The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
72bigred

60 Front end swop or no?

I recently picked up one heck of a nice project that was started and gave up on, I have battled myself as to go back to orig or not. After reading about some of the neat mods people have done and the fact that the orig 6cyl/3speed are gone I figure why not make it comfortable to drive. Motor wise 283/400th is what I have settled on, power steering update, Tilt column, drop it 2.5 and 4. I get stuck on the front end.. I have read alot about the front end swop out of the late 70s and getting rid of the orig suspension.. On the other hand I keep going over in my head why not just put a nice set of drop spindles on the front and keep the 6 lug and move forward.

I would like some advice from those that have done the swop vs those that have chosen to stay with the torsion bar set up. I am new to the early 60's and want to know what benifits I will be getting from the swop. One of my concerns is of course parts, if I swop of course they become easy to get vs staying with orig. I know I must go disc but other than that what am I really getting if I do the swop. One of my concerns is petty but I am a neat freak and since the cross member differs motor mounts will have to be fabbed ( I believe the cross member is higher based on looks, havent actually measured.) I dont know if what I have seen has just been bad work but most of them appear to be hack jobs. Any and all opinions/experiences are greatly appreciated. Possibly a pic or two, maybe a pic of a decent mount set up might inspire me more to do the swop.. Just up in the air at this point.

Thanks again.

BigRed

Last edited by 72bigred; 01-26-2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
72bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:22 AM   #2
slepysal

Re: 60 Front end swop or no?

On my 60 I decided to stay with the stock set up. I bought a power sterring bracket , gearbox, pump, hoses, a van tilt column, and a drop spindle disc brake kit. I hope to install it soon.
I went this way becuse I felt it would be easier for ME to do. Some will say it is harder but for me installing spindles,is easier then swaping out the whole cross member.
BUT... if you have help and dont mind a little modifying of your frame ,the cross member is the way to go.
As far as parts the new spindles use 71-72 truck components, the glitch of the 60-62's ( among other things ) are the lower ball joints ,they are expensive.
Im sure what ever way you go you'll be happy keep us posted oh and WElCOME!!

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
Daniel 61 Apache

Sal, where did you get your disc brake kit from?
Daniel 61 Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:08 AM   #4
slepysal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel 61 Apache View Post
Sal, where did you get your disc brake kit from?
I got mine from www.mcgaughys.com , also I forgot to ask is yours a stick or an auto trans?

Old 01-31-2008, 04:06 AM   #5
Daniel 61 Apache

Auto. I posted pics of my tranny crossmember for you a while back.

How much was the disc kit? I'm debating on buying a new one or going to the junkyard to try and see if I could just swap spindles and ball joints.

Last edited by Daniel 61 Apache; 01-31-2008 at 04:09 AM.
Daniel 61 Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:20 AM   #6
slepysal

oh yea sorry spindles were 229.00 and the calipers/6lug rotors were about 250.00

Old 01-31-2008, 05:51 AM   #7
Fastrucken

72bigred... Little off topic but why have you decided on a th400 behinde the 283.. a th350 is more then strong enough to handle a 283 and will free up noticable amount of power.... Honestly for not that much more $$ you could put a 700r4 in there and I promice this combo would make you the happiest, I came from a 283 and a th350....

Graham

Last edited by Fastrucken; 01-31-2008 at 05:51 AM.
Fastrucken is offline   Reply With Quote