending twice as much.

(I will also say - I am not a pessimist! I am a REALIST! Realistically, if it were me, I'd see the low initial pricetag and go for it, but realistically, I'd wind up with more money sunk into it...and probably not rebuild something right, and nuke my whole engine 500 miles later!!)

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 01-09-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #56
streetstar

If you were wanting to build it pretty radical and put a 750 dominator on it and a huge amount of spray or something like that, it might be a good deal--

but Shifty is right if your just looking for a street engine and want the FI- it would be almost not worth the hassle

I have paid more attention to these engines since this thread started and kind of dig 'em now. The March '08 issue of CarCraft just arrived and it has an article about fast LS cars.
7.91 at 177 in a late model F'bird and a '98 Vette that puts out 1200hp to the rear wheels. Thats big league power and right up there with the big blocks and big hemis in the competition

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #57
TonyJohnson

For that price, you could sell the block, heads and crank and have free 4l80e. Maybe some $ left over...
Old 01-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #58
shifty
Questionable

Just as examples so you guys know i'm not BS'ing ya, here is the kinda stuff i see all day long on Craigslist here in Atlanta:

LS1 $300, tranny $350: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/pts/509611509.html

2004 5.3L with tranny, 6,500 miles for $1200: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/pts/522663642.html

2002 5.3L with 2k miles fully loaded, $1,000: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/pts/509868093.html

2005 (6.0L, probably) with ~30k miles, $800: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/pts/507573721.html

seriously - there are deals out there everywhere you turn around that will net you everything you need - you just need to be aware, be on-the-ball, know where to look (this took me 3-4 minutes to find), and ... well, have cash in hand and be ready to pick it up.

i'm lucky that i live near Atlanta, because there are a huge number of deals locally. the ones above are just the local Craigslist ads that weren't removed after sale - i've probably seen a half a dozen or more ads in the last 6 weeks that are gone already (deleted/sold).

where else can you get an entire drivetrain pushing 300HP with engine/tranny and all wiring for $1200 or less and still get in the 18-24 mpg range?

it just doesn't exist

Old 01-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #59
Nickpisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
Just as examples so you guys know i'm not BS'ing ya, here is the kinda stuff i see all day long on Craigslist here in Atlanta:

LS1 $300, tranny $350: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/pts/509611509.html

2005 (6.0L, probably) with ~30k miles, $800: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/pts/507573721.html
The 1st one says LS1 and 5-speed. Camaro's didn't have that combo so he must be mistaken.

The other one says Tahoe/Yukon which means it's a 5.3.

I wish I could find deals like that around here. You have them all over the place.
Nickpisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #60
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
I have paid more attention to these engines since this thread started and kind of dig 'em now. The March '08 issue of CarCraft just arrived and it has an article about fast LS cars.
7.91 at 177 in a late model F'bird and a '98 Vette that puts out 1200hp to the rear wheels. Thats big league power and right up there with the big blocks and big hemis in the competition
YES YES YES YES!!!!! Another convert in the making!!!!

Technology is a beautiful thing. I don't just mean fuel injection either, but all the awesome technology that is in the LS engines.

There's cars in the deeeeeep 10s and high 9s with the STOCK LSx BOTTOM END.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628308

Check out www.ls1tech.com for LOTS more info on anything and everything LS.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #61
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickpisp View Post
The 1st one says LS1 and 5-speed. Camaro's didn't have that combo so he must be mistaken.
Could be a typo? We'll never know b/c he didn't list the year Oh well...as for this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickpisp View Post
The other one says Tahoe/Yukon which means it's a 5.3.
According to GM website, the Yukon Denali and other Yukon models came with a 6.0L optional: http://media.gm.com/division/2005_pr...C_Overview.htm

Quoted from that page: "For the first time, 17-inch wheels are now stand-alone options and 20-inch wheels are available on Yukon Denali and Yukon XL Denali. The Vortec 6000 6.0L V-8 (LQ9) engine receives an increase in both horsepower and torque, to 335 horsepower (257 kw) and 375 lb.-ft. (508 Nm); the power increases come from improved-flow cylinder heads, optimized fuel and spark calibrations and the addition of electric fans that replace the previous engine-driven fan, thereby reducing engine drag. "

Funny, when looking that one up, I came across an LQ9 in Toronto for $1500 CAD (== 1600 USD right now?): http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...QAdIdZ31992789

Of course, it's nearly 3.5 weeks old.

The deals...they're out theeeeeerrreeee

Last edited by shifty; 01-09-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #62
68fleetsidec20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
Here's one that was done for $2,565.21 (would have been $2,067.96 with better planning, per his admission - this was his second GenIII swap, too):

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=239446
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707811
I have been absent from the board for a while but I saw this post and thought I should throw in my input.

Shifty; This was actually my first GenIII swap. I think the confusion is from in one of my posts I mentioned that had had converted my Firebird To Fuel injection, but that was using Megasquirt on a 454 bbc.

So as someone who has ran a carbed big block, and injected big block, and a GenIII engine;
Do the GenIII/IV swap
The cost of the Injected big block was around the same as the 5.3L, and as mentioned I could have done the 5.3L cheaper.
Sure the 454 makes around 150 more hp but power wasn't the goal with the 5.3L, reliability and fuel efficiency was And it has done well in both categories. I only open the hood for oil changes, I am getting 19mpg compared to 11mpg with the 454 and thats in a more aerodynamic 600lb lighter car.
Also lots of guys are making the high power (at a little more cost) and still have the mileage and reliability.
In fact I think an LS2/3 will be installed in the Firebird in the future

So if your not afraid of a few extra wires the choice should be obvious.
68fleetsidec20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:44 AM   #63
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68fleetsidec20 View Post
So if your not afraid of a few extra wires the choice should be obvious.
Truthfully, that's not even a good excuse anymore. Speartech makes it sooooooooooo easy, literally ANYBODY can do it.

Honestly, I was almost disappointed about how easy it was to swap the LS engine into my truck....until I drove it the first time. Should have done it back in '99
Turbo diesel
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:14 AM   #64
streetstar

I wouldnt say i'm a total convert, but If i had $400 laying around , i would probably purchase that operation (you might even get it cheaper) - a prepped 350 block costs that much.

I would use it as the basis for a fantasy engine. Bore and stroke it to 427, big 'ol 930 carb and a blow through supercharger system -- 700 streetable horsepower.

The exterior dimensions are quite a bit smaller than a big block too, making it easier to package a twin turbo system and retain the FI if being modern is your thing.

I definitely want to try one of these within the next year, just to be different ---

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #65
jkade

You can buy the motor and sell me the trans if it is a 2wd I just threw away a good truck intake last week and I may still have one more if you need one, I know I have a fuel rail and injectors. Buy that thing if it says 6.0 on back of the block. It also should have a set of 317 heads if it is a 6.0 also and they will bring $200 because I just sold a set off my lq4. I need a LQ9 rotating assembly so if you buy it and want to part it out and it is a lq9 I might buy the rotating assembly from you. More than likley the trans is from a 4x4 since the tailshaft isn't on there.

Good luck.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:49 AM   #66
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

If a deal I'm working on goes thru, I'll have a 5.7L LS1 going in my truck, and a mostly complete 5.3L to sell someone on here....after I become a paid member, of course
Turbo diesel
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!