The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
Old Rust Bucket

Audio in C20, starting from scratch

Here's the plan. Tear out the entire old audio system and replace it with a new (Pioneer) radio and new speakers. This brings up a few issues. 1) The old radio is shaft mount the new radio will not be. What parts will be needed and where can I find them. 2) Where are the speakers located on a '76 C20. These GM are new to me and I haven't yet got the truck home to look it over. I want the end result to LOOK NICE AND/OR FACTORY. I am not going to hack up an original dash in good shape to make this work.
I was hoping someone here had been down this road before and could give me instructions on how to do it easy and without hacking up the dash.

Thanks,
ORB
Old Rust Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: Audio in C20, starting from scratch

Since we are starting from scratch and you aren't opposed to the idea of cutting the dash a little, install a new head unit from Pioneer. Anything at or above the DEH4000UB will do nicely. Anything lower is crap.

You can use any of them to power a set of 4" speakers that you can mount either in or under the dash.

You could up you game and add a 4ch amp, a set of components, and a sub. All up to you.

My Pioneer DEH-880PRS:

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
Old Rust Bucket

That in the picture is clean looking. Did you have to fabricate any brakets to hold the back of the radio?

I'm trying to think here but many of the aftermarket radios have a square "box" that fits the hole snug and the radio it's self fits into that.
Old Rust Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:27 AM   #4
Mr79C10
It Is What It Is,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rust Bucket View Post
That in the picture is clean looking. Did you have to fabricate any brakets to hold the back of the radio?

I'm trying to think here but many of the aftermarket radios have a square "box" that fits the hole snug and the radio it's self fits into that.
Thats when the fun part starts with a saw
79 C-10 project
.........................__
..............._____ l __\___
..............|_(O)_ |___(O) ]
FAQ INDEX Thread
The Kulture
My Rat Den
Mr79C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:51 AM   #5
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rust Bucket View Post

There's a small bracket on the back of the radio for support. The whole unit fits into a mounting sleeve just like you described. I used a pieces of ABS plastic and also a small boit if trim around the edge of the unit.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote