The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
sacustomcycle

Rust question

Is there any hope for a cab with rust like this? If there is, what would be the best approach to fixing it? I haven't had any luck finding a replacement cab around my area that is in any better shape. Does anyone ever chop the whole top off and replace it with another one? The floor of the cab isn't much better than the top. The PO was at Corpus Christi on the coast and the salt ate it up. Surprisingly, the bed and frame are solid.
Attached Images

sacustomcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:09 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Rust question

Man, that's a lot of rust in there. I'm originally from C.C. and I've seen some vehicles just sit and rust into nothing by the Gulf. Lots of salt spray and if you get on the beach and don't wash the vehicles out thoroughly afterwards the salt will eat it up.

In my opinion, that is the worst place to have rust. I immediately turn away from any truck that has rust on the cab top. Not because it's hopeless, but because I'm not a body man and the cost fix would be too much. I'd say keep looking for a cab. May take some time but you will find one...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:22 AM   #3
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Re: Rust question

well, my cab has similar rust above the drivers window too. Fortunately my rear pillars are ok, but my floor is shot. The PO put the floor and cab corners together with rivets and bondo. No wait it was held together with bondo mainly, and a random rivet here and there. Once I got it blasted, I did find a tack weld here and there!!!!

Since I'm way down in S. FL it's really hard to find a donor so I'm going to try to do as much as I can with it.
I'm going to start from the floor and make my way up. When I get to the drip rail and roof sections, I'll take it one step at a time.
I have a buddy who has a full blacksmith shop with numerous power hammers, planishing hammers, English wheels, etc, And my neighbor is a SS Sculptor between the two of them and my tools I have just about anything a metalworker could ever need. So I might be able to simply fab panels if there isn't major structural damage up there(Which I suspect that there is)

If here is, I might end up taking a road trip somewhere to pick up a donor, I'll see when I get there.

I wish I had a better answer for ya!, but since you are in the middle of the states instead of way way down where I am, I'd look for a cab...

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72

Last edited by Mordachai; 01-21-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote