The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Re: Prepping for a BBC conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonr1973 View Post
subscribed!
Thanks!
87Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
baclay9

Do you happen to know what stall you are running. I called Comp and they reccomended the same came you have. Which isn't suprising I guess considering our setups will be similiar.

Where did you order your valves from? Did they come from PBM directly? When it shows the price of the valves is that for a set of 8?
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baclay9 View Post
Do you happen to know what stall you are running. I called Comp and they reccomended the same came you have. Which isn't suprising I guess considering our setups will be similiar.

Where did you order your valves from? Did they come from PBM directly? When it shows the price of the valves is that for a set of 8?
I don't know if the stall is on the cam card or not. My guess it would be in the 2500 range though. My brother is a machinist and works just outside of Lousiville, KY. PBM is local for him and is where he gets alot of parts from. Yes, believe they sell valves in boxes of 8.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
baclay9

The guy at comp told me I would be alright with a 2000 to 2200. If you happen to find out what yours is for sure could you please let me know
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
baclay9

From the looks of it you went with a mechanical advance distributor over a vacuum advance. Could you tell me why. There is a guy on CL here that has the same dist. you have, a MSD-6AL ignition box, and a blaster 2 coil for $340. I just wanted to make sure I shouldn't be running a vacuum advance befor I dropped the dough on it.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Quote:
From the looks of it you went with a mechanical advance distributor over a vacuum advance. Could you tell me why. There is a guy on CL here that has the same dist. you have, a MSD-6AL ignition box, and a blaster 2 coil for $340. I just wanted to make sure I shouldn't be running a vacuum advance befor I dropped the dough on it.
I talked to several racers who recommended the various setups. The only thing I'd like to do is change out the springs in the distributor and see how that helps/hurts. The Digital 6 handles the rest.

So, I trusted what they said and so far it's been a great decision for my application which is a driver to and from work occasionally, and out on the weekends cruising around. It's got about 5000 miles on it now but it's never been HAMMERED and ragged on yet. The most it's seen is about 4250 and that was fun!

Not a bad price.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
baclay9

Do you happen to have a part # on the fans you ended up going with? I looked through the thread and couldn't find it. Do you remember how many cfm they were?
Old 12-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Quote:
Do you happen to have a part # on the fans you ended up going with? I looked through the thread and couldn't find it. Do you remember how many cfm they were?
Sorry for the delay.. I've been off the board for a while, but if you still need it, that's a Flex-a-lite 220 fan set rated at 2500cfm. Get something bigger if you can. It does great above 30-40mph, but idling in traffic it doesn't take long to get over 200 degrees and keep getting hotter. I start figeting when I see that temp rise too much for my liking and look for ways to get some speed to get the temp down. I've found that if you take the temp outside and add 100 degrees to it, that's where the water temp usually hangs.

Here's the link to the one I got from summit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-220/
Old 11-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #9
Valhalla

very nice truck man. I am picking that body style for my next when my 70 is done.

Cheap work is never good and good work is never cheap. Lesson = learn to do it all the right way on your own.

SqueegeeMan
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
very nice truck man. I am picking that body style for my next when my 70 is done.
Thanks!!
Old 04-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #11
baclay9

Where does your oil pressure sending unit go? I thought I knew where it went, on the drivers side of the block at the front just behind the power steering pump. But the threads are nowhere near the same. Is there some kind of adapter I need?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
sarge75801

Quote:
Where does your oil pressure sending unit go? I thought I knew where it went, on the drivers side of the block at the front just behind the power steering pump. But the threads are nowhere near the same. Is there some kind of adapter I need?
Posted via Mobile Device
There a couple of holes near the oil filter mount. Your oil pressure gauge should have come with 2 adapters, one of which will fit these holes.
sarge75801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge75801 View Post
There a couple of holes near the oil filter mount. Your oil pressure gauge should have come with 2 adapters, one of which will fit these holes.
That's where mine is.. driver side of motor just above the filter. Hole already there to screw sending unit into. Connects to control unit of the Dakota Digital cluster.

Kenny
Old 04-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #14
sarge75801

There are two holes, different size. Autometer sends adapters to use either hole
Posted via Mobile Device
sarge75801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #15
baclay9

I have another one for you. I didn't see much info about your transmission. I am assuming it is a TH400?

When going from a TH350 to a TH 400 did moving the trans crossmember to the rear mounting location accomidate the longer trans? I went ahead and moved mine it hopes that the trans would line up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #16
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

I really can't remember but it seems like we had to modify it a bit. I'm also thinking we used the x-member out of the '76 donor truck as well.

Next time, I'm under it, I'll look and see if it's the original one or not and what changes we made to it if any.

Ken
Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #17
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Yesterday, the 87Lowrider was sold to a dealer in S. Indiana. I picked up an '05 Silverado Stepside 4x4 as it's replacement. Thanks for all the help from everyone here in getting it to where it was.