The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
70ChevyCST

gas saving fuel saver

Has anyone tried one of these? It sounds too good to be true, which immediately makes me a skeptic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GAS-S...em160194063050

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks guys, Bob
I'm a grateful Christian not perfect in any way, but always striving to become better with Christ's help. I'm grateful for what He did for me on that cross at Calvary. I hope there is a desire in your heart for the same: If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
70ChevyCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
skokie

Re: gas saving fuel saver

I haven't used one but looking forward to replies on this.

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
whatnow123

This totally works, but not exactly how you think or how it's presented, but I will explain to the best of my knowledge.

1. You order the part by removing cash from you pocket.
2. You install the part.
3. You can achieve an increase in mileage due the lighter weight of the vehicle (e.g. your wallet).

At over 3 bucks a gallon and lagging sales, if this actually worked every car dealer in the US would be installing these

Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=219094
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

He should have proof read all that. I'm no spelling or grammer champ my self.

I would like to hear from someone that has used this product.
LOW DOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
chevy72blu

Im sure its one of those "tornado" type things. 30 HP, 20 TQ, and 5+ MPG? For 8 dollars? Come on now.

Might as well spend money on bigger wee wee pills or one of those blinky lights that are supposed to alleviate back pain.

edit: I just read the whole listing. Its a module that retunes your computer to lean out the A/F. According to them, manufacturers of FI vehicles tune the EFI too rich. Well they are smarter than the automotive engineers and are willing to fix their mistake. Yeah right.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e

Last edited by chevy72blu; 01-16-2008 at 12:35 PM.
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
70rs/ss

Summit sells a fuel catalist that is supposed to work, and if Summit, a multi gazillion dollar company carries it, it must sorta work?? As for the ebay thing, where's the picture? I doubt It is legit, but the one from Summit appears to be.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

Can't be a "tornado". He says it plugs into the OBD port. Well, he doesn't say OBD. But he says it pugs in. Probably one of those tuner things.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
Summit sells a fuel catalist that is supposed to work, and if Summit, a multi gazillion dollar company carries it, it must sorta work?? As for the ebay thing, where's the picture? I doubt It is legit, but the one from Summit appears to be.
I was thinking the same thing.... weres the pic?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
Sweet72

Amazing claim and guaranteed to save you fuel! This is another gimmick. These people will stop at nothing to prey on folks who really are trying to stretch their social security check. Magnet on the fuel line, fuel atomizing tornado, whatever. I find it hard to believe that any "electronic gizmo" worth $8.50 will make 5-10 mpg guaranteed.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72 View Post
I find it hard to believe that any "electronic gizmo" worth $8.50 will make 5-10 mpg guaranteed.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #11
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

If there was anything to it, you know the oil companies would be buying the rights and taking it off of the market!!! At least that's what I've heard in the past when things like the "200 MPG carburetor" were offered.

Back in the first Arab oil embargo of '73, there was a device that was guaranteed to increase your fuel mileage, because (just like this device says) the fuel mixture is too rich. Guess what they were selling back then? It was a device that did nothing more than lean out your fuel mixture by creating a vacuum leak. With more air being introduced to the combustion stream, the theory is that it will be leaner and we will get more miles per gallon of gasoline. Theory, schmeory. Whatta buncha bunk.

I proved on my vehicle, a '96 Silverado with a 5.7, that the Tornado wouldn't work, and didn't work. This thing won't do anything but lean out your mixture by virtue of a vacuum leak, and you'll run the risk of burning intake valves as a result. Wanna do that? How much gas can you buy for the price of a valve job?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #12
72 cheyenne pdx

although I have not used any of these fuel saving products nor do I know anybody who has. I am skeptic of these types of products. That being said, I wonder if this board (being a member or a group of members) test these types of products and give us a write up on it; good or bad.

For Example, I am part of the North American Fishing Club (NAFC). They have field testing for the members who want to participate (I am one of these members, but as of yet haven't received anything to test). From the way it looks, the manufacturers/companies who support this club, sends out equipment to the NAFC who in return sends them to a group of members to test and use for x amount of days. The member then fills out a report on the likes/dislikes about the product and is then published in their monthly magazine. I think we should do something similiar and post it in the review section.

Just a thought. I am a nobody on here and have no pull what so ever. Just a suggestion. Sorry for the hi-jack.

SEA

Last edited by 72 cheyenne pdx; 01-16-2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: grammar
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
wibilly

it don't have to work to be garented the percentage of people that will acualy send it back for a refund is very low i bet
Old 01-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #14
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 cheyenne pdx View Post
although I have not used any of these fuel saving products nor do I know anybody who has. I am skeptic of these types of products. That being said, I wonder if this board (being a member or a group of members) test these types of products and give us a write up on it; good or bad.SEA
Don't think anyone will send anything to anybody on the board. If you like, you can get one and tell us of your experience

Seriously, I don't think the people who are offering this device really care one whit about anyone on this or any other website. Hence, no pictures, etc. The entity proffering such crap is only trying to make a buck off of people trying to save one, too. P.T. Barnum come to mind?

Old 01-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

I think the old saying "If it sounds to good to be true..." will suffice in this situation. Most of the people in his feedback claim that the "mod" is a resistor.
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #16
marcuspboldt
Registered Abuser

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/...ne_saving.html
marcuspboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #17
Eddie H.

It looks like something straight out of the JC Whitney catalog.
It's all a bunch of baloney. Modern fuel injected engines are already designed to run at the optimal fuel/air mixture ( around 14.7:1) in order to meet exhaust emissions.. (Except for certain driving conditions which require a richer mixture such as heavy acceleration, cold start/warm up, etc.) They are already running as lean as they can without causing driveability problems, or engine damage. These gimmicks are nothing more than a scam.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:14 PM   #18
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

pluged in at a gasstation felt the difference right away!!! great product A++++

Fast delivery!!...surprised came in an envelope

module??? it is just a resistor!!!!!

and my favorite.....................this chip is a joke.

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:11 AM   #19
cameeks
Long Fleet Club

I had to stop reading but thought all of he feedback was funny also

-I blew my tpi sensor! User error

-Not sure how a resistor can do all this, but looking forward to the improvements

-module??? it is just a resistor!!!!!

-Great price and fast shipping, but the item does not work as advertised.

-this chip is a joke.

-Fast Delivery /// Good Instructions /// Just a Resistor

-Item is a joke!

-this risistor don;t improve mph or hp- defeats ait sensor and can damage egr val

-You get what you pay for !!!

-Was expecting a chip like in the picture hope this works

-Just a resistor, not a chip. Doesn't work. Don't buy it.

-BAD!!!unstable idle,less power,hard shifts on 02 04 ranger 3.0 got suckered

'69 Chevy Custom/10 Long Bed <-- Thread of the work I did before selling.
Truck is now finished to the new owners design and running around.
I was shown some pictures of the finished product. At least it survived the junk yard.

FAQ Index by Krue Site Vendors Subscribe Here Forum Rules
cameeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:48 AM   #20
Frizzle Fry

OK Guys, I'm always a skeptic

Horsepower TV on Powerblock did back-to-back dyno pulls on a 502 using one of the in-line catalyzing filter deals an did see an improvement. Here's a Google search on it. You'll find it being debated all over the place. Personally I do understand the chemistry behind the theory so it's not out of the question in my opinion: Catalysts can increase or decrease the speed of reactions; in this case slow it down. This would allow you to advance the timing or increase boost or compression just like a higher octane fuel.

Granted, it all depends on the particular engine. Some can benefit from higher octane, others will not.

Does it make economical sense? Probably not. It's about $120.

As for the eBay auction... no words
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:47 AM   #21
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

If you tell someone that they will get better gas mileage if they install "whatever" device they buy, the usual result is that the newly-installed device will work like a string tied around your finger and the only resulting act will be that the driver will modify his/her driving and effect an improvement in gas mileage.

If on the other hand, you install a device that says the performance will be improved, more horsepower, more torque, yada, yada, yada......the usual result will be a significant decrease in fuel economy and comments that it works, or it doesn't. No middle of the road opinions if the goal is to increase power, etc. We all look for seat-of-the-pants baseline measurement increases for $25. I did it when I had a new '71 VW. When something is slow as smoke from a dying fire, and the only result is more smoke in your face....

Old 01-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #22
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

We've done in house testing on the in-line catalyzing filter and they do in fact work, but it is only a 1 to 2 MPG increase.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #23
Sweet72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
We've done in house testing on the in-line catalyzing filter and they do in fact work, but it is only a 1 to 2 MPG increase.
That 1-2 mpg can add up, just have to wait till you recover the initial cost.

As fot this wondrous product sold on SleazeBay... Remember the "Rubber Dog Crap" you could order from the Johnson & Smith catalogs back in the 70's? You'd be better off spending your money on rubber crap and maybe getting a laugh or two!
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #24
Draggn66
Wrenchin & Sandin!!!

Sounds like bunk to me

My Favorite eBay Searches

My Driver Restore Thread
1971 C10 Longbed
2005 Silverado Shortbed
2005 FXDWG
Draggn66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #25
truckster

These schemes have been tested by the EPA, Popular Mechanics, and MythBusters, among others. The net findings are that not only do the devices not work, some actually decrease fuel economy and can damage engines.

The ad claims the chip resets the air/fuel ratio to stoichiometric levels. The stoichiometric ratio for gasoline is 14.7:1. A fuel injected, computer controlled engine will rarely run at ratios of less than 14.7:1, and can at time reach ratios approaching 48:1, which is a super-lean condition. In other words, readjusting the ratio to stoichiometric level would ADD gasoline to the mixture, resulting in a net loss of economy.

Makes about as much sense as adding an herbal pill to your fuel tank to get better mileage...
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote