The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #26
streetmaster42

Re: Anybody's project turning into a cash cow.

I was also thinkin about runnin the 275/60/15's on 15x8's up front, and 325/50/15's on 15x10's out back.
streetmaster42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #27
DESTRO

MOOOOO!!
Yeah, I've got a cash cow, but man is it fun. I dont have a problem putting cash into it to get it right. I plan on keeping it so it really doesnt matter. Now if I could get the wife on board with that thought process I'd be golden!!
DESTRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #28
streetmaster42

Man i didnt think that this thread would get as many hits as it did, but you guys are getting me all pumped up again. Im ready to go out and start gringing on mine right now, and it midnight.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #29
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

GOOD!!! I thought I was nuts & I see I must not be. I just got done with mine, except the inside and painting up new wheels. I've got the parts ,but waiting for warm weather. When I was working for GM back in 92 I bought all the exteriour sheetmetal and those parts sat until 07. No point in rushing things right?? I started work on it about 5 months ago. IF I use current prices for factory GM parts and add that to all the other sruff I had to buy from LMC ect. I have almost 20 grand invested. Actual cost is more like 15 grand. Still alot when your on SS though. I saved alot because I did all the work except painting. I went overboard though. Cab floor is new in both foot wells, cab corners, rocker panels and then the entire underside fiberglassed inside and out, then bedlinered. Box is all new except front plate, and thats bedlinered underneath as well as inside. New windshield, new vent windows and frames (GM) and new rear sliding glass also GM. Paint is black with heavy metalflake and white perl. I have yet to build the framework for the belly pan\running boards. I have a ton of pics of work done, but this is the finished product. Pic doesen't do it justice though, enjoy Jim
Attached Images

1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:24 PM   #30
sighlurr

Cash Cow? This thing hasn't made me a penny!

Mine is a cash hole.
sighlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #31
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

CASH COW? How about the whole herd.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #32
streetmaster42

Yeah, i just wish that the hole herd didnt have to go back into the barn so many times. LOL
Old 03-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #33
TexasJeff
Don't Crush em Restore em

I think most of know we will never get everything out of our trucks that we put into them. I figure in the last 10 years I have over $10,000 in my truck, but I have used it for most of that 10 years to. Believe me it is no show truck but I never built to be a show truck either. From a daily driver for a while to a truck I only drive 4000 or 5000 miles a year now, most of that is pulling a camper around this great state of Texas. I do use my truck as a truck to from hauling parts for friends, to dirt for the yard. I may never get my money back out of my truck the memories are priceless, and it get a lot of looks around town.

1998 Red with Gray Interior, C3500 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #34
mhicks

I'm not telling anybody what I have in mine. LOL.
How many of you are making payments on 'em though? Gotta look at it that way too, no interest either!!
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:22 AM   #35
streetmaster42

Nice truck TexasJeff, I sure hope mine looks as good as yours, when its all said and done. At fist i had trouble getting my doors to line up right, thats because the idiet that i had to weld the cab corners, and rockers on it, done a crapy job. So i had to cut them out again and start over. So im gonna give it a shot myself this time.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:09 AM   #36
AceX
>130dB Moderator

You're talking to a guy who bought his truck for $1000 and immediately stuck $3000 in a stereo system for it...

Right after we finished the stereo and lowered the truck, I was offered $10k for it. At that point, that was more money than I had put into the truck, including the gas and insurance...

As it stand, we have more than $12k into this truck and I'm not quite done. Plans for a BBC swap have been tossed into the mix, and there is additional suspension work I would like to see done, but right now the budget dictates that I do all the work myself and that work has to have almost no cost for materials...

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:33 AM   #37
Russell
Professional Grade

Just found out I have another $1500 to spend on my engine, doah!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:53 AM   #38
streetmaster42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceX View Post
You're talking to a guy who bought his truck for $1000 and immediately stuck $3000 in a stereo system for it...

Right after we finished the stereo and lowered the truck, I was offered $10k for it. At that point, that was more money than I had put into the truck, including the gas and insurance...

As it stand, we have more than $12k into this truck and I'm not quite done. Plans for a BBC swap have been tossed into the mix, and there is additional suspension work I would like to see done, but right now the budget dictates that I do all the work myself and that work has to have almost no cost for materials...
WOW $3000 for a stereo system, i bet you listen to country music to ha?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #39
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

well not yet but I bought mine for a grand in February 06 and parked it because it had some hard core engine problems and truck was beat up and started on it in june and I took it down to cab sitting on the frame and I had it all back together in with the inside of the cab painted and all of the body work done ine August and in October had it paited, If I went some where I got job it would of cost around 8 grand, but it only cost me around 2 grand for paint and supplies,the interior has a grand in it the motor cost me a whoppin $200 bucks for a 350 bored 30 over with a r/v cam edle brock intake and carb hooker long tubes, and it was just rebuild when I bought it, the suspenion has a grand in it all new bushines 5-7 lowering kit, beafed up TH350 with about 40 miles on it, so I would say about 7 grand so far but it still not close of being done, new wheels and tires, wiring harnes "because I afraid my trucks is going to burn to the ground"
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #40
bb1979

now lets see

purchase price - $3500
engines/drivetrains - $10,000
suspension - $1000
parts trucks - new body/bed/misc - $2500
rims/tyres - $2000

All of this spent in the last 5 years and it still looks like a farm truck, I still have to buy a new front clip $2500 and get the body work done yet.

My girlfriend just calls it my mistress lol
Old 03-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #41
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetmaster42 View Post
WOW $3000 for a stereo system, i bet you listen to country music to ha?
Death metal mostly... MB Quart's Q-Line speakers are EXPENSIVE. So is Dynamat...

I don't really want to hijack this thread by posting pics and specs on both of the systems that I've had, so just check out the link in my sig for the new stuff...

EDIT: Ok, maybe a pic of the sub box...

Here's one showing the EQ and kick panel...

And just for kicks, the custom lower door panels...

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.

Last edited by AceX; 03-06-2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: I'm an attention whore
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #42
streetmaster42

I bet Led Zepplin, Pink Floid, Metalica, oh yes and even a little Shania Twain, would be a perfect match for that killer system you got.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:32 AM   #43
moneyeater

[QUOTE=streetstar;2609570]If its taking 10 years , your either going at quarter speed, or you are building a masterpiece.

4 years (max) is what i think it would take to turn a hammered pile of bolts into something nice.

4 years is roughly 200 weeks x 5 hours a week is 1000 hours. You can get a lot done in that amount of time, but 1000 hours likely isnt enough to win at Starbirds , but you can have a pretty nice truck, nonetheless -- all this is speculative and depends on the builder not going completely broke in the process

I´m building a masterpiece!!! 14 years at it now and i´m not finished yet!
Invested about 25000 Euros (37000$) and thats money i never had--honestly!

´81 GMC C 10, Spanish Red
moneyeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:10 AM   #44
slug

Dont Get Me Started On How Much Money I'v Thrown Into This Pig. Iv Had Her For 13 Years And I Am Starting Over From Scratch Right Now. I'v Swapped Engines 4 Times, Trannys 5 Times, Totaly Striped It And Repainted It, Stripping It Down And Repainting Again, Interior Has Ben Swapped, You Get The Picture. If Anyone Knows How Much Money It Takes To Get A Truck The Way You Want It, It Would Be You Guys (and Gals).
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:35 AM   #45
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

I am in the same boat, about 3 times over: 78 K5 Jimmy, 87 R10, and 73 C10..... You don't want to know how much is in the 73... I have had it for almost 20 years...
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #46
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

lol @ kaos....

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #47
1low1

oh yeah way too much cash spent on my truck, and i'm cheap so a few things i've cheaped out on have come back to haunt me causing me to spend even more!!!! not only that but when i did majority of my work our canadian dollar sucked and i paid a ton extra for parts out of the usa now are dollar is great but i'm almost done ......for now!!!!LOL!!!
1low1 is offline   Reply With Quote