The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2008, 04:08 AM   #1
NEVERENOUGH

Help wont start

Ok I need your help my son has been working on a 75 blazer and needs some help. I am not able to get in the garage since I broke my neck and him and my dad are at their wits end. They shorted a wire out that goes to the alternator and now we have no power. The headlights aren't working and the truck wont turn over. We have replace one fuseable link on the firewall and that didn't help. Where should we look next? Thanks for any and all help.
NEVERENOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
89 crew

Re: Help wont start

Check the wire going from the starter to the 2 post block on the firewall for power. If it is good there try wiggling the main power block going through the firewall. If neither work post back.
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I think there is an inline fuse close to the power block as well, IIRC. I think there is a fusable link that goes down to the starter also.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
NEVERENOUGH

Ok 89 crew checked both of those and power to both and still nothing. The battery is good and I am still not getting anything to happen no headlights and nothing when he turns the key. Any more ideas have checked all fuseable links and still nothing.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
89 crew

Check the battery cable and make sure it's connected properly, the solenoid cap isn't broken, I am thinking the small wire that hooks on the post with the battery cable must be the problem. track it till you find another fuseable link or break. you might also look for corrosion on the bat cable and power constant wires where they hook to the solenoid. If there is enough scale built up on them it could cause no power. Don't forget to check ground cable. take a set of jumper cables and hook from neg post back to the block. If none of this works replace solenoid.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:12 AM   #6
hotrodhomi

If you are not using a voltmeter you are just guessing. I would start with buying a voltmeter. Then trace back from the battery until you find the problem. I would buy a Fluke but they can be pricey. But, you can get a cheap one (generic) for about $20-$30. Let me know if you don't know how to use one.

Last edited by hotrodhomi; 02-26-2008 at 01:13 AM.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:16 AM   #7
NEVERENOUGH

Ok I will get a voltmeter tomorrow. For now it seems like we are gettting power all the way to the fuse block and not getting any power there. Thanks for the help so far we will keep trying thanks again.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:33 AM   #8
89 crew

If you are getting power to the block but not inside the cab then it has to be in that connection. take it apart, clean it up dielectric silicone the connection and reinstall.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:36 AM   #9
NEVERENOUGH

Ok we have power to only one connection on the fuse block is that correct or should there be more. Also how would you recomend cleaning the contacts?