The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Rigo's 70 C10

Paint

Guys, I have a question. I have been asking local paint shops in the Roswell, NM are for prices to restore my truck. My truck has minimal rust in the normal spots. All these guys are starting off at 7K. That seems astronomical to me, especially since i have seen the quality of work they do. The welds for replacement sheets are scary, ugly, and quite frankly look like a four year old did hte welding. Is it worth leaning how to do body work and extend my project, or how do you guys suggest i do this. I will consider trailering my truck to a shop hundreds of miles away. What is your guys take on my dilema. Your input will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
Rigo's 70 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
AuggieStyle

Re: Paint

does not sound too far out of line, i have charged a lot more. it all depends on the truck. you could do it yourself but the learning curve is a b*tch.
the number one thing about body work is patience. if you have that you could do it yourself. there are a lot of hacks out there and if you take it to someone that does collision work it will take you a long time to get your truck back if business is good most collision shops do restos on the side as filler work. if you take it to a resto shop expect to pay 55-75 an hour depending on the reputation.
AuggieStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

I had never done any resto work but just dug in knowing I would learn along the way. I started with the cab rust fix then moved onto the exterior panel fixes. If you take the time you can do it, don't let anyone tell you its rocket science, its not. Just be realistic with your schedule, stick to it even when you have a bad day in the garage, and its possible to just do it on your own. These are some of the stages that my truck went through...
Attached Images

Last edited by BigSky71; 01-20-2008 at 06:49 PM.
BigSky71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

if there welds are so bad, why are you even talking to them?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

I think that if you are seeing the work they do..And your not impressed, move on..As far as you learning it your self...well shure you can , and why wouldnt you want to knowledge is free....Anyone can do bodywork...well or think they can. Id say that if you already have some skills..then yes..shure you can .Bigsky71 is a very talented guy...just look at the pics...(nice truck by the way BigSky71). And with time and alittle know how you could have a truck as nice as his...Its just like learning anything else... I for one hate doing body work...but i do it every day, day in and day out...at a production shop at that.But i love doing it at home( no pressure or deadlines)...IMO i would do your research . get some tools...and have at it...Dont be scared to make mistakes, or ask questions, There is about 30,000 or so people and myself...that you ask questions............

Tony

Edit...for a laughing fact...at work we always say. If god wanted mechanics and painters to be smart he would have made them bodytechs......

Last edited by bad6772; 01-20-2008 at 08:52 PM.
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Wink Re: Paint

my take on this subject has always been the same (FIRST TIME I've SEEN IT HERE) most of the time it's on the camaro tech page , but anyway they try to charge those ridiculous price's for something that anyone can do , I do all mine myself and the one thing I have never had is the right tool's and a place to work , with that being said here is my 67's that I did a complete rebuild repaint rust repair and all by myself !!! the worst thing about my work is the bug's and dust that get into my paint because I don't have a garage to paint in , the way I look at it I'm NOT GOING TO PAY 10K for someone to tell me how difficult and how much like brain surgery paint and bodywork is IT'S NOT

my advice DO IT YOURSELF

I built both these vehicle's at home in what can be described as a SHED with a $20 dollar paint gun a $59 dollar welder from eastwood and my labor !!!!

in these pic's you can see my shed in the background , (LOL) it's funny when I think about it
Attached Images

19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
Gray Ghost

I have to agree, especially if it is going to be a driver. I have two other friends who do most everything themselves and I am about to do the same with my work truck and my 67 project.

All that said, the amount is not too high IF you want a show truck job. From the sound of things I wouldn't choose them to do the job.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 01-20-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
70GMCer

If you're not in a hurry, do it yourself. Then you can brag and say "I did this rebuild myself"

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:15 AM   #9
see ten
WTB this ad

All these guys are correct but if you don't feel up to the task of doing it yourself you need to start doing some research. Start hitting every car show and cruise in within driving distance. Check out the rides with what you feel is work comparable to what you want and talk to the owners to find out who did the work for them. When you find the right man for the job, you'll know it.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:33 AM   #10
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
All these guys are correct but if you don't feel up to the task of doing it yourself you need to start doing some research. Start hitting every car show and cruise in within driving distance. Check out the rides with what you feel is work comparable to what you want and talk to the owners to find out who did the work for them. When you find the right man for the job, you'll know it.
Bingo...we have winner. All the above replies are noteworthy but see ten has hit the nail on the head.
1) If you are mechanically challenged like me...then look for a good body/paint shop.
2) Do you have the time and space to do your own work?
3) Do you enjoy doing body work? If not...seek out a paint shop.
4) Do you have the equipment to do your own work? If not now you will need to research on type of equipment to purchase.
5) How to get good leads...Car shows, cruise ins, or if you see a nice resto job seek put the owner and ask questions.
6) If you find a Body Shop you like...get references and check them out.
Good Luck Rigo's 70 C10 with you decision.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 01-21-2008 at 12:36 AM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:40 AM   #11
whatnow123

I have to agree with everyone above, do it yourself. I have never attempted a "resto" before my truck. I was always into the mechanical side of things. It's fairly easy, but very time consuming to get it right. And get the right tools, gas mig welder (never welded before I started my truck) and an air compressor as a start.

Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=219094

Last edited by whatnow123; 01-21-2008 at 12:42 AM.
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:50 AM   #12
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Arrow Re: Paint

one other thing to think about is the MONEY $$$$$$$
I will be the first to admit that if I had to pay for having my two current 67's worked on by someone else to get them to their current condition ,,,,,,,,,,,,
I SIMPLY WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO OWN THEM , most paint shop's would charge me more to paint my 67 truck THAN I HAVE IN IT !!!!!!!!
so doing it yourself has that on it's side too , and as far as buying a grinder or a paint gun or any tool's they will still belong to you after you get done ,
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:06 AM   #13
sick69

Personally I absolutly hate body work! But I Enjoy being able to say " I did it all myself " more than I dislike body work.

As said before body work isn't hard just time consuming. Extremely time consuming. So ALOT of patients are required to do it correctly.

I have a few mods to the body so I'm still doing those before I spray anything. When those are done and I have re-assembled to make sure fit is good I will disassemble and start priming and doing any little imperfections I may find. I have already done the major stuff like rockers and cab corners so it shouldn't be bad at all to do the rest, just time.

If you want to do it yourself you can. I just may take a little longer if you have to learn it as you go.

Frank

Last edited by sick69; 01-21-2008 at 01:07 AM.
sick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:11 AM   #14
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

One thing I've learned is, if you want something done right do it yourself if you have the knowledge and experience or pay good money to have someone that has the reputation do it. Good work comes at a price.

However, since I'm retired and don't have the money to pay the asking price that some shops want, I'm willing to take my time and learn. I've got the time now...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:04 AM   #15
Premium72

do it yourself.
you wont have to deal with some asshole running a shop puttn you off every time you call.
you wont be mad cuase you dont know whats goin on with your truck
and youll have the satisfaction of being able to say. I DID AL OF THIS. for 7 grand you can afford all kinds or paint tools welding tools sheet metal what ever. dont take that thing anywhere but to your shop and get busy!!
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:12 AM   #16
Rigo's 70 C10

Guys,
Thanks for the input. Looks like i am going to pick up a mig welder and an air sander. I love my truck and refuse to let some yahoo do some crap work on it. Walking into a shop and seeing the kinds of welds i saw was scary. Especially if this guy claims to be one of hte best in the area. I love this message board, everyone has the same intrests at heart. I purchased some books today and i am going to start doing some research. I am also going to sign up for some classes at the local community college. Auto body/paint and welding. Guys I will soon take pics of my beauty and post them. I will be sure to document all my successes with it. Thank you for your words of advice.

Rigo
Rigo's 70 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:23 AM   #17
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigo's 70 C10 View Post
Guys,
Thanks for the input. Looks like i am going to pick up a mig welder and an air sander. .... Thank you for your words of advice.
Rigo
Glad to hear it. I think it was mentioned above but another thing about doing this stuff yourself is that so many body shops have a very tough time estimating how long a project will take or when they will actually start working on your project. Every rebuild project that I know of that has been "sent out" for paint and body has been gone far far longer than the owner hoped or was told.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:25 AM   #18
Pl4yboy
Freeeeee Mason...

After the pain in the ass I went through for two years with the body work / paint on mine... I wish I would have done it myself.
Pl4yboy is offline   Reply With Quote