The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2003, 03:09 PM   #1
68 Suburban

Binding 3 on the Tree Linkage?

What are the causes and the cures? Thanks
68 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 03:24 PM   #2
Dutch

I can tell you how my Dad fixed it...

....when I was a kid my Dad had a rusty ol 69 with a 250 and 3 on the tree. He always had me ride with him to jump out and jiggle the linkage free when it stuck so he wouldn't have to......

1972 Super Cheyenne K20
1976 MGB
1950 Harley FL
1997 Arctic Cat ZR580

"Maybe if I had a couple less hobbies, I'd have time to enjoy one!"
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 03:25 PM   #3
68 Suburban

Re: I can tell you how my Dad fixed it...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dutch
....when I was a kid my Dad had a rusty ol 69 with a 250 and 3 on the tree. He always had me ride with him to jump out and jiggle the linkage free when it stuck so he wouldn't have to......
That seems to be the problem with the vehicle I am talking about. Anyone know what the cure would be, besides putting a floor shifter? I would like to keep the colum shift.
68 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 03:31 PM   #4
Shane
Account Suspended

Replace the plastic bushings in the "ears" that are mounted on the column. These are the pieces that the linkage actually runs thru. Lat time I checked, these items were still available from the local GM dealership/parts suppliers.

Hope this helps ...
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 01:03 AM   #5
skillet

My '67 had the same problem. Ever so often I would replace a couple of bushings where the linkages joined to the transmission. They were rubber covered brass pieces, sorta of a bushing/washer piece. I would also spray the gear assembly where it passed thru. the firewall with
wd-40 and then follow that up with a lubricant. Spraying silicon onto the shifter also seemed to help, not sure if your're supposed to spray into the column, but it seemed to help. I didn't know about the plastic things in the steering column, that would have been more of a long term fix, like the brass bushings.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:08 AM   #6
magoo72

man i feel for ya! i can remember when i was a teenager takin a young lady on a date in my fine 68' tryin to impress all dressed up,when i get to a redlite and the old linkage lock up reared its ugly head! had to jump out at a red lite,traffick backed up,middle of the summer and get out ,pop the hood and jiggle the linkage till it came unstckted! get back in all hot and sweaty ,grease all over my hands! how embarresed was i? SHAMED! but she had a good sense of humer about it. and wound up being my wife,for a few years.
i never did solve the problem ,i just learned how to move the three on the tree to avoid it.
good luck to you,just be sure and carry plenty rags with ya if your goin out on a date! mr magoo
magoo72 is offline   Reply With Quote