The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
randyjohn

Question has anyone used one of these kits?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

these Firestone kits are out of the Summit catalog and are helper spring kits for chevy/gmc pickups (there are several other kits for vans, burbs, 4x4, etc.). i was wondering if anyone had experience with them or knew pros and cons of them. i want helper springs for my 3/4 ton so i can have load and lowering capacity. i like the price and seem to be an easy bolt on. i'd have to ditch a couple of leafs (i have 9 now) to be able to get down a bit but i was unsure if they would work with lowering shackles and hangers. i doubt i'd have room to mount the upper bag mount on the frame but i'd like to hear from others.

'74 GMC 3/4 TON 2WD LB
randyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:31 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: has anyone used one of these kits?

I have used similar kits that had a smaller bag. I had that set up on two trucks and it worked very well. One had a flip and one had shackle only. It worked great when I wanted to add a load.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:42 AM   #3
Tony@AirRideTech

as far as I know.... they will not work with a shackle & hanger kit. You end up reducing the verticle spacing height too much. You could probably get it to go by fabbing or modifying the upper mount and moving it to hang above the frame rail.
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:58 AM   #4
Mkcustums

I saw that similar kit on a half ton with a flip, 2 leafs, shackle, and a block. The bracket was mounted in front of the axle, not above. If I remember right it layed the back of the frame on the ground and still got decent-"ish" lift. I'm sure the axle wrap was bad and a few other things, but it worked. Not sure I would tow much that way though. (The bracket ended up getting welded cause it was mounted too high)

But I know on other aplications they work and are totally safe if your truck is lowered.

Last edited by Mkcustums; 01-18-2008 at 02:00 AM.
Mkcustums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
randyjohn

excellent input guys. thanks alot.

idea: what if i fabbed new bottom mounts and mounted the airbags on the inside of the frame rails with shackles and hangers on the outside where they normally are?

'74 GMC 3/4 TON 2WD LB
Old 01-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
Mkcustums

My opinion, the further outward that they are mounted, would make the truck more stable when loaded.

Plus way easier to mount it up, you would have to box the inside of the frame. It's totally ok to have them on the outside, unless you are concerned about contact from a tire or something.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
randyjohn

i wasn't concerned with tire clearance. i was thinking that because the bag mount bolts on top of the leaf pack and i have 9 leaves, if i moved it to the other side and mounted the bag closer to the axle, i wouldn't have to have the upper bag mount so high that i needed an adapter plate. but, i also see what you're saying about having the bags further outwards. "wider is better."

also, how many leaves would you say would be safe to take out? i know that most 1/2 tons have 5 and if i'm adding helper bags i don't need the extra support so what would be best.

'74 GMC 3/4 TON 2WD LB
Old 01-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
Mkcustums

I have never broken a leaf spring, but have heard about it. Also heard that you need to have at least two in there, never just the main. Thats when they start breaking.

What if you just switched your pack to a 3 or 4 leaf 1/2 ton set? I'm not sure what the difference is between the two. You can get a set for like $10-$20 used.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
randyjohn

i guess i don't see the point in spending the extra $ on a new set if removing leaves in my pack will get the same results unless i have a sprung leaf in which case i probably will just opt for new.

one thing i am wondering about is i've heard that some guys, when first getting started, use shrader valves instead of spending the extra money on on-board compressors. what are some of the setups that people have used? no tank/ no comp with shraders for each bag, tank with shrader valve, did they install solenoids, where did they put their valves on the truck to be filled?

'74 GMC 3/4 TON 2WD LB